• 1 Post By Treefarmer
  • 2 Post By DanW

Thread: Trigger pulled on Camp Chef Woodwind SG w/sear box

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Thanks

Trigger pulled on Camp Chef Woodwind SG w/sear box

As the title says, I pulled the trigger and am awaiting delivery of the Camp Chef Woodwind SG grill with the sear box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	with_searbox.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	702378

My 20+ year old Weber Genesis gas grill got torn into by a raccoon looking to lick the grease pan no doubt. Unfortunately, after reassembly I had no gas flow. My guess is while rolling it over some debris in the burners rolled back to the valves and that was that. Tried blowing them out with compressed air but no joy. So now I finally had a reason to buy a new grill!

Outdoorcooking.com had an okay bundle deal with grill cover, a bag of pellets and free shipping so I clicked "Place order"

I really like the slide and grill feature that moves the flame deflector and allows for grilling (right above the fire pot at least). Time will tell if that's a feature or gimmick. When I really want a nice sear or just want to do a quick burger the sear box will come in handy. I already have a nice wireless thermometer (Inkbird) so I wasn't that set on a WiFi controller, though if Camp Chef offered one I'd take it. The biggest draw for Camp Chef was the burn pot dump option. I'm a noob to pellet smokers but based on my research you pretty much need to vacuum out the burn pot after every cook. With this I figure I should be able to go 2-3 cooks before needing to vacuum out the bottom of the grill, but I do plan to check it after each cook for the first several at least to be sure. As far as I know the only other pellet grill with an easy clean burn pot is the Blaz'n Grill Works but that was just a little too much out of my price range. The Woodwind was already more than I wanted to spend but one reason I'll never be rich is I'm always willing to spend more than I planned if it means knowing I won't be grumbling about some feature (or lack thereof) every time I use it.

I've tried smoking ribs with the Weber several times before. Had okay results wrapping the wood chips in foil with some holes poked through and placing them under the grate but above the front burner. This helped keep the heat down for a slower smoke but needed to replace the foil wrapped chips a few times during the cook which was a pain.

Unfortunately, it won't be here until the middle of next week but I'm already hungry for some pulled pork. I figure a nice pork butt will be a good trial cook.
    "Wherever you leak, the world hangs a bucket." - Gallagher

Sold - 1991 John Deere LX186 w/48" deck, 42" front plow, 1993 John Deere TRX26 snowblower
    Now own - 2018 John Deere 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Warning Light Brush Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, All States Ag Parts Mirrors, Ken's Hooks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    very nice I have a Cookshack smoker that I love. Looking at a Blackstone griddle/grill now just waiting for the end of seasons pricing.
    DanW likes this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks

It's Heeeere

Took me right around 2 hours from cutting the tape on the box to adding pellets. Assembly was no problem. Did have a screw and washer left over (I hate that) but better that having parts missing.

Name:	20190905_130950.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	703618

I monitored the initial burn-in fairly close, both for safety and to see how well it held temperature. The recommended burn-in is 30 minutes at 350 so that's where I set the thermostat. I also put both of the meat probes in the center of the lower rack close to each other to see how well they tracked each other and the grill's thermometer. The grill's temp rose to 361 initially then dropped back to 345 and cycled between 345 and 355. Not bad. Meanwhile the two meat probes were reading 388 and 392 in the middle of the lower rack. Reasonably close to each other but the grill seems to run hot compared to the fixed probe on the side.

Shut the grill down and ran some errands. Once back, I set the unit back to 350 and waited for it to warm up. I decided to map out the heat zones so I sacrificed a couple packs of Pillsbury Grands. Wish I'd taken into consideration that 350 is really closer to 390 but after 20 minutes I learned what I wanted about the grill.

Name:	20190905_163150.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	703622

The top shelf pretty much matched the bottom shelf as far as distribution, it appears to be just a little cooler though. I didn't think to take a pic of the bottoms on the top rack until I already had them of the grill. The distribution surprised me. Seems the hottest part of the grill is right under the chimney and the coolest directly over the firebox and right next to the grill controller's temperature probe.

Grabbed a small pork roast while I was at the store. Tomorrow...

PS: Glad I got the sear box. This is way to much grill if I just want to make myself a burger. Though I am curious how the open flame cooking right above the fire box will work out.
    Last edited by DanW; 09-05-2019 at 04:16 PM.
    ColonyPark and Treefarmer like this.

Sold - 1991 John Deere LX186 w/48" deck, 42" front plow, 1993 John Deere TRX26 snowblower
    Now own - 2018 John Deere 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Warning Light Brush Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, All States Ag Parts Mirrors, Ken's Hooks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks

Will sniff the air

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Took me right around 2 hours from cutting the tape on the box to adding pellets. Assembly was no problem. Did have a screw and washer left over (I hate that) but better that having parts missing.

Name:	20190905_130950.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	703618

I monitored the initial burn-in fairly close, both for safety and to see how well it held temperature. The recommended burn-in is 30 minutes at 350 so that's where I set the thermostat. I also put both of the meat probes in the center of the lower rack close to each other to see how well they tracked each other and the grill's thermometer. The grill's temp rose to 361 initially then dropped back to 345 and cycled between 345 and 355. Not bad. Meanwhile the two meat probes were reading 388 and 392 in the middle of the lower rack. Reasonably close to each other but the grill seems to run hot compared to the fixed probe on the side.

Shut the grill down and ran some errands. Once back, I set the unit back to 350 and waited for it to warm up. I decided to map out the heat zones so I sacrificed a couple packs of Pillsbury Grands. Wish I'd taken into consideration that 350 is really closer to 390 but after 20 minutes I learned what I wanted about the grill.

Name:	20190905_163150.jpg 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	703622

The top shelf pretty much matched the bottom shelf as far as distribution, it appears to be just a little cooler though. I didn't think to take a pic of the bottoms on the top rack until I already had them of the grill. The distribution surprised me. Seems the hottest part of the grill is right under the chimney and the coolest directly over the firebox and right next to the grill controller's temperature probe.

Grabbed a small pork roast while I was at the store. Tomorrow...

PS: Glad I got the sear box. This is way to much grill if I just want to make myself a burger. Though I am curious how the open flame cooking right above the fire box will work out.
    Wind on the backside of Dorian should be NW for us tomorrow. I'll sniff the air a few times to see if you are cooking. . .

What time will the roast be done?

Treefarmer
    DanW likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    Wind on the backside of Dorian should be NW for us tomorrow. I'll sniff the air a few times to see if you are cooking. . .

What time will the roast be done?

Treefarmer
    Best guess, 3:30 - 4:00 I'll be taking it off the grill. A little rest time and I hope to have some good eats. Internal temp is 160° as I type.

Name:	20190906_135151.jpg 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	703764
    ColonyPark and mark02tj like this.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements