• 3 Post By Grumpka
  • 2 Post By Bulitt

Thread: 270B Backhoe Bent Bucket Curl Piston

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Thanks

270B Backhoe Bent Bucket Curl Piston

I have a new 2 month old 270B backhoe and I already bent the 1" diameter piston while digging.
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...es-happen.html
    I would say that I did not do anything unusual with the hoe to cause this, and I would also say that the hoe should not be susceptible to this kind of damage. Thankfully the JD warranty covered the piston, so I am receiving a replacement any day now.

My question is, can I get a heavier piston (say 1.25" diameter) to replace the OEM piston? I would like to prevent this type of damage in the future.

Thanks, Sincerely
    Last edited by HomesteadJoe; 07-24-2017 at 10:02 AM.
    rtgt and raco232 like this.
    BadAss 2038R, R3s, R4s, Spacers, Eng & Xmission Heaters, LEDs, Cages, Fender Flares, Front Fenders, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, Hitch-N-Can, 800# Quick Tach Weights, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket, Tooth Bar, Single Point Hyd, 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, WR Long 3rd Function Hyd, 270B Backhoe, 72D MMM, Front 3 pt Hitch, 366 FMB Blade, PHD300 Post Hole Digger with Auger Set, LR2172 Landscape Rake w/gage Wheels, RB2072 Rear Blade, BB2072 Box Blade, AP12F Pallet Forks, EA 72" Pine Needle Rake, Fit-Rite TNT

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts

Soon to be new backhoe owner, so I am going to follow this closely.

I know these machines are not full construction grade so I want to make sure that I use it within its limits.....

Your previous post sent shivers down my spine!

Sometimes we have to break something to learn something..... and sometimes you can learn something without breaking yours.

My novice first thought to your question was if the cylinder is upgraded, what would be the next fail point?
    Gizmo2, BigJim55, raco232 and 1 others like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:37 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,189 Posts
    Not that this helps the issue at hand....

When I bought my 2520 I did look at the backhoe. At the time I was an equipment operator running backhoes and excavators at work. When I looked at the little backhoe I was turned off right away - it looked like a toy to me.

But with that said, I have seen how many folks do lots of work with them. But as with anything with these little compacts, a certain amount of care or an easy touch is warranted I think. Just like with the loader, you can just go ramming into stuff as things will get bent easily.

A little finesse with the controls goes a long way.
    raco232 and HomesteadJoe like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,893 Times in 2,870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post

Soon to be new backhoe owner, so I am going to follow this closely.

I know these machines are not full construction grade so I want to make sure that I use it within its limits.....

Your previous post sent shivers down my spine!

Sometimes we have to break something to learn something..... and sometimes you can learn something without breaking yours.

My novice first thought to your question was if the cylinder is upgraded, what would be the next fail point?
    I've been using these small BH's since 1988. I've yet to have an issue and have dug out some damn big stumps.
    IMO, This is either a design flaw or a manufacturing defect. I've read of a few of these but I would not call it a common occurrence.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and HomesteadJoe like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HomesteadJoe View Post
    I have a new 2 month old 270B backhoe and I already bent the 1" diameter piston while digging.
    Not a piston. It's a rod. No. 2 is the piston. No. 5 is the rod.

This has happened to other here. I don't know if they've found the cause.

Gizmo2, rtgt, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Michael

'84 JD 750
    '08 JD Z445
    '71 JD 15 Chainsaw
    And a bunch of other stuff.

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"?
    - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    If you somehow managed to get a larger diameter rod with the matching cylinder cap and seal and wiper, as an added bonus you would have faster retract speed although less retract pressure due to the loss in fluid surface area on the rod side.

If you were determined to beef up the weak point then MAYBE a hydraulic shop can identify rod stock to retrofit to your cylinder that is the same diameter but has been made of an alloy that has been hardened and tempered to a higher tensile strength before plating than the oem shaft.
    There are PROBABLY a variety of pre finished cylinder shaft materials already available that can be cut and fitted to an application.

IF such a better rod material is found to be available then it should be duck soup for a proper shop to retrofit your cylinder.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and HomesteadJoe like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

I've seen rods on all size cylinders get bent. Sometimes it's a design flaw, sometimes it's tolerance stack, sometimes it's operator error and sometimes it's a combination of all three. Looking at the picture in the other post 2 things I notice:

1) There is a scrape on the dipper stick along the same plane as the bend in the rod suggesting that either something may have contacted the rod then the dipper stick or they hit something in operation, giving the extended and loaded cylinder the nudge it needed to exceed the yield point of the rod.

2) The rod shows wear just before the inner radius of the bend. This may be the result of lens distortion or chrome plating separating from the rod because of the bend but it may indicate a less than spec straightness of the rod prior to the failure.

One thing to keep in mind is that cylinders are their weakest when fully extended, encountering a load and no cylinder rod is perfectly straight. All it takes is a slight side load if the components are maxed out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dipper stick close up.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	417082
    Gizmo2, Tomfive, rtgt and 4 others like this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Just saw this thread. Was thinking that I wanted the new 2038R w/ the 'improved' 270B..... Maybe I'll stop worrying about how much better a 2038R and 270B would be and just enjoy the fact that my machine takes a beating despite it's flaws here and there ;)
    Gizmo2, rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    Steve Grumpka of Sussex County NJ

2025R ( H130, 270A BH w/ JD thumb, + 54D MMM)
    LT150, 38" deck.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpka View Post
    Just saw this thread. Was thinking that I wanted the new 2038R w/ the 'improved' 270B..... Maybe I'll stop worrying about how much better a 2038R and 270B would be and just enjoy the fact that my machine takes a beating despite it's flaws here and there ;)
    Sometimes it's not "Greener" on the other side of the fence!
    BigJim55 and Grumpka like this.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulitt For This Useful Post:

Grumpka (07-25-2017)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,547 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulitt View Post
    Sometimes it's not "Greener" on the other side of the fence!
    With most equipment these days it doesn't seem to be a case of greener as much as it is weighing the strengths and weaknesses. It seems that each new model (and previous models) has things that are improvements and perhaps things that are a PITA. The challenge is finding a balance.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements