Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Smokers ?'s

1. Top | #21
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Thanks
    I'm a propane smoker guy. I use one of these:

Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 40" Vertical Gas Smoker With Value Kit : Cabela's

I added an eight inch cast iron skillet in the bottom above the burner to put apple chunks in. The only time that I have temp issues is when it's windy, then I just shield it with a piece of plywood and all is well.

I'm saving up for a reverse flow stick burner. It'll be a little while on that one, though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #22
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks

Smokers ?'s

www.amazingribs.com lots of great information and reviews of many different smokers. Over 500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by J3 Driver; 01-01-2017 at 05:01 PM.
    Bubber likes this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

4. Top | #23
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSwan87 View Post
    I tried woodfire... once and only once... then went to propane. Propane was ok but it was hard to regulate temperature and used too much wood I thought. Started looking into electric smokers and in taking with the guys at work, came across Smokin-It. I applaud your dedication dieselshadow.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Please don't take my post as condescending. It wasn't meant that way. All I meant was I just can't see myself using anything other than a fire for smoking. I wouldn't call it dedication....maybe self-inflicted torture? Smoking is an art. There is no correct way to do it. If you have a good product, who am I to argue?

BTW, I will need samples to verify your work. The pictures you've posted could be fake....
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #24
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Please don't take my post as condescending. It wasn't meant that way. All I meant was I just can't see myself using anything other than a fire for smoking. I wouldn't call it dedication....maybe self-inflicted torture? Smoking is an art. There is no correct way to do it. If you have a good product, who am I to argue?

BTW, I will need samples to verify your work. The pictures you've posted could be fake....
    Didn't take it condescending at all!!! Never crossed my mind. I figured out woodfire smoking was an art really quick and I wasn't willing to pay (in lost time and meat) to learn that art. I know of a few other people who only woodfire smoke and they swear by it. For me, the learning curve wasn't worth the cost. I bought my first (and last) propane smoker at a garage sale for $40, it served me well and I had great results. It was a Brinkman 7-in-1 jobber that could deepfry stuff too. I just didn't like having to babysit it and check on it every 20 min. I dealt with it for about 6 years before I saved up enough money for my electric one. Next batch of jerky I make, I will send ya some if I remember .

Since someone mentioned wood types, my preferred wood type is hickory then cherry. I tried mesquite and actually gave it away, it was too strong of a flavor for me. Sugar maple is ok but it tastes too much like I'm eating right off of a camp fire...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    dieselshadow likes this.

7. Top | #25

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:42 PM
    Thanks
    Wow! I am glad I asked this question. So much information to read from. I have gotten some great ideas from here. Thanks for all the great input. I do think I will stick to an electric smoker for now. At least for this beginner. Still looking at the masterbuilt for ne. Someone brought up a good point to not depend on the built in thermometer. So I may steer away from that one. Go with a cheaper model and get a good separate thermometer. Keep the ideas coming though, it has certainly been an eye opener, I have a few sites bookmarked and building my knowledge base. Happy new year everyone.
    Drifterbike likes this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

8. Top | #26
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Thanks
    This has served me very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's got good range with an audible temp alarm. I just take it with me in the house, or the shop. They have bluetooth models that will work with your phone, but the reviews are mixed and I can't imaging that they would have the range of the one that I linked.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubber For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (01-02-2017)

10. Top | #27

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 09:16 AM
    Thanks
    Ooooh. I just saw this was a thing out here. Green smokers to match green tractors!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	882654_633402866675867_1006226101_o.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	304041
    CNGreen and Drifterbike like this.
    2016 -- 2025R Tractor w/ iMatch. H130 FEL.
    BB2060 Box Blade, PB1001 Bottom Plow, PM1001 Middle Buster, RC2060 Rotary Cutter,
    Artillian 36" Forks, Artillian Front-Hoe Bucket,
    WoodMaxx TM-86H Wood Chipper, Edge Tamers, Ratchet Rake.
    2015 -- Z920M Mower.

11. Top | #28
    Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Big Green Egg is top shelf. I have a friend who uses his year round. very easy to use. I have eaten out of it and the pulled pork was great. Nothing bad to say about the "EGG"
    CNGreen and Troutgeek like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

12. Top | #29

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 09:16 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    Big Green Egg is top shelf. I have a friend who uses his year round. very easy to use. I have eaten out of it and the pulled pork was great. Nothing bad to say about the "EGG"
    Yep. We use them all year. Very easy to manage the fire too.
    2016 -- 2025R Tractor w/ iMatch. H130 FEL.
    BB2060 Box Blade, PB1001 Bottom Plow, PM1001 Middle Buster, RC2060 Rotary Cutter,
    Artillian 36" Forks, Artillian Front-Hoe Bucket,
    WoodMaxx TM-86H Wood Chipper, Edge Tamers, Ratchet Rake.
    2015 -- Z920M Mower.

13. Top | #30
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    I have a large one and I love it (this comes as no surprise to anyone who has read my past posts). The main shortcoming it has is capacity. The one grate is not large enough if you have a big cook out. I can cook 4 or 5 slabs of baby backs with ease, but that's about it...but for just me and Sharn Jean and the grand kids, that's enough. I do have a Weber Smoky Mountain Smoker that has at least twice the capacity and will cook equally well as the BGE (and is MUCH cheaper, BTW) that I use when I have to cook for big crowds, like the Elks Lodge. The Weber, however, has a water pan which has mixed reviews, but my biggest complaint is it is a pain to clean up afterwards.
    Have wings, will travel.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast