Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Big Green Egg

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-08-2016 @ 03:50 PM
    Thanks

Big Green Egg

I have to give my praise to this cooker/grill/smoker/roster/broiler etc....

I had never heard of them and my wife asked if I would like one for Father's Day last year. I briefly looked at them online at their website and decided we didn't need one without even really researching it or anything. I couldn't find prices so just basically blew the idea off but did look for retailers near us. About a month ago we were in the city where closest dealer was located so just by chance made the stop on our way home at the last second.

It was a family outing to get baseball supplies for the year and I was just going to run in and price them so left the wife/kids in the van. Well once I got in there and saw a whole section of the store devoted to this little magnificent thing I knew they would be waiting longer than just a price check. There were two setup with the racks and nests in a large and medium. The price was a little more than I expected but asked for someone to help me out anyway since I was genuinely interested in learning more about all these contraptions that could be used with the grill. The lady said, "Sure, let me get John to help you!" It was at that moment I knew if he was any type of salesmen that he would reel me in, hook, line, and sinker.

Sure enough he knew everything there was to know about this thing and even used his "supposedly" 4-5 times a week even throughout the winter. I was shocked to learn how many different ways this grill could be used from grilling at any temp between 180*-800+* with rather precise temp control but it didn't stop there! This thing could smoke with indirect heat and even bake a pie. The entire concept was so mind blowing that I let him give me his entire spill without hesitation. Then I asked about a larger size since I cook for 50-75 people at parties a few times each year. Sure enough he had an extra large still in the crate that he hadn't had time to set up since he had just sold the one that was on display. So we walked back to the storage area and he showed it to me and explained just how much food could be cooked on it at one time. It wasn't until I asked how much the XXL cost that I was sold on the XL. Aprox $1600 for the XL with nest and side racks compared to over $3000 for the XXL. I told him that I would most likely be back with a trailer in the next couple of days that I needed to talk with my wife and read up on it a bit before just jumping right in; although, I had a good feeling that I'd be cooking on that XL Big Green Egg sooner rather than later.

After a 15-20 minute wait in the van with a 3 year old and 7 month old my wife knew I'd have quite a bit to share. The first thing I said was, "We have to get one but I don't know if we need to spend that much right now since spending so much on tractor, saltwater chlorine pool system, and taxes (owed this year from student loan forgiveness)yadayadayada.... Because the freaking thing is $1700 of complete awesomeness!" I handed her the brochure and asked her to see how the capacities compared between the large and XL but thought really needed to spend the extra on the larger one. She wasn't quite as amazed as me by all the methods of cooking that could be done on it but was rather interested to say the least. I'm not a great story teller by any means but she could see the excitement written all over me.

Once we made it home I spent the majority of that night and the following day watching YouTube videos and was blown away by how easy everyone made it seem to cook stuff that we then never attempted since didn't have a means of smoking. The videos just made us both want it even more and started asking around to see if anyone we knew had one of these things and somehow didn't tell us about it. Sure enough one person did (her hair dresser) and said that we had to have one. That probably wasn't the tipping point but it was enough that we made the trip and picked it up.

I don't have any experience with smoking/bbq but have been grilling for 25+ years. I've used this thing atleast 5 days out of each week we've had it and couldn't be any happier. I am a steak connoisseur and I'm not proud of it by any means because it just ruins most attempts at trying steak from many restaurants. There are only 3 places I can confidently order a steak right now. Ruth's Chris, Doe's Eat Place, and Charlie's Steak House (now served by Torrino's) which of the three only one is a chain so have to travel to their only locations. This Egg along with a little experience can provide us with better than Ruth's Chris and close to if not equal to the other two places 2.5" thick porterhouse cooked medium rare for me and medium for the wife. Even 2.5" local fillets that aren't graded Prime were so so good. Everything I've tried to cook has been better than expected even pizzas from scratch; although, I did burn one on accident but just made another and kept an eye on it. That was the second time I tried to cook pizza and let the temp rise a tad too much. But, if one has access to Prime beef and loves steak then this thing is a no brainer. Salt, pepper, and a touch of garlic, scallion, butter on top while resting will provide an amazing experience in your mouth.

Ok. That's enough but had to share my experience.
    Last edited by Alford78; 05-06-2015 at 03:23 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alford78 For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (05-06-2015), Kennyd (05-06-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:34 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,913 Posts
    Most members here speak highly of them. Some day I'll have one.
    Good post.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting your review. The wife and I have been looking at these for a good while now but have been able to talk ourselves out of it every time. We may have to consider one again based on this review.
    Levi likes this.
    2014 John Deere 5100E H240 FEL 6' Rakemaster Root Grapple, 2016 Woods PSS72 food plot seeder, 2013 John Deere XUV 550 S4 2015 Orsi 12' boom mower with flail head, 2016 John Deere 4105 with front end loader, 2016 John Deere MX6, 2018 Everything Attachments 55" Wicked Grapple. 2018 Everything Attachments Severe Extreme Duty 6' Landscape Rake, 2018 John Deere 1025R TLB with 54D quick connect deck [SIZE=2][COLOR="#008000"]

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CNGreen View Post
    Thanks for posting your review. The wife and I have been looking at these for a good while now but have been able to talk ourselves out of it every time. We may have to consider one again based on this review.
    Like I said, I've never smoked before so don't know how easy and/or cheap a good smoker cost but I've smoked atleast 4 times already with perfect results. Spare ribs, baby back ribs, chicken, and fish were all perfect. I just searched the egg forum for some cook times and temps and sure enough everything was perfect. I use a decent thermometer but we are buying the automated guru thingy way can smoke larger cuts without worrying about temp flux. We are still in experimental stages of bbq sauce but getting really close on that too.

Prime beef and regular grilling is so much better than charcoal or gas that it's really hard to explain. Even a jumbo ball park hotdog is better and would bet I could do a double blind test to prove it.
    Levi likes this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 960 Posts
    Pizza huh? I have been wanting an outdoor wood fired pizza oven forever, but if the egg cooks all this different stuff…maybe that's the route to go. I really would love an outdoor kitchen, but with our climate, could never justify the cost. Thanks for the info🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 660 Posts
    We have been using one for about 7 years now and use it often, but not every day. We use all the Green Egg products, such as the lump charcoal and starter bricks because it makes thing so much easier.

We really enjoy smoking the ribs and I have even smoked wild turkey. Grass fed beef---nothing better coming off the Green Egg. We haven't tried pizza or the fish, but almost everything else.

We have the medium sized one and I think it does a great job and the temp is so easy to control. I will never use a gas grill ever again.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark and Levi like this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014
    Carl

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ilmo For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wayne (05-10-2015)

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    Pizza huh? I have been wanting an outdoor wood fired pizza oven forever, but if the egg cooks all this different stuff…maybe that's the route to go. I really would love an outdoor kitchen, but with our climate, could never justify the cost. Thanks for the info🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yea! I worked in a pizza joint while in school and made personal pizzas of every variety. They were always good but not great or anything super special; although, I did make a ranch sauce pizza that was worth putting on the menu. Now where I live has two mom/pop type pizza places and both are great and completely different from one another. One has a 3" deep dish that takes 45 minutes to cook but it's worth the wait (we call in ahead of time ;-). The other is just one of them places that just has it all right. We get traditional crust there and it's one of the best pizzas anyone could ask for. Dicky V came here for Murry State basketball game and everyone told him to go there but he went to one of the worse places in town that uses truck foods. Anyway back to the pizza from the place that just has it all right. We tried to make what we get there-pepperoni, canned mushrooms, ham, black olive, and extra cheese. If the crust wasn't a tad crispy from the pizza stone on the green egg it would have been a perfect match to our favorite place. Even though the egg makes a somewhat crisp dough it is great. It's just the right amount of texture for crisp crust. The way the dough rises on the edges is similar to papa johns and the center is great if like it that way. I haven't tried to produce a different outcome since it's very good but may at some point just out of curiosity. Definately better than most chain joints but I really like a super thick deep dish which don't know if could ever pull off on the egg.
    ColonyPark likes this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alford78 For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (05-06-2015)

13. Top | #8
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,295 Times in 2,584 Posts
    I bought a Kamado Joe with Gizmo2's money, saved me a ton. The pizzas are the best.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1208.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	45041 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1610.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	45042 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	45043 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3649.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	975.9 KB 
ID:	45044 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4092.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	991.7 KB 
ID:	45045 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4316.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	45046
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

14. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:34 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,913 Posts
    You guys are going to make me buy one of these, I just know it.
    Not to mention, dieselshadow spent my money and I'm not sure how.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Little man and grill without its wings. I cooked on it without the side racks for a week before finally took time to put them together

Second day did these ribs

Then a pizza

3lb porterhouse

2.5" thick fillet
    Last edited by Alford78; 05-06-2015 at 07:45 PM.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast