Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: Family Thanksgiving Traditions

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks

Family Thanksgiving Traditions

Anyone have special family traditions for the Thanksgiving table? We are quite conventional here; turkey, dressing, mashed 'taters and giblet gravy; baked sweet potatoes. One thing I always look forward to, is the Oven Baked-Bacon Wrapped Green Beans! Sharn Jean makes them a couple times a year, especially at Thanksgiving. It's one thing I really look forward to.

FWIW, this has come up before, and the recipe is in the GTT Cookbook!
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Bubber and 4 others like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Thanks
    Three years ago, I made venison chili for Wednesday the night before. I've made it since and have received many text messages making sure that I'd be making it again this year. So, accidentally a new tradition has been born.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Levi and 4 others like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    Three years ago, I made venison chili for Wednesday the night before. I've made it since and have received many text messages making sure that I'd be making it again this year. So, accidentally a new tradition has been born.
    Cool! That's the way traditions are born! Chili is a Halloween tradition here. We were pretty rural when we moved in this house; I used to stay home and give out the treats and Sharon would take the kids around in the car to let them do their trick-or-treat thingy. Dinner was a bit iffy; and we finally settled on me making chili (easy) so I could handle the little goblins too. It's been a tradition since 1972. No trick-or-treaters here any more, but we still have chili at our daughter's place on Halloween.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Bubber and 4 others like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:43 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    Cool! That's the way traditions are born! Chili is a Halloween tradition here. We were pretty rural when we moved in this house; I used to stay home and give out the treats and Sharon would take the kids around in the car to let them do their trick-or-treat thingy. Dinner was a bit iffy; and we finally settled on me making chili (easy) so I could handle the little goblins too. It's been a tradition since 1972. No trick-or-treaters here any more, but we still have chili at our daughter's place on Halloween.
    I make Cinnamon rolls every Thanksgiving morning. No trick or Treaters here either. It's sad. Short story day after Halloween morning I asked my grandson if he brought me any of his candy and he looked at me with a deadpan face and said "If I wanted candy I should have gone Trick or Treating" so funny7
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Bubber and 5 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    I make Cinnamon rolls every Thanksgiving morning. No trick or Treaters here either. It's sad. Short story day after Halloween morning I asked my grandson if he brought me any of his candy and he looked at me with a deadpan face and said "If I wanted candy I should have gone Trick or Treating" so funny7
    That is indeed funny!
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

8. Top | #6
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:50 AM
    Thanks
    All our family is gone in this life and we never had any children so just the two of us have a small turkey with all the fixings, a bottle of wine and then go for a walk out back (unless we get snow!) Our days are basically just the two of us and our cats now so we're used to it. The nephews and nieces have their own lives and some are states away. We are good with all this and we do enjoy each others company.
    We do miss the days with family and actually had a hard time choosing which parents we would eat with first!. I will never forget the day back some 30 years ago we had Pizza and prime rib for Thanksgiving and my father was so agitated that he never stopped reminding us about it! So much for a new tradition! He was a strict traditional holiday food guy! Oh well, we are looking forward to our dinner next week as you all are and the party the next day in the rock N roll barn is expected to be a full house.. One of our friends that married an English girl and now lives in England is coming home for the holidays, we are excited about seeing him again.. In our opinion, our friends are our family and we love them like they're blood..
    Everyone have a great Thanksgiving and I hope I didn't go of topic to far! Jeff
    Last edited by tj1; 11-16-2016 at 12:46 PM.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tj1 For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (11-16-2016), JDSwan87 (11-20-2016)

10. Top | #7
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:50 AM
    Thanks
    Anyone have special family traditions for the Thanksgiving table? We are quite conventional here; turkey, dressing, mashed 'taters and giblet gravy; baked sweet potatoes. One thing I always look forward to, is the Oven Baked-Bacon Wrapped Green Beans! Sharn Jean makes them a couple times a year, especially at Thanksgiving. It's one thing I really look forward to.

I'll have to get Mrs. Taylor to do the oven baked bacon wrapped green beans that sounds pretty darned good! Thanks for the tip! Jeff
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jefftaylor View Post
    All our family is gone in this life and we never had any children so just the two of us have a small turkey with all the fixings, a bottle of wine and then go for a walk out back (unless we get snow!) Our days are basically just the two of us and our cats now so we're used to it. The nephews and nieces have their own lives and some are states away. We are good with all this and we do enjoy each others company.
    We do miss the days with family and actually had a hard time choosing which parents we would eat with first!. I will never forget the day back some 30 years ago we had Pizza and prime rib for Thanksgiving and my father was so agitated that he never stopped reminding us about it! So much for a new tradition! He was a strict traditional holiday food guy! Oh well, we are looking forward to our dinner next week as you all are and the party the next day in the rock N roll barn is expected to be a full house.. One of our friends that married an English girl and now lives in England is coming home for the holidays, we are excited about seeing him again.. In our opinion, our friends are our family and we love them like they're blood..
    Everyone have a great Thanksgiving
    and I hope I didn't go of topic to far!
    Jeff
    If my posts don't wander off a little or a lot, I think my original post was to esoteric to be of interest.
    Gizmo2, BigJim55 and tj1 like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:00 AM
    Thanks

2lC-

Our T-Day of late starts with mimosas just after breakfast and with the Turkey in the oven. Alice's Restaurant is played at high noon off of the iPod/Klipsch docking station.

Turkey and the trimmings about 4:00PM, NFL on the television through the day. The festivities will migrate to the fire pit just before dark.

We add one or two new things each year.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving, all, and stay safe...

Brian
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

13. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,948 Times in 2,911 Posts
    I eat............a lot!
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast