• 4 Post By MacCool
  • 1 Post By MacCool

Thread: Grilling Setups....

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Thanks

Grilling Setups....

I am considering buying/building some sort of table or cart to put my Big Green Egg on. Right now it's just sitting in it's "nest". I'd like something with some shelves or drawers so I can put my grill tools away, maybe store the heat deflector plate and maybe even store a bag or two of charcoal. (My garage is about 100' away from the grilling area, so I have to go back and forth when I need to refuel the smoker)

I'd be interested in seeing pics of whatever you other guys with BGE's / Kamado Joe's / etc. are using. Ideally I'd like something where the BGE is actually sitting on/in this cart, but not opposed to just seeing a standalone cart. Not really interested in seeing pics of actual "outdoor kitchens" unless you have your BGE integrated into it.

Considering something standalone and just leaving the BGE in its nest just because I'm pretty afraid of even trying to lift my assembled BGE!

On a related idea - can you take a regular gas grill and build it into a cart like I'm thinking of? Would be pretty cool to have my grill and my BGE as one integrated unit.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    I am considering buying/building some sort of table or cart to put my Big Green Egg on. Right now it's just sitting in it's "nest". I'd like something with some shelves or drawers so I can put my grill tools away, maybe store the heat deflector plate and maybe even store a bag or two of charcoal. (My garage is about 100' away from the grilling area, so I have to go back and forth when I need to refuel the smoker)

I'd be interested in seeing pics of whatever you other guys with BGE's / Kamado Joe's / etc. are using. Ideally I'd like something where the BGE is actually sitting on/in this cart, but not opposed to just seeing a standalone cart. Not really interested in seeing pics of actual "outdoor kitchens" unless you have your BGE integrated into it.

Considering something standalone and just leaving the BGE in its nest just because I'm pretty afraid of even trying to lift my assembled BGE!

On a related idea - can you take a regular gas grill and build it into a cart like I'm thinking of? Would be pretty cool to have my grill and my BGE as one integrated unit.

Made from Red Cedar. The base for the BGE is piece of polished granite that I bought from a cabinet shop. I used SS screws, and a set of industrial grade rollers in the front. The handle I made from a glued up piece that I formed with an antique draw knife, because I don't have a lathe. It is probably nine or ten years old now, and weathered considerably, but still functions great. I keep most of my grilling paraphernalia in the garage, but if I wanted it all outside, I would probably buy a small cabinet instead of making drawers for my table.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3411.JPG   100_3412.JPG   100_3413.JPG   100_3414.JPG  
    Have wings, will travel.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 2LaneCruzer For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (06-27-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks
    I actually drew up my own plans, based on stuff I got off the internet...and there's a lot out there:

plans for BGE table - Google Search

The only hitch, was that I needed another half inch clearance for the lid to open because I didn't properly account for the downward movement of the hinge. I compensated by putting a set of the ceramic BGE feet under my egg; works fine now.
    mark02tj likes this.
    Have wings, will travel.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 2LaneCruzer For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (06-27-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:29 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post

I've been cooking BGE for more than a decade. I built this cart many years ago, but a few years ago had a local fabricator form the stainless steel top for it. It lays nicely over the original top and is held mostly just by some construction adhesive. I keep 2-3 bags of lump charcoal in a 30 gallon Rubbermaid container, and wood chips in a smaller Rubbermaid.

2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MacCool For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (06-27-2019)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I would add that I know of various restaurant supply stores that have a wide variety of used stainless steel tables and carts that they pull out of restaurants when the install new fixtures. That used/surplus stuff in some cases goes pretty cheap and on the BGE forums, I see guys that have grabbed some of that stuff and made some nice grilling tables/carts.
    mark02tj likes this.
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MacCool For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (06-28-2019)

12. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    For ideas, tips, tricks on the Big Green Egg, consider cruising the EggHead forums....MANY helpful people there with MANY tips on a wide variety of topics.

EGG Table Forum — Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MacCool For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (06-29-2019)

14. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Thanks
    THANKS 2Lane and MacCool! I will check out the BGE forums.

Sent by Tapatalk using the tiny keyboard on my phone. That explains the typos!
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements