Since it's cooling off a little, my taste has turned to soups, stews and chili. Here is a really good Chili recipe made with one of my favorite ingredients, honey. The cinnamon and honey add a distinctive taste I enjoy.
Spicy Sweet Honey Chili
2 lbs. ground beef
1 cup chopped sweet onion (Vidalia)
1 chopped garlic clove
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 1/2 diced jalapeno peppers
2 (15 ounce) cans chili beans
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can of petite diced tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons Accent seasoning, flavor enhancer
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3-1/2 cup honey
1 Crumble ground beef in large pan; add accent flavor enhancer (optional).
2 Brown ground beef.
3 Add onion, green pepper, and garlic.
4 Cook until onion is translucent/brown; drain.
5 Add tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, chili beans, chili powder, cumin, thyme, salt and cinnamon.
6 Stir and simmer on low for at least 25 minutes.
7 Add honey; stir well again.
8 Serve alone, over rice, or spaghetti.
9 Serve with cheese & crackers or great with corn bread as well!
- After draining the ground beef, rinse in hot water to remove even more of the fat
- Substitute ground Sirloin for ground beef
- I did not drain the petite diced tomatoes
- I used black beans, drained & rinsed.
- Didn't have a jalapeno so used green chili pepper
- Add a can of tomato sauce to make up for fluids I drained
- Add more red pepper powder and/or chili powder as it cooks down according to personal taste