Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Cooking with Sesame oil

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Thanks

Cooking with Sesame oil

Ate some stir fry veggies the other evening that were excellent...crispy with a smoky flavor like they had come off a grill or smoker. The waiter said they were prepared with Sesame oil, ginger and garlic. Sesame oil is new to me; just wondered if anyone had experience with it. I bought some and plan to experiment with it. Any testimonials out there?
    Thanks,
    Dennis
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 3 others like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    Ate some stir fry veggies the other evening that were excellent...crispy with a smoky flavor like they had come off a grill or smoker. The waiter said they were prepared with Sesame oil, ginger and garlic. Sesame oil is new to me; just wondered if anyone had experience with it. I bought some and plan to experiment with it. Any testimonials out there?
    Thanks,
    Dennis
    I have been cooking with it for many years. It is the first thing to hit the pan when I do stir fry which is quite often. I like to put real garlic oil in with it for cooking the meat part of the stir fry. I use ginger powder, teriyaki and soy sauce also in the mix. I also will put in some of the stir fry sauces that can behad at the gourmet Chinese section of most markets. House of Tsao is one such sauce. Yummmm!
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 5 others like this.
    2320 200cx loader, 46 backhoe, 54"snowblower, original cab, Titan 42" forks, welded on hooks by neighbor.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:09 PM
    Thanks
    I've used sesame oil for many years, but just as a flavor additive and not as the main oil for stir frying. I think that it has a very strong flavor and I will just add a dash or two near the end of cooking. I'll use EVOO, peanut or corn oil or other light oil for the main stir fry.

If I am stir frying, I prefer fresh herbs such as garlic and ginger and only use powdered or dried if fresh is not available. To me, there is a night and day difference between powdered ginger and fresh ginger. If you don't use all your ginger root over a period of time, you can freeze it so it won't dry out or mold.

Good to experiment with food and cooking.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Tomfive; 02-04-2017 at 09:32 PM. Reason: my not so perfect spelling and grammar
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,361 Times in 1,066 Posts
    my wife used to use Crisco and if and when we had it-nice white hog lard. nothing any better in my personal opinion. now she uses (jeez-i just can't think of the word thats on the bottle)

as far as stir fry stuff here-none--i have ate it once--my one friend who i met while trucking, had me to his house, and he actually made it for me-it wasn't to bad-i guess. i told him it was good , so i wouldn't hurt his feelings then--but he has since passed on, so i can now say how i liked it -or not.
    pcabe5, ColonyPark, PaDave and 1 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    my wife used to use Crisco and if and when we had it-nice white hog lard. nothing any better in my personal opinion. now she uses (jeez-i just can't think of the word thats on the bottle)

as far as stir fry stuff here-none--i have ate it once--my one friend who i met while trucking, had me to his house, and he actually made it for me-it wasn't to bad-i guess. i told him it was good , so i wouldn't hurt his feelings then--but he has since passed on, so i can now say how i liked it -or not.
    Too many vegetables and not enough dead animal for some people! It is a matter of personal taste. I would rather eat stir fry than Sheetz's devil biscuits!
    2320 200cx loader, 46 backhoe, 54"snowblower, original cab, Titan 42" forks, welded on hooks by neighbor.

8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:10 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,895 Times in 2,871 Posts
    Good post 2LaneCruzer.
    We have a bottle of sesame oil but have never figured out how to use it.

pappa, Enlighten us a bit more a bit more, we mostly do stir fry veggies.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #7
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post

Pappa making a stir fry video would be awesome.👍 We could cook along.😄

I'm all ears as well, I make stir fry but it needs more flavor.😄

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Good post 2LaneCruzer.
    We have a bottle of sesame oil but have never figured out how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by pcabe5 View Post
    Pappa making a stir fry video would be awesome. We could cook along.

I'm all ears as well, I make stir fry but it needs more flavor.
    I shall do my best to create a Stir fry for dummies post tomorrow. It's late, I need to digest the 2 helpings of crock pot roast beef and the Warrior game is starting.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 2 others like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,361 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pappa View Post
    Too many vegetables and not enough dead animal for some people! It is a matter of personal taste. I would rather eat stir fry than Sheetz's devil biscuits!
    why-hell yes-i probably would too. in fact i know i would now-after my episode i had with them devil biscuits-jeepers
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Thanks
    Great responses, guys! Thanks! I'm contemplating maybe experimenting with Sesame oil in some of my grilled or smoked meats. They're pretty good as they are, but who knows. Having worked in a research lab for 16 years, I still kinda like to experiment...I just don't keep all those tiresome old records that I did then.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5 and ColonyPark like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast