• 1 Post By 2LaneCruzer
  • 1 Post By farmgirl19

Thread: Fried Chicken Recipes?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks

Fried Chicken Recipes?

Do any of you guys have either some passed down recipes for fried chicken or maybe some you've learned of or made up yourself that you'd care to share?

For me, this time of year makes me eager to devour some crispy fried chicken, fresh garden tomatoes and other veggies and some cold iced tea. No pun intended, but I mainly go for the breast meat.

Do any of you use a rub or a marinade prior to frying the birds?

This thread has been approved by Chik–fil–A.

Last edited by green and red man; 08-02-2013 at 04:32 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    When I cook chicken, I usually grill it. I marinate it overnight, before placing on the grill. I find chicken, especially white meat, seems dry to me, if I don't do it that way. I'll look through some of my collection and see if I have anything that would fit here, for you though.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

green and red man (08-02-2013)

5. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,948 Times in 2,911 Posts
    I just love fried chicken and never get it unless we go out to eat. Bring it on!
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

green and red man (08-03-2013)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    I just love fried chicken and never get it unless we go out to eat. Bring it on!
    Me too. There used to be a franchise restaurant called Jim Dandy. They cooked some mean bird. Don't know why they disappeared.

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green and red man View Post
    Do any of you guys have either some passed down recipes for fried chicken or maybe some you've learned of or made up yourself that you'd care to share?

For me, this time of year makes me eager to devour some crispy fried chicken, fresh garden tomatoes and other veggies and some cold iced tea. No pun intended, but I mainly go for the breast meat.

Ok, first, let me say I had you figured for a "leg man".

As far as seasoning the chicken, you can just salt and pepper just before cooking, or add salt and pepper to the flour, but I think it is better to season with salt, pepper, or seasoning salt, and place the chicken back in the refrigerator for a few hours. So, season it in the morning, and then cook it at noon, or season at noontime, if you want to cook it for supper. I remove the skin from the chicken, before seasoning, as I don't like the skin on mine, but like to eat the crispy breaded part. If you don't want thick, crispy breading, then pull the chicken from the fridge, and roll the pieces in flour and place in moderately hot (350*) shortening or good quality oil, and fry until brown. If you want a little extra crispness, then directions follow.

Beat 3 eggs with 1/4 cup water. Dip chicken in eggs, then roll in *self rising* flour (you may need 1 1/2 to 2 cups), coating well. Then proceed to fry as above.

Remember, white meat takes less time than dark meat to cook, up to 5 minutes longer, so start those pieces first, if you are cooking an entire chicken. The breast meat will take approx. 9 minutes to cook, where the thigh can take 13-14 minutes. This will also help keep the oil hot, since you will not be adding all of the cold pieces at once.

Enjoy!
    green and red man likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

green and red man (08-03-2013)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-25-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks

my fried chicken

My husband is usually the one responding but since i prepare the fried chicken and or boneless chicken fingers he thought i should respond..... I do however do most of the mowing on our John Deere X-758.

Very simple

season the chicken

salt (I use kosher salt)
    pepper
    Lawrys seasoning salt
    goya sazon orange seasoning
    old bay
    all purpose flour 1 to 2 cups depends on how much chicken you are making

Liberally season the chicken pieces with each of these ingredients once both sides are seasoned add flour and keep tossing til all pieces are well coated. fry in deep fryer at 375 degrees for bone in chicken at least 20 mins and for boneless 5 to 7 minutes Boneless usually floats when done.

enjoy
    2017 4066M and H180, Woods BB48X Rotary Mower
    2012 XUV 855D
    2013 X758, 7-Iron 54 Mower
    LA135

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreeneME For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19 (08-09-2013), green and red man (08-13-2013), pcabe5 (08-12-2013)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you, ladies, for the info.

Will have to try your suggestions out. Fried chicken sure is addictive.

A friend of mine (now in heaven) owned a franchise that sold fried chicken as their main item. I've forgotten the name .

Anyhow, he said it was so much work, especially on days he had special sales, that he would just be absolutely worn out from cooking chicken day after day. He said it was the sale days that he made the most money on. Wish I could recall the name of that restaurant. Seemed like he always had some kind of various food type businesses going.

I'll pass on telling y'all what it was like to help kill and clean 500 chickens to feed people in need.

Last edited by green and red man; 08-13-2013 at 09:05 PM.

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green and red man View Post

This thread has been approved by Chik–fil–A.

I realize I'm a bit late on this one, but I do have one addition to make. Sharn Jean cooks up some mean fried chicken; and I do pretty well with chicken grilled and smoked. I can share my techniques with grilled/smoked chicken if anyone is interested, but what I have to add is this: For the most part, chicken you get at the grocery store has been frozen and thawed. This freezing/thawing procedure, in my opinion, lowers the over all quality of the final product. We have a product available here called "Smart Chicken". It's chicken that is chilled, but never frozen...and it will give you the best fried chicken you will ever get, all things being equal. They are expensive, but to me it's worth the difference. That's all we ever buy, except I will buy chicken wings that have been frozen.
    Have wings, will travel.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 2LaneCruzer For This Useful Post:

green and red man (10-18-2013)

16. Top | #9
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Smart Chicken is also free range, not caged and fattened in the quickest time frame. That too, improves its flavor! I use it, even in soups and stews.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

green and red man (10-18-2013)

18. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Smart Chicken is also free range, not caged and fattened in the quickest time frame. That too, improves its flavor! I use it, even in soups and stews.
    Aha! That would account for a difference in flavor. I also like not having the off-color that you find around the long bones on frozen chicken.
    Have wings, will travel.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements