I love living here among the Lake Loons!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: I love living here among the Lake Loons!!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks

I love living here among the Lake Loons!!

There is this gent I know. Not really a buddy, but a local friend.

He went off, and got all schooled up like the rest of us, and came back home to realize all the crap he stuffed between his ears, doesn't translate into much, unless it could be applied to create value of some sort. He wore out the shoe leather finding work suitable, but nothing paid well enough to cover the commute, or justify moving away from the Farm, so he went to work installing Irrigation systems, and landscaping the seasonal resorters mini-mansions.

Along the way, he got hitched to a Wine snob foodie, and lost his mind. He and his equally loonie bride, went nuts, and put in a Vinyard, found financing, and then really went off the hook, and built a Winery/Brewery/distillery, with a twist.
    Casual, informal, local flavor and color snacks, wine tasting bar, special events like weddings and retreats, Hog roasts, and eccentric celebrations.

We have at least 12 Brewerys within 20 miles, and I can think of 6 Winerys, but there are more.
    His, is, well..."Different". Muck Boots and shorts, or 3pc suit are all the same. No pretense.

He stopped by today, and shared a Hard cider over the tailgate, and dropped off some of the good stuff for a review.

I figured to share.
    I have the Proscuitto sauce, reducing in the Vidal Blanc "Pandoras Bottle".

I'm not a sweet white fan, but it's interesting, and well done. Not as crisp as I like, but not too funky either.

Any other Foodie and local wine fans here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well,

The Hard Apple cider is about what one would expect, from local Golden delicious cider, fermented properly.
    Too many use a Champagne yeast, and things end up too dry, and it has to be sweetened back to the point of losing it's character.
    Jeff went the Hard route, and ended up with a proper Hard cider, that retains the Golden delicious flavor.
    It's darn good, if a guy likes hard ciders. Beats the commercial stuff by a good margin, and has plenty of depth to it.

I'm gonna go ahead, and call the Cherry Cider a problem for poor Jeff.
    I got a couple tastes, and the wife wandered off with the glass and the bottle.

Jeff nailed it. I don't think his little operation can handle, where the stuff could go.
    Not too dry, a little sweet, but balanced with the bite of Tart Cherry, a little Tannin shows up, and then finishes clean with a sweet cherry aftertaste, that is more of a smell than a taste.
    The stuff could be problematic around the holidays.
    I don't know if he is going to expand out, other than more ground for grapes, and cane fruit, which he is already using in the wines, or not.
    He might have to. The stuff is that good.

As for the Vidal Blanc, It's OK.
    Jeffs wife is the Wine snob with the French influence, and has the reigns on the Vino side of the house.
    It was her decision on which wines to make first, and the direction of them.

I am sure I am missing something with the Vidal Blanc, due to my own lack of refinements
    It's fruity...the Raspberry, blackberry, and strawberry comes through, the acid is kept in check, Tannins are faint, and it's sweet to the point, I find it too much for my tastes...but I'm a fan of Boiled Peanuts, Blind Robins, Coastal Super Tuscans, Inspired Chianti, Proper "Smack and a Kiss" Pinot Griggio, and well balanced Sangiovese. I don't "Subtle" well. Not my bag.

The stuff IS pretty awesome for a Proscuitto sauce though!
    It's actually darn near perfect for adding depth, to sauteed sweet onions, Garlic and Proscuitto cream sauce, when paired with 4 cheese Torteloni!
    I might have to keep a bottle around, for pairing with proper Cheese ravioli.

I ended up having to go off the shelf for a hasty dinner tonight.

Whole sweet onion diced, 4 cloves of Garlic chopped, sauteed in 4 Tbsp of butter and approx 1 Tbsp. of EVOO, until starting to carmelize.
    3/4 cup of the Vidal Blanc, 1 cup of julienned Proscuitto, and half a cup of Chicken stock, simmered until reduced.
    1/2 cup of torn Fresh Basil added along with 1/2 cup of cream, and simmered to reduce.

Aldi Imported Italian "Priano" 4 cheese Torteloni, boiled for 12 min., to just under aldente', tossed in the reduced sauce, along with 3/4 cup of pasta water.

Plated up, with a healthy shred of fresh Parm.

It's funny how the local Vidal Blanc, plays with the imported Parmesano reggiano, and Proscuitto in the sauce.
    Jeffs wife, probably didn't see the pairing, I sure didn't, but it's there. I'm gonna ask of course..

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks
    It's refreshing to see other menfolk here on GTT that enjoy the experience of cooking, and trying new dishes that are not naturally indigenous to their geographic locations.
    All my local buds seem to really enjoy some of the foods I whip up, especially since most of them honestly really never have left their homeplace to travel more than 100 miles their entire lives. Stuck on the farm has it's drawbacks for sure.
    A few have even mentioned I should have opened a resturaunt years ago. I remind hem that if I had done that, I'd never had been exposed to all the different cultures and foods I discovered along my travels and share with them.
    But, it is nice to just have a simple get together now and then over a nice hog roast, clam bake, oyster roast, or even hot dogs and burgers on the grill.
    Dingeryote and Levi like this.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Dinger; You made me hungry, and I have a lot of hours until time to get to play in the kitchen!

I'm not good at subtle either. I like many of the same wines that you do. I do not want something overly dry, and if it is on the dry side, I find it better for cooking than drinking.

But, I have been known to drink wine from a box.

There is a Texas winery that makes a nice Chardonnay, and another that makes a great Pinot Grigio. I also like a Riesling that is imported from Germany, yet is not pricey. Red wines contain more sulfites, so I tend to not partake of them, very often.

There is one winery within 30 miles of me, and I would love to buy local, but I think drinking diesel would be just as enjoyable as their wines in the flavor department.
    etcallhome, Dingeryote and Levi like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Always knew you were a classy kind of gal, FG!

Actually, there are a couple of wine makers now that make "premium" boxed wine. One that I've had is called "Bota" or "Bota Box". I first had the pinot grigio SWMBO's niece's house. I had the honor of finishing that box.... we removed the bladder and the niece and my D-I-L-to-be held it over my mouth and pushed the button! It was kind of like being in at a fraternity party again! (See - I'm pretty classy myself!! ) I've since bought a couple of boxes for myself. The Cab is very good. Not totally impressed with the Chardonnay, but it's OK. I can't remember the name of the other boxed wine, but it's interesting that the wine department at Kroger's keeps these brands away from Franzia and the other boxed wines.

Ohio is starting to sprout more and more wineries. SWMBO's other niece got married at one last month. Part of the reception package included an open bar for their wines. Not at all impressed, unfortunately. I was mostly drinking what was supposed to be like a Pinot Grigio, but it still tasted "juicy" - almost like it wasn't "done".

By chance I bought a couple of bottles from another Ohio winery last year. I was actually up there buying a used roll-over box blade from them and decided to grab a couple of bottles while I was there. It was good. Unfortunately they're a little far away to just stop by and pick up a bottle or two. And, I generally don't think about hunting for their brand when I'm in the store.
    Levi likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 02:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    I'm not much on wines. Found that there is never enough. I'd love to try the Hard apple and cherry cider. Probably wouldn't be enough in them bottles either. All the costly wines I've ever tried, I didn't like except for a boxed one and now don't even know what kind it was. Bought it boxed as it was cheaper that way then in the bottle of the same kind. Never was one to put alcohol in my food either. Drank with it but never mixed in with it. While in the Marines on Embassy duty we had to have a dinner for the DCM and his wife. I was in charge of the menu. A country amish boy making a menu for high class people. I had soup served up first. High class break off a piece of cracker, put it the soup and then that is dipped out to eat with the soup. I watched this, tried it. Thought to myself, this is not for me. So I took a batch of crackers and crumbled them up into my soup. DCM's wife asked what I was doing. Told her I like my crackers crumbled up in my soup so I can eat it that way and not have to break each piece off as I eat the soup. She watched me a bit and then informed everyone that she liked that idea and did the same thing which got everyone else to do it too. I had to wonder what planet they came from. I was never to refined. 1 spoon, 1 fork, 1 knife and 1 plate, used to eat the whole meal, no matter how many dishes are served.

My favorite meal: southern fried chicken (the way my wife does it), mashed potatoes, gravy made from the pan the chicken was fried in and whole kernel corn.
    Dingeryote and Bill Berger like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    I'm not much on wines. Found that there is never enough. I'd love to try the Hard apple and cherry cider. Probably wouldn't be enough in them bottles either. All the costly wines I've ever tried, I didn't like except for a boxed one and now don't even know what kind it was. Bought it boxed as it was cheaper that way then in the bottle of the same kind. Never was one to put alcohol in my food either. Drank with it but never mixed in with it. While in the Marines on Embassy duty we had to have a dinner for the DCM and his wife. I was in charge of the menu. A country amish boy making a menu for high class people. I had soup served up first. High class break off a piece of cracker, put it the soup and then that is dipped out to eat with the soup. I watched this, tried it. Thought to myself, this is not for me. So I took a batch of crackers and crumbled them up into my soup. DCM's wife asked what I was doing. Told her I like my crackers crumbled up in my soup so I can eat it that way and not have to break each piece off as I eat the soup. She watched me a bit and then informed everyone that she liked that idea and did the same thing which got everyone else to do it too. I had to wonder what planet they came from. I was never to refined. 1 spoon, 1 fork, 1 knife and 1 plate, used to eat the whole meal, no matter how many dishes are served.

My favorite meal: southern fried chicken (the way my wife does it), mashed potatoes, gravy made from the pan the chicken was fried in and whole kernel corn.
    That's some good eating for sure. I do like a Charcoaled steak, fried okra w/ pear salad; smoked baby backs w/ coleslaw, chicken and noodles/dumplings and home made stew. Not much of a wine drinker, although during a trip to the Amana Village in Iowa, we picked up some Cranberry wine that was absolutely magnificent! I guess it's a good thing we can't get it here, I absolutely loved it...not to mention the Millstream Wheat beer from their micro brewery and the superb Landjager and other sausages. What a wonderful place Amana Village!
    Levi likes this.
    Have wings, will travel.

10. Top | #8
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    A couple of my favorite cook book authors:

Hunter Angler Gardener Cook: Finding the Forgotten Feast

The Scavenger’s Guide to Haute Cuisine « Steven Rinella
    Rinella has a new cook book coming.

I'm not a wine guy, try to pair more with a craft beer(hoppy beers are my favorite) or whiskey/bourbon/scotch.
    Levi likes this.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

11. Top | #9
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Levi; Your favorite meal is a carb overload!!!

Texas has some awesome wineries, but unfortunately, none are close to me. However, I can get their bottles in almost any liquor store, and even in a lot of grocery stores.
    Levi likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Dinger; You made me hungry, and I have a lot of hours until time to get to play in the kitchen!

I'm not good at subtle either. I like many of the same wines that you do. I do not want something overly dry, and if it is on the dry side, I find it better for cooking than drinking.

There is a Texas winery that makes a nice Chardonnay, and another that makes a great Pinot Grigio. I also like a Riesling that is imported from Germany, yet is not pricey. Red wines contain more sulfites, so I tend to not partake of them, very often.

There is one winery within 30 miles of me, and I would love to buy local, but I think drinking diesel would be just as enjoyable as their wines in the flavor department.

Box wine is simply table wine. It's not low class at all.
    A place we stayed at near Modena, had several Barrels of wine in their cellar, and it was ladled directly into a pitcher for serving.
    It's been that way for a couple thousand years.
    The box just gets rid of the need for Barrels in the basement.

Really crappy box wine is low class.

For a couple bucks more than the really crappy stuff, there are some pretty decent offerings.
    I saw Pasqua imported Pinot Grigio in a box the other day. Straight from Venezia, and the same stuff that sells for 14 bucks a bottle.

Next time you're in the wine section of the larger grocery/liquor store, look for "Orviato Classico" if you haven't tried it yet.
    It's definitely in your profile, and a LOT more rounded than Reisling, and Pinot. Usually you can find it for around 10 bucks.
    Umbrian wines are still under the radar, and don't draw the mega $$$ importers like the better known Tuscan wines.
    I hope it stays that way.
    Levi likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast