Like Tree2694Likes

Thread: The GTT "Whatcha Cooking Today" Thread

1. Top | #11
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSwan87 View Post
    After 5 hours in the smoker...

The 3 rubbed with brown sugar are on the left, noticeably more bark than without...
    I would be interested to know how the brown sugar treatment turns out. I make my own rubb, and I go easy on the sugar because I don't like my ribs to taste sweet...but the best brisket that I ever cooked, I coated it heavily in sugar and let it sit in the frige over night. I scraped the sugar off, added my rubb and cooked it at 250 degrees until it reached 190 degrees. The sugar seemed to have a "brining effect" and it formed a definite crust which kept the meat moist. Amazingly enough, there was only a slight sweet taste, and only on the crust.
    Have wings, will travel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    I would be interested to know how the brown sugar treatment turns out. I make my own rubb, and I go easy on the sugar because I don't like my ribs to taste sweet...but the best brisket that I ever cooked, I coated it heavily in sugar and let it sit in the frige over night. I scraped the sugar off, added my rubb and cooked it at 250 degrees until it reached 190 degrees. The sugar seemed to have a "brining effect" and it formed a definite crust which kept the meat moist. Amazingly enough, there was only a slight sweet taste, and only on the crust.
    2LaneCruzer, I think the brown sugar treatment turned out excellent. There was noticeably more/thicker bark, which was my intent. As for the sweetness, it wasn't overly sweet. In fact, I'm realizing I need to use MORE RUB. I didn't have the brown sugar on for the 24 hour rub cure. I put the brown sugar on just before I put them into the smoker.

I've never smoked a brisket, got a good recipe to follow?

4. Top | #13
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSwan87 View Post
    2LaneCruzer, I think the brown sugar treatment turned out excellent. There was noticeably more/thicker bark, which was my intent. As for the sweetness, it wasn't overly sweet. In fact, I'm realizing I need to use MORE RUB. I didn't have the brown sugar on for the 24 hour rub cure. I put the brown sugar on just before I put them into the smoker.

I've never smoked a brisket, got a good recipe to follow?
    There are literally thousands of recipes/instructions on the internet for smoking a brisket, and quite a variety of smokers too. I have saved a lot of them and various BBQ websites; I will be more than happy to send them to you if you like, just PM me with an email address. If you have a Big Green Egg dealer around close, you might see if and when they have an "Eggfest". They set up 10 or so Eggs, invite cooks from all over, and share recipes and samples. Great fun.

Here's what I believe are the main points in cooking a brisket:

1. Selecting the brisket
    2. Preparation
    3. Cooking method
    4. Cooking time/temperature
    5. Serving

Selecting the brisket may be the most important part; I learned the hard way that you have to start with a good piece of meat to be successful. Brisket comes in Select, Choice and Prime grades. Buy the best you can get/afford. I don't think I would ever use a select grade any more; Choice does work well.

If you choose a big brisket, you may want to consider cutting it in two pieces, the point and the flat. I usually choose a smaller brisket and cook the thing whole. I prepare mine by washing, patting dry with a paper towel and covering it in sugar. I use what ever I have; some use brown sugar, and some purists use Turbinado sugar. I then put it in a baking bag over night in the frige. When I take it out, I remove all of the sugar that I can, spray liberally with olive oil and apply a generous amount of rubb. The rubb you use I think is important, but not critical unless it is too bland or too hot. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rubb or Cains BBQ spice. Little Pigs is good too. I use my own personal recipe, which is in the cookbook and which I am proud to share.

Cooking: I use my Big Green Egg, and enough chunk charcoal to go 12 or 15 hours if necessary. I use a mixture of smoking woods, but primarily Mesquite, Blackjack Oak, Pecan and/or Hickory. I like to take about 3 big chunks of each and put in the bottom of the smoker and cover with coals...I then add 3 or 4 smaller pieces of each wood to the top; close the top, bring up to temp and allow a few minutes for the initial smoke to clear, and put the brisket on. You can add wood along if you like; seems that cooking that long will mitigate a lot of smoke. I cook mine fat side up.

Time/Temperature: I cook mine at a smoker temp. of 225 degrees F, or as close as I can get it. I also use a digital thermometer in the brisket. The meat temp will slowly rise until it reaches about 160 degrees and it will just seem to stay there. I'm told at this temp the connective tissue is breaking down and it takes a while; then the temp will slowly rise. When you get to about 190, check for tenderness with a fork or some such; you have to decide when to take it off. I think if it's not tender by 200 or 205, it's not going to be tender.

I take mine off, wrap it in aluminum foil and then in an old beach towel or two. Place it in a picnic cooler and it will stay warm for several hours, so you can take it to Grand Ma's house later. Sitting like this also allows it to tenderize further. Take note when you're slicing the brisket; it has muscle fibers that run different directions. A brisket should ALWAYS be sliced cross grain. Sit back and enjoy the kudos and pats on the back. I like Head Country or Selmon Brothers BBQ sauce...not too sweet.
    farmgirl19 and JDSwan87 like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2LaneCruzer For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (09-11-2016), JDSwan87 (02-08-2016)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #14
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,056 Times in 2,999 Posts
    Had a great dinner, Pancakes, Bacon and Eggs.
    Now I can sleep-in in the morning.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #15
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Our family loves brinner, dreakfast, or whatever you call it. In our area, goetta is substituted for bacon.

9. Top | #16
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    I didn't cook anything today, but my lovingly wife cooked my favorite desert!

Sorry for the piece missing, but I didn't see this post until after I have some
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

10. Top | #17
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Hard to find anything that will beat a homemade pecan pie!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

11. Top | #18
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmich View Post

Mmmmm.... Pecan pie..... My kryptonite...
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.

12. Top | #19
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,056 Times in 2,999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmich View Post

Looks more like 2 pieces are gone. Could be the camera angle though.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Top | #20
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:53 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Now I can sleep-in in the morning.
    boy, them pancakes really had u up early, seen u posting so early haha!!
    farmgirl19 and jdmich like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast