Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: No wonder why people are so fat these days

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

No wonder why people are so fat these days

We recently discovered a new brand of tea that is noticeably delicious compared to the other brands. They have a sweet tea version and an unsweetened, among other flavors. For me, the sweetened is too sweet, but the unsweetened needed just a little something. So I set about finding just the right mixture, which turned out to be 1 part sweet to 3 parts unsweetened. Lots of ice!

In the process, we became curious just how much sugar was involved in all this. I already knew from some time ago that there is approximately 3 tablespoons (9 teaspoons) of sugar in a 12oz can of Coca Cola, which led me to I giving up soft drinks years ago.

The full strength version of this sweet tea has 27g of sugar in a 12oz serving. Since there are 5g of sugar in one teaspoon, that means there are just over 5 teaspoons of sugar per 12oz serving. Jeez!

That means that even with the ice reducing the serving size to about 8oz, I'm still getting about 1 teaspoon of sugar in my highly cut down sweetened/unsweetened iced tea mixture. I guess that's not so bad, right?

In further reading, the American Heart Association recommends a total maximum of 6 teaspoons of sugar per day for women and 9 teaspoons per day for men.

That got me thinking and looking through the cabinets at the foods we eat every day. It's amazing how much sugar we eat without even realizing it. Take a look for yourself. Read the nutrition labels on some of your foods. Remember that 5g of sugar is 1 teaspoon and you should be having no more than 6 or 9 teaspoons per day, depending on your gender.

All of a sudden, those little tidbits of sweets I like to embellish my day don't seem so much like embellishments. I'm surprised I don't weigh 400 lbs! It's certainly an eye opening explanation why I can never seem to get rid of that extra 10 or 20 lbs that seems to stick around no matter how active I stay.

I'm a terrible exerciser, and a worse dieter. But I'm thinking it's time to start paying a little more attention to what I shove into this pie hole of mine. I hope this helps someone else.
    Last edited by Artillian; 07-05-2015 at 11:25 AM.
    felixm22, HouseMouse and Yamaguy like this.
    Tractor Attachments Maximized for Versatility
    www.ARTILLIAN.com
    Email: [email protected]

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Artillian For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19 (07-05-2015), fdmars (07-05-2015), Jeff R. (07-05-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:12 AM
    Thanks
    The same is true for salt.....
    Artillian likes this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Having Diabetes I learned this long ago - I also was amazed at how much sugar is in just about everything we consume - even things that you wouldn't think have sugar in them at all.

Chris has a good point - look at the labels!

And I am no health nut for sure but had to pay attention to my sugar intake along with carbohydrates which can be just as bad.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Artillian (07-06-2015)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    05-28-2018 @ 08:59 AM
    Thanks
    Based on their track record, dieticians are left of psychiatrists on the snake oil vs evidence-based continuum of medical practice.

Remember the "eat margarine, don't eat butter" advice. Turns out that the trans-fats in margarine are about the worse thing you can do.

Excess sugars are clearly a huge problem, but so is inactivity. In Washington you can get a disability parking permit if you tell your doctor that you can't walk 200 feet without resting. And you don't have to have emphysema or other medical condition that is the cause of the problem.

I think the best diet advice is eat a lot of variety, mostly plants, don't worry about fatty meats (they satisfy your appetite quickly), and avoid the processed foods.

(and walk your fence line regularly)
    4320 Tractor
    400X FEL
    485 Backhoe
    Forks, Boxblade, 550 Tiller, Auger
    X530 Mower

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks
    I went on a diet a few years back, figuring I would try to get down to my original weight.
    Woke up the 2nd night of the diet and realized it wasn't going to work.
    There's no way I could get back down to 10lb. 4oz........
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

10. Top | #6
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Also, anything "low fat" probably has added sugar, and anything "sugar free" has more fat. They have to get the flavor from somewhere, when they remove flavor.

I think portion control is easiest, and enjoy special things in moderation. I try to avoid excess gluten, and do my own baking with organic flour, to cut the gluten content. Gluten goes straight to the belly, when consumed in much quantity.

I eat as little pre-processed stuff as possible, I rarely eat out, and I eat meat as well as veggie fat, such as avocados. I am a salt-aholic, so won't cut that. (Nor do I give up booze!!) But the artificial stuff is just horrible. And it has been demonstrated many times, that a diet sweetener actually increases your cravings for sweets, so then you are more likely to overeat.

My mom is a diabetic. She was on insulin 3 years ago. With the above mentioned protocol, of having healthy moderation, and nothing artificial, she is now off of insulin and other medications, and can even enjoy a cone of soft serve ice cream (not artificially sweetened) after a meal once or twice a week. (Her favorite!) Yes, she is probably 15 pounds overweight, from the ice cream and such, but at this point in her life, if she enjoys it, and her sugar is staying perfect, I'm sure not going to fuss about that! I do a lot of the cooking for her, and take a load to her and her hubby once a week, on average, to fill their fridge, so they can have a choice for each supper, and not have to eat out all the time, or cook what is not healthy. Not that much harder to make more food each weekend when I am cooking for my week's menu to add in extra for them.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

pappa (07-06-2015)

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Also, anything "low fat" probably has added sugar, and anything "sugar free" has more fat. They have to get the flavor from somewhere, when they remove flavor.

I think portion control is easiest, and enjoy special things in moderation. I try to avoid excess gluten, and do my own baking with organic flour, to cut the gluten content. Gluten goes straight to the belly, when consumed in much quantity.

I eat as little pre-processed stuff as possible, I rarely eat out, and I eat meat as well as veggie fat, such as avocados. I am a salt-aholic, so won't cut that. (Nor do I give up booze!!) But the artificial stuff is just horrible. And it has been demonstrated many times, that a diet sweetener actually increases your cravings for sweets, so then you are more likely to overeat.

My mom is a diabetic. She was on insulin 3 years ago. With the above mentioned protocol, of having healthy moderation, and nothing artificial, she is now off of insulin and other medications, and can even enjoy a cone of soft serve ice cream (not artificially sweetened) after a meal once or twice a week. (Her favorite!) Yes, she is probably 15 pounds overweight, from the ice cream and such, but at this point in her life, if she enjoys it, and her sugar is staying perfect, I'm sure not going to fuss about that! I do a lot of the cooking for her, and take a load to her and her hubby once a week, on average, to fill their fridge, so they can have a choice for each supper, and not have to eat out all the time, or cook what is not healthy. Not that much harder to make more food each weekend when I am cooking for my week's menu to add in extra for them.
    I wholly agree with your statement of portion control and eating in moderation. I don't think it's so much what you eat but how much of it you eat.

Once you've been eating smaller portions for a while your body will naturally start to get full with those smaller portions. I can no longer eat a double meat and and fries anymore just because I now am too full to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    etcallhome and tj1 like this.
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berger View Post
    I went on a diet a few years back, figuring I would try to get down to my original weight.
    2012 1023E, 60d MMM, H120 Loader

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    05-28-2018 @ 08:59 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berger View Post
    10 lb 4 oz. You can do it. Cremation.
    Bill Berger likes this.
    4320 Tractor
    400X FEL
    485 Backhoe
    Forks, Boxblade, 550 Tiller, Auger
    X530 Mower

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    Extreme overweight is also a reflection of more than calories. It's a lack of self esteem, poor basic understanding of nutrition, an excuse to drown ones sorrows in, stupid lazy sedentary behavior, people fighting to get the parking spot closest to the store door instead of walking the extra 200 feet. And food labels that most people can not understand. While it may list calories per serving & serving sizes & sugars & carbs & fiber, they do not give a simple explanation on the relationship of the listed dietary info. What I mean is they don't tell how higher fiber can offset the carbs or the sugars. Of if the sugars are low, but the carbs high, your still screwed even though you think its healthy.

One of my dumb ass relatives is getting as large as the 36" doorway to their house. They say he eats healthy. No sugars at all. Just plain rice, a couple of white potato's & some white bread at lunch time. - Yeah- Healthy eating. A diet fit for a Sumo wrestler. See your doctor, Obama says you can see your doctor or your veterinary. Get a check up & include screening for diabetes & thyroid function. He will give you a diet. Throw it away & ask to have a consultation with a licensed dietician. Or stop screwing around and just move more & eat less. I got rid of one piece of toast in the morning & switched to whole grain bread slice with a little butter & NO SUGAR added jelly. For lunch I went to a half of a sandwich, on rye bread or whole grain bread. To give me that "full feeling" I ate a cucumber, or watermelon, or a couple of pickles. Evening, usually 3 or 4 ounces of meat & a fresh veggie, salad. Desert a homemade cookie. Got rid of 14 pounds in three months. Never went hungry. Lunch was hard at a 1/2 sandwich with no crap on it. Just a slice of ham or baloney with some mustard. But now I can't eat more than a half at lunch. Diet & tastes are learned or acquired. Things we learn or acquire over time can be changed to our benefit or destruction. At least that's what I think.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast