• 1 Post By jgayman
  • 3 Post By 2LaneCruzer

Thread: Gluttony

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Thanks

Gluttony

Yesterday evening was a vivid example of just how many in the world think only of themselves. When I built our home, I did not wire in doorbells. Rather, I installed a "doorbox" at each exterior door that are part of the phone system. The issue with the doorbox is many people don't realize what it is, so they just knock on the door. The problem with that is, I quite often do not hear the knock, depending on which part of the home I'm in. (Hindsight being 20-20, I should have paralleled a doorbell button across the doorbox call button.)

So as a workaround to this issue on Halloween, I just place the treats on the porch with a sign indicating the limits of a visit. We, typically, do not have all that many trick or treaters call upon us, so I like to reward them for their efforts. For many years, I purchase a box each of full size, Snickers, Milky Way, and Butterfinger candy bars and set them out on the porch with a case of Grape Crush, a case of Orange Crush, and a case of Barq's Root Beer in 12 oz cans. I hang a sign on a carton indicating a limit of four candy bars and three cans of pop.

Last night, some of our grandchildren were visiting. They decided to claim their treats when they departed, rather than when they arrived. We hadn't had any trick or treaters up to their arrival. While we were visiting, someone came and took everything....even the cartons and the limit sign. That was 36 cans of pop and over 100 full size candy bars. So we had nothing to give our grandchildren nor the other trick or treaters that followed.

Well, I probably will never do this again. It is sad that someone's gluttony and selfishness has ruined it or others.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Somehow hitting the "like" button on your post just didn't seem appropriate. How disgusting.
    Dr Maphesto likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Thanks
    Sheesh! Another reason to like my dog more than most people!

In our small town we have a lady that operates a small deli. I found out recently that she's started her own food pantry in the parking lot behind the store. She has a cupboard out there where you can donate if you'd like or you can take food if you need it. They had a local person that was cleaning out the food cupboard every few days - taking EVERYTHING! This person didn't need it, but was taking it. A few stern words took care of the problem that never should have been a problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    Yesterday evening was a vivid example of just how many in the world think only of themselves. When I built our home, I did not wire in doorbells. Rather, I installed a "doorbox" at each exterior door that are part of the phone system. The issue with the doorbox is many people don't realize what it is, so they just knock on the door. The problem with that is, I quite often do not hear the knock, depending on which part of the home I'm in. (Hindsight being 20-20, I should have paralleled a doorbell button across the doorbox call button.)

So as a workaround to this issue on Halloween, I just place the treats on the porch with a sign indicating the limits of a visit. We, typically, do not have all that many trick or treaters call upon us, so I like to reward them for their efforts. For many years, I purchase a box each of full size, Snickers, Milky Way, and Butterfinger candy bars and set them out on the porch with a case of Grape Crush, a case of Orange Crush, and a case of Barq's Root Beer in 12 oz cans. I hang a sign on a carton indicating a limit of four candy bars and three cans of pop.

Last night, some of our grandchildren were visiting. They decided to claim their treats when they departed, rather than when they arrived. We hadn't had any trick or treaters up to their arrival. While we were visiting, someone came and took everything....even the cartons and the limit sign. That was 36 cans of pop and over 100 full size candy bars. So we had nothing to give our grandchildren nor the other trick or treaters that followed.

Well, I probably will never do this again. It is sad that someone's gluttony and selfishness has ruined it or others.

That's one side of the human psyche that is regrettable, but we must nonetheless never forget that it is always lurking out there some where. Thank goodness there is another side to humanity that is much more desirable.

Example: We recently attended a big car show at Robber's Cave State Park; an attendance of about 500 plus. In order to get a decent parking place, you need to get there between 6:00 and 7:00 am. We stopped on the way to stock up on beer, and a guy pulled up beside our car and asked if I had any jumper cables. It so happens that I always carry a set of cables for just such emergencies; so I loaned them to him. He said he would be right back, I told him we couldn't wait, and told him to bring them to the show, and told him where we would be parked.

To make a long story short, I have found that "car people" are mostly good people, but I wondered if I would ever see my jumper cables again. As the day progressed to the afternoon and no cables, I just kissed them good bye. I came back to the car after my lunch of a foot long corn dog, sat down on my folding chair, which for some reason had a beach towel on it...and immediately realized I had sat on something, but I didn't know what. On closer inspection, it turned out to be my jumper cables. My faith had been renewed.
    Have wings, will travel.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 01:06 PM
    Thanks
    I will bet it was not just kids either .

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 PM
    Thanks
    I could get away with Just leaving it On the Porch Only Had 1 Trick or Treater's We usually only get a few anyways But I think the snow stopped that. Glad I didn't grow Up here Trick or Treating would have really sucked The amount of walking You would have to do between Houses .

Think of the U.S. as the Modern Rome. So unfortunately were full of the occasional Glutton. Where the Heaviest country In the world by body Mass
    Last edited by Sergeant; 11-01-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,XUV 835M
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements