• 4 Post By JimR
  • 1 Post By gbnpp05

Thread: Cast Iron Grill Grates

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:47 PM
    Thanks

Cast Iron Grill Grates

About 3 or 4 years ago, I got what I thought was a pretty decent grill. Overall it's held up well, but the cast iron grill grates are starting to rust pretty bad and are flaking to the point that I don't want to cook on them right now.

I have two options (if you don't include buying a new grill!)...

I can order a complete set of replacement cast iron grates for $110 (including shipping). These aren't straight from the factory, but they are an exact match size-wise. Or...

I can order a custom cut set of aluminum grates from these guys. With shipping, it will cost right at $200 (but I get a "free" flipper made for these grates! ). I don't mind paying the extra money if the aluminum will last pretty much forever. I can get them cut to the right length, but they only come in one width so I'll have about 1" of space at each end of my grill, which is no big deal.

Has anyone used these aluminum grates? From what I've seen online, they get good reviews - but I haven't seen a review from anyone on GTT (and that's what counts since I trust you guys!). Should they last a lot longer than the cast iron grates?

If I go with cast iron, is there anything I can spray on them after I'm done cooking to keep them from rusting?

I'd like to get something ordered today so the pressure is on you guys to help me out!!
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks
    Sorry I can't respond directly to your question. I have been grilling for 50 years, but never had a gas grill, nor used either aluminum or cast iron grates. Have Webers and a Big Green Egg. I can add this much though; the plated steel grates eventually peel and rust. The ceramic grates eventually flake off and have to be discarded. I purchased a Stainless Steel grate for my BGE and I love it. Pricey, but well worth it. If you have a SS option, you can't go wrong.
    Have wings, will travel.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Thanks
    For that kind of money, I'd grab the grates you have and go find someone to sandblast them for you. Once they are cleaned up, fire up the grill, coat them with (cooking) grease or lard and put them back in your grill. An hour or so at a 300° temp should leave them well seasoned.

This is why I never scrub my grates. People wash them and that takes all the coating off and they rust. I just leave mine in the grill and the grease/oils from whatever I cooked last sits there until the next time I use it. If you start the grill up and let it heat up fully the next time you use it, the heat will kill of anything that might hurt you.

I did have a set of aluminum grates in an older grill I had. They got brittle after a couple of years and broke when the grill got moved.
    PaDave, Milharri, 316 and 1 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:18 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    For that kind of money, I'd grab the grates you have and go find someone to sandblast them for you. Once they are cleaned up, fire up the grill, coat them with (cooking) grease or lard and put them back in your grill. An hour or so at a 300° temp should leave them well seasoned.

This is why I never scrub my grates. People wash them and that takes all the coating off and they rust. I just leave mine in the grill and the grease/oils from whatever I cooked last sits there until the next time I use it. If you start the grill up and let it heat up fully the next time you use it, the heat will kill of anything that might hurt you.

I did have a set of aluminum grates in an older grill I had. They got brittle after a couple of years and broke when the grill got moved.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Or wire brush them well and then season them like you would a cast iron skillet. Put some Crisco vegetable shortening on them and fire up the grill.
    I have a Weber Genesis grill that came with cast iron grates and they have held up well using JimR's method.
    316 likes this.
    Brian

2720 JD MCUT
    200CX Loader
    62D On Ramp Mid-Mount Mower
    61 Inch Bucket
    Grooved R4's
    Tiller King Kutter Professional Green 60-Inch TG-G-60-JP
    Rear Blade Woods 72-Inch
    Middle Buster King Kutter MB-YX

GT245 Garden Tractor

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gbnpp05 View Post
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Or wire brush them well and then season them like you would a cast iron skillet. Put some Crisco vegetable shortening on them and fire up the grill.
    I have a Weber Genesis grill that came with cast iron grates and they have held up well using JimR's method.
    If they really are cast iron , this is your answer!

Clean them up, season just like cast iron cookware and they'll last forever.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:47 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    If they really are cast iron , this is your answer!

Clean them up, season just like cast iron cookware and they'll last forever.
    That's probably the real question! They're probably not really cast iron. I'm getting large flakes of metal rusting off these things. Almost coming off in layers.

And like you guys, I never clean the stuff off. Just leave it on there until the next time and then burn it off.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    That's probably the real question! They're probably not really cast iron. I'm getting large flakes of metal rusting off these things. Almost coming off in layers.

And like you guys, I never clean the stuff off. Just leave it on there until the next time and then burn it off.
    Come to think of it, that's exactly what the fireplace grate in my fireplace is doing. I know it's not cast iron; some sort of welded steel bar.
    Have wings, will travel.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements