Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Why pictures sideways?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks

Why pictures sideways?

Why the heck do pictures randomly turn sideways?
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isn’t paying attention*

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Thanks
    I found that if you are taking cell phone pictures on iPhone take landscape with the home button on the right side. The pictures I take with my iPad seem easier to up load. You can preview them before you upload and if they are sideways go into edit and rotate them. It's kinda of hit and miss. Good luck
    flyweight and PJR832 like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,610 Posts
    There's been a software "handshake" issue between forums and mobile devices, more commonly with Apple that causes this. Pretty much all forums are afflicted by this issue with no real fix.

Until they come out with some software to let the end user rotate the images, we'll continue to see sideways or even upside down photos every now and again.
    Gizmo2, flyweight and PJR832 like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 05:45 PM
    Thanks
    Open them on your PC with the edit button. They will probably show as being in the correct orientation which adds to the confusion. Then hit the save file button. Now when you load them to a site they will orient correctly.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Thanks
    Hey there

Most pictures these days come straight off our phones. The phones software embeds some coding in to each image when it is taken. This code tells the phone which way is 'up' and displays it correctly for you. Unfortunately, that coding cannot be read by most forum software and so the pictures appear whichever way they were taken with the phone.

There are some tips to get the 'correct' orientation for your photos on your phone.
    Android users take photos with the HOME button to the RIGHT.
    Apple users take photos with the VOLUME button DOWN.

This is the 'correct' orientation for pictures on your phone. The developers base this off of a DSLR camera that takes photos in landscape mode as a default. So when you take a picture with your phone in portrait view, it's like turning the DSLR camera to the side to take a portrait photo.

You can also open your pictures in an editor on your computer and manually rotate them. If you use an editor on your phone, you may need to crop off a couple pixels, or save a new name so that a change is registered.

You can also use photo hosts like Photobucket, etc, that have the software needed to read the coding on the images from the phones.

Niall

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 05:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vs-Admin View Post
    Hey there

Most pictures these days come straight off our phones. The phones software embeds some coding in to each image when it is taken. This code tells the phone which way is 'up' and displays it correctly for you. Unfortunately, that coding cannot be read by most forum software and so the pictures appear whichever way they were taken with the phone.

There are some tips to get the 'correct' orientation for your photos on your phone.
    Android users take photos with the HOME button to the RIGHT.
    Apple users take photos with the VOLUME button DOWN.

This is the 'correct' orientation for pictures on your phone. The developers base this off of a DSLR camera that takes photos in landscape mode as a default. So when you take a picture with your phone in portrait view, it's like turning the DSLR camera to the side to take a portrait photo.

You can also open your pictures in an editor on your computer and manually rotate them. If you use an editor on your phone, you may need to crop off a couple pixels, or save a new name so that a change is registered.

You can also use photo hosts like Photobucket, etc, that have the software needed to read the coding on the images from the phones.

Niall
    We have an Admin?
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

9. Top | #7
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulitt View Post
    We have an Admin?
    Um, yes.

<-----

I'm not the only one either.
    PJR832 likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,304 Posts
    I've posted a lot or pics with my Apple iPad and iPod. I always have the home button to the right. Every pic has always posted in the correct orientation. Maybe a phone (iPhone) is different? I can't see why as they all run the same operating system.
    PJR832 likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 06:02 PM
    Thanks
    there's meta data encoded in the .jpg that shows orientation. It comes down to if the software on the site reads it and then orients the picture correctly.

I've got a a feature on my emergency responder tracking web site where users can submit photos by emailing them to the site. Then in software (PHP) I extract the data and rotate the image so it's always good.

Reading in a pix with software on a PC or Mac (Preview function on both) deals with all this, then if you save it writes out in the most common orientation so the that pix will render OK from there on out.

Pete
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thank you, Pete - that was very insightful!

Let us know if any of you guys are able to follow Niall's instructions above on getting the 'correct' orientation for your photos on your phone and posting them up here or any forums with success.

Thanks,
    Natalie

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast