Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: What's up with lemons...and Limes

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks

What's up with lemons...and Limes

It's nuts. I'm now paying .75 cents for one lemon. That's plain nuts. Or I can buy a 2 pound bag of lemons for $4.49 but the things are super small, super over ripe & awful in taste. Limes are going from .29 cents each to .88cents if you get the organic ones. You would think that being down here in SC, the gosh darn things would be less in cost. I mean from here to Jacksonville, Fl. is probably no more than a six hour drive & Jacksonville, is a citrus growing area. Now it appears that grapefruit has come down some in cost but is still high. Five pound bag runs about $4-4.50 & quality is poor.

Now on the other hand, we have just about any apple variety you can name....But apples in July..Really. And people don't seem to know the seasonal patterns to fruits & veggies. Who buys apples in July? They are all cold storage & will be ready for the trash can within 48 hours of taking them home. OK, I'm one of those strange people who loves lemons & fruit. But I'm not gonna pay .75 cents for one lemon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:49 PM
    Thanks
    Re the price of lemons - two words - California Drought
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2015 3038e with Frontier 57" Tiller and FEL
    D125 Riding Mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    this is how WW3 will probably start, over high food cost's, and shortages. IT'S the same up here in pa. people don't realize the different seasons for different foods. stuff gets picked green only to ripened on the truck to market, their's no life to certain foods anymore, I agree. big jim
    Maddog and johnH123 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    Priced Avocados lately?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Now on the other hand, we have just about any apple variety you can name....But apples in July..Really. And people don't seem to know the seasonal patterns to fruits & veggies.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of globalization. Check those apples and you'll find that most of them were grown in South America. They're loaded into crates and onto a plane and flown to a grocer near you within 24 hours of being picked. That's the same place pears, plums and a host of other "fall" fruits are coming from right now. It's also where you get fresh tomatoes from in the middle of our winters. Of course, in a couple of months we'll be sending the stuff we grow down to them so no one in the industry is gonna complain.
    Maddog and BigJim55 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
    Priced Avocados lately?
    No, only because I really do not use them, but I'm sure they are a rip off also. The thing is that the farmer who does all the work probably gets the least amount of profit from the sale.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Maddog For This Useful Post:

Dingeryote (08-01-2015)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:42 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of globalization. Check those apples and you'll find that most of them were grown in South America. They're loaded into crates and onto a plane and flown to a grocer near you within 24 hours of being picked. That's the same place pears, plums and a host of other "fall" fruits are coming from right now. It's also where you get fresh tomatoes from in the middle of our winters. Of course, in a couple of months we'll be sending the stuff we grow down to them so no one in the industry is gonna complain.
    And check your labels...most of the apple juice we get comes from China...soon it will be fresh apples.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Have wings, will travel.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 2LaneCruzer For This Useful Post:

Dingeryote (08-01-2015)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Yes, I do read the labels on the produce. I do not buy ANYTHING that is not grown in the USA. The idiots in DC that are protecting us from us, are killing our farmers & food production with all sorts of laws, bans & regulations on what they can or cannot use to fertilize, insect control, handling, packaging etc. But its OK, to bring in produce from mexico, south America & wherever else & these countries are exempt from the laws & regulations our farmers have to follow. I don't know about you, but when it comes to fertilizing my strawberries I prefer Mirical Grow over Mexican poop & pee. I just don't buy any produce, meat, chicken or fish from over the border or across the ocean.

BigJim55 likes this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Maddog For This Useful Post:

Dingeryote (08-01-2015)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    And check your labels...most of the apple juice we get comes from China...soon it will be fresh apples.
    why?
    Last edited by johnH123; 07-30-2015 at 02:39 PM. Reason: fixed quote
    Maddog likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    why?
    That's a good question-"WHY". Unfortunately we would have to ask the liars, the political frauds & corrupt administrative officials who are making millions for their families while the rest of us suffer. Do you really think you will get an honest answer. It's ok to import apples from commie chine land, because a few years back we put many of the apple growers here out of business with bogus bans on the use of certain pesticides. I've been eating American grown fruits & veggies all my life & haven't yet developed any sickness from them. And I also grow some of my own & I do use insect controls & fertilizers. Chinese apples. They can rot on the docks along with the rest of the imported rip off junk. God bless America-buy American.

America is Great! Throw the bums out of office who are destroying this great land.
    Last edited by Maddog; 07-30-2015 at 07:11 PM.
    BigJim55 and johnH123 like this.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast