Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: GTT is an unsecure site for some reason

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:42 PM
    Thanks

GTT is an unsecure site for some reason

I tried logging in today and my computer notified me that the site was unsecure. In other words someone could be harvesting passwords and watching activity. Noramlly the siite is a secured connection. Anyone know what's up??
    2014- JD 1025r
    L120 59" FEL, 260 BH, 60D MMM
    66"/54" plow with Artillian extension and rubber edge
    Artillian 36" forks
    JD 550 3PT Tiller
    54" spike aerator
    Fimco 3PT 40 gal boom sprayer
    Trac-Vac 580
    CMP 3PT 60" Dethatcher
    51" Lucknow 3PT rear snowblower
    Omni Transformer 3PT weight rack w/ 2" hitch receiver 6-42lbs weights

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,612 Posts
    It's fine. It's an update to the site we haven't done yet to make it "happy" with the current browser software. Your information is not in any real jeopardy.
    Tomfive, Levi, 96PSD and 2 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    Interesting observation, but I don't know if this is related or not. I connected with the site this morning as I normally do, but today it asked me to log in with password. Normally, I "stay" logged in. I didn't even think to see if I was at the right URL, but I had 2 failed attempts since I forgot what my password is, I had to look it up on my list Third attempt was successful so I just assumed I was at the right place.

I didn't think it was too odd since this has happened a few times before, but there is usually chatter about it from other members. I didn't see anything and just chalked it up to me returning from vacation, where I have logged in with my same laptop using a different wifi source.

Just my 2 cents and waiting for some more comments

OK I just read post #2.
    Last edited by Tomfive; 08-06-2017 at 08:36 PM.
    Levi and PJR832 like this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    07-27-2019 @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks
    I don't mean to be a neigh sayer but no, your data isn't secure. Anything you post on a forum is basically public anyways so mostly it doesn't matter but since the site does not use https even during authentication (login), your password is sent in clear text over the internet for anybody with the proper tools and knowhow to grab... make sure (you shouldn't anyway) that you don't use the same password from this site someplace else.

Also, looks like the domain has some DNS issue or other hosting problems. Perhaps an explanation for the slow initial load of the forum for me and many others. https://greentractortalk.com goes to "the canadian guitar forum" which uses a free lets encrypt ssl certificate. Sounds like some shared hosting is going on?

Whoever is in charge of this site's hosting and DNS really should get this fixed ASAP.
    etcallhome likes this.
    2017 1025R sporting turfs, 54" snowblower with remote chute kit, 54" auto connect MMM with mulch kit, H120 loader, 42" Titan forks, coolant heater and Original Tractor Cab.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxified View Post
    I don't mean to be a neigh sayer but no, your data isn't secure. Anything you post on a forum is basically public anyways so mostly it doesn't matter but since the site does not use https even during authentication (login), your password is sent in clear text over the internet for anybody with the proper tools and knowhow to grab... make sure (you shouldn't anyway) that you don't use the same password from this site someplace else.

Also, looks like the domain has some DNS issue or other hosting problems. Perhaps an explanation for the slow initial load of the forum for me and many others. https://greentractortalk.com goes to "the canadian guitar forum" which uses a free lets encrypt ssl certificate. Sounds like some shared hosting is going on?

Whoever is in charge of this site's hosting and DNS really should get this fixed ASAP.
    Actually it creates a md5 hash of your password in the browser and submits that, so the password technically isn't sent in clear text. It's still not super secure, but it's not nothing.

That being said, they should really get certs for all of their domains and get their virtual configs straight.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,135 Times in 2,578 Posts
    There are already a few recent threads on this, including this one: http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ot-secure.html
    etcallhome and dieselshadow like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 09:55 PM
    Thanks
    Hey guys,

This is a known issue. Short version of it - the site is as secure as it's ever been. There is an extra layer of security that is getting added in the near future that will make that warning go away.

Longer Version: that warning is letting you know that the site doesn't use Https, a security feature that mostly protects the site from a MIM attack (or Man in the Middle). A MIM is when someone is intercepting what you are typing, as you type it. Since most of everything that is being typed here is going to a public forum that can be read by anyone, and there is zero eCommerce going on, it's never been something that made a lot of sense for us to protect against. However, now that Firefox has started flagging sites that don't use the feature, and Google Chrome will be doing the same come November, we'll be adding this extra security feature.Adding Https to the site has always been on the "to-do" list, but it's being pumped up in priority, mostly to keep the sites reputation as a safe place. No official ETA on that though.

We thank you for your patience and understanding on this matter.

Cheers,
    Natalie
    dieselshadow and Oscar Leroy like this.

10. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,085 Times in 3,015 Posts
    This is getting to be a real PITA...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	436650

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled 2.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	436658
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 678 Posts
    I had the same thing happen with my Weather Underground website early this morning. Firefox.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014

12. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,085 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmo View Post
    I had the same thing happen with my Weather Underground website early this morning. Firefox.
    The issue I'm having has been going on for the last couple of days. Took me 3 tries to open this thread, probably take a couple tries to post this.
    If it's a simple certificate issue why hasn't it been fixed???????

That was one try...
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast