• 3 Post By rtgt

Thread: Pit Barrel Cooker

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,309 Posts

Pit Barrel Cooker

Has anyone tried one of these, I'm always liking to try different things, just wondering if anyone has any experience with these. They are a veteran owned business and that matters to me, looking for some feedback.

https://pitbarrelcooker.com/?ref=su73mxavym
    OxPath likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Thanks
    Kind of cool! If you look around their website, you can find videos of it. They have 5 of them with Steven Raichlen (from PBS Project Smoke) doing some cooks. Don't know if they paid him or not.

My only concern would be how to clean out the ash. Do you just dump it out the vent hole at the bottom?

I'd take a look at one of these, but I already have a BGE and a gas grill. Sweetie would question my sanity (even more!) if I put another cooking tool on the back deck.
    OxPath and PJR832 like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:33 AM
    Thanks
    I charcoal grill A LOT!! 4+ times a week.

My concern about smoking with charcoal is the short duration of burn time for Kingsford charcoal briquettes,,
    smoking on charcoal would take a LOT of attention, and replenishing the charcoal.

I use an 18" dome top Weber knockoff,, for the last two, I paid ~$20 each,,,
    they only last me about 4-5 years,, even at that short of time, some repairs or replacements are needed,,

Use it, or let it set on the deck, that $300+ barrel stove will get tossed in 4-5 years because the parts will have rusted away,,
    $60/year just for the grill is a LOT of $$ to me,,
    but, I am a user,, and not just for the novelty of having it,,,

I do not smoke, so I gotta say, I doubt that the barrel grill could come close to the results I get with my dome grill,,,

Smoking? that barrel may be great, if that is what you do,,,

If I wanted that barrel, I would start with a stainless beer barrel, and make one,,
    at least the barrel would last long enough to make the project worthwhile,,,
    PJR832 likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    Kind of cool! If you look around their website, you can find videos of it. They have 5 of them with Steven Raichlen (from PBS Project Smoke) doing some cooks. Don't know if they paid him or not.

My only concern would be how to clean out the ash. Do you just dump it out the vent hole at the bottom?

I'd take a look at one of these, but I already have a BGE and a gas grill. Sweetie would question my sanity (even more!) if I put another cooking tool on the back deck.
    Yes well, my wife thinks I'm nuts for standing over my smoker for hours on end until she takes a bite of all the goodness that thing makes.
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    I charcoal grill A LOT!! 4+ times a week.

My concern about smoking with charcoal is the short duration of burn time for Kingsford charcoal briquettes,,
    smoking on charcoal would take a LOT of attention, and replenishing the charcoal.

I use an 18" dome top Weber knockoff,, for the last two, I paid ~$20 each,,,
    they only last me about 4-5 years,, even at that short of time, some repairs or replacements are needed,,

Use it, or let it set on the deck, that $300+ barrel stove will get tossed in 4-5 years because the parts will have rusted away,,
    $60/year just for the grill is a LOT of $$ to me,,
    but, I am a user,, and not just for the novelty of having it,,,

I do not smoke, so I gotta say, I doubt that the barrel grill could come close to the results I get with my dome grill,,,

Smoking? that barrel may be great, if that is what you do,,,

If I wanted that barrel, I would start with a stainless beer barrel, and make one,,
    at least the barrel would last long enough to make the project worthwhile,,,
    Yes, I'm looking at it more from a smoking side. I use my charcoal smoker now, you are correct, it takes almost constant attention.
    OxPath and mark02tj like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 865 Posts
    Smoking is an art of patience.

If you don't have it, just use the microwave.
    OxPath, mark02tj and PJR832 like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements