Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Smokers ?'s

1. Top | #11

Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 01:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
    I like the electric ones for ease of operation. You have to add wood chips about every 15-20 minutes for the first 2 hours..after that, the meat doesn't absorb much more smoke, so at that point, it is set it and forget it...not to sound like Ron Popeil.

eventually, i'm getting a smoker from Langs.......

most likely this one..... 48" Deluxe Lang Smoker Cooker

cookshack smoker's are good. I have a coworker who swears by it......
    pcabe5 and BigJim55 like this.
    1025R with MMM and FEL and an LX186

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fungus For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (12-30-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #12
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:53 PM
    Thanks
    With the Cook shack smoker you just put three checks of wood in smoke box and put it a couple pork butts close door start it, open door in 10-12 hours and it perfect. No adding wood no rotating no nothin. I use a tool called "ROman prok puller" and can pull 2 butts in 45 seconds. Makes great sandwiches, adds great flavoring to baked beans. I like to put a pan of beans in under the shoulders the last two hours of the smoke and i add one piece of wood and the drippings from the pork shoulders and the apple smoke makes a great side.
    pcabe5 and BigJim55 like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

5. Top | #13

Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    Ok so there is no place for this to have a discussion. Maybe we need a food section or something. I am looking to buy a electric smoker. This one:

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-2...=pd_sbs_86_18?
    _encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JFC1FHRX5N34KDJ65AG8

Not interested in the pellets or charcoal versions. It seems the heating process is tedious at most and you have to baby sit the thing. I have been looking at the Masterbuilt with the remote RF. Anyone use these or have dealings with them?
    I bought one this year myself. I did a lot of research online as well. Plus my next door neighbor has a gas one. I was originally going to go the gas route myself until he said not too (he said you need to monitor the hole time cooking 30/45 minutes, until done). And he's out there about every weekend smoking.

So this turned me to the electrical version. I bought a materbuilt unit online due to the reviews. Plus the easiest to use out of all. To be honest the unit you showed a link to is nice but keep a few things in mind. You still need to invest in a good quality meat thermometer. Do not rely on the unit it's self for a 100% acurite temperature. Believe mine is off by six degrees, if memory serves me correctly. Also looking at the wireless temperature on the one you're looking at is kinda pointless to me. Just more items to fumble with and worry about. You're going to find you really don't adjust the temperature much if at all.

The other plus was the masterbuilt have good insulation compared to the competition (so they say). But anyhow there's going to be a lot of different opinions from everyone. I wanted a decent entry level unit to see if I liked them. Never smoked before, and so far love it. And as much as I hate walmart, that's where I bought mine online. The 2 year warranty, smoker and wood chips shipped for under 200 bucks. Good luck with whatever you choose is actually fun and you're neighbor's will go nuts with the smell.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Masterbui...ehouse/7811422

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Drifterbike likes this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #14

Last Online
    07-31-2018 @ 03:14 PM
    Thanks
    I have a Masterbuilt Propane smoker been using it for about 3 years and i really like it. I went with propane so i could smoke anywhere no need for electric cords etc. Plus i like the fact you can play with it alittle more. I use wood chunks not the chips so i dont have to add them as often. My understanding with electric you really can't use chunks because they do not get hot enough. Keeping a constant temp is not hard on a propane unit. First 15 or 20 minutes you adjust alittle to get it where you want it amd then you are basically good to go. There is some minor tuning here and there but it's not bad at all. After you get used to the smoker you're start time can be reduced to probably 10 minutes and minimal playing with the heat controls thru out the cooking time. I've done many a boston butt and was able to keep a good constant temp for 10 to 14 hours. Not trying to sway your mind just giving you another option. I really think any of the Masterbuilt units are good but like others have said the electric units go out quicker. My next one will probably be a offset stick burner get more of the authentic smoke flavor and it's more of a labor of love kinda deal with a stick burner lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    2032Ranger likes this.

8. Top | #15
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 PM
    Thanks

Smokers ?'s

Quote Originally Posted by ArlisConner View Post
    My next one will probably be a offset stick burner get more of the authentic smoke flavor and it's more of a labor of love kinda deal with a stick burner lol.
    I have access to all the red oak I have the time and energy to harvest and have been looking at offset stick burners. My neighbor has a Brinkmann and loves it. I can't find them anywhere. Sam's club has a nice one but it's got a regular propane burner attached to it (that I don't need). I like getting a nice oak fire going, searing the meat, then letting it smoke for a bit in the other chamber.
    Last edited by 2032Ranger; 12-31-2016 at 08:45 AM.
    ArlisConner likes this.
    2016 2032R w/H130, 53" Bucket, Frontier AP12F Pallets Forks, 5’ King Kutter Rotary Tiller, TSC Carry-All, Engine Block Heater.
    2000 345 w/48c Mower Deck, Front Bumper, Halogen Lights, Governor at Max RPM. 367hrs
    1990 Push Mower, electric start, rear bagger.

9. Top | #16

Last Online
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Thanks
    Sweetie bought me an electric MasterBilt smoker several years ago when we both lived in apartments. I was having trouble getting it up to temperature and when I called them they told me to unplug it from the extension cord and plug it directly into the wall. That posed a bit of a problem at the apartment since we had rules about how close to the building you could have something like that. I did get it to work after that.

If I buy a dedicated smoker again, I probably won't go with electric. Right now I use my 5 burner grill and only use 1 or 2 burners and a wood chip box. I've turned out some pretty good ribs with that! Eventually I'd like to get a "real smoker" though.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

10. Top | #17
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    I would encourage some of you who have never tried Mesquite as a smoking wood to give it a try if it's available. I suspect those of you in the Northern Climes might have have difficulty finding it though. Another wood that might surprise you is Black Jack Oak. It's available here, as is the Mesquite and they are my mainstays as smoking wood. I also like Pecan and Hickory. Mesquite is a bit on the strong side, so it can be overdone if you aren't careful.
    Have wings, will travel.

11. Top | #18
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Thanks
    Look at a Smokin-It Smoker. I have a #2 which pretty good size, I've done 4 full racks of ribs with plenty of space extra. I measure my wood in ounces, usually 2-3 ounces is all you need for a good smoke. I've smoked ribs, a whole turkey, 3 pork butts at once and smoked Mac and cheese, all with excellent results. Extremely easy to use, ALL stainless steel, easily cleaned, excellent customer service and has a positive lock door, not a crappy gasket...

www.smokin-it.com

Here's from my last pork butt..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

12. Top | #19
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Electric?

I don't know if I could pull myself into using an electric smoker. I guess if I was in the right situation.... I guess I'm a wood fire man.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

13. Top | #20
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Electric?

I don't know if I could pull myself into using an electric smoker. I guess if I was in the right situation.... I guess I'm a wood fire man.
    I tried woodfire... once and only once... then went to propane. Propane was ok but it was hard to regulate temperature and used too much wood I thought. Started looking into electric smokers and in taking with the guys at work, came across Smokin-It. I applaud your dedication dieselshadow.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast