John Deere Gator 6x4

Thread: John Deere Gator 6x4

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks

John Deere Gator 6x4

Ok, SO my gator was running just fine and the other day I went to start, it was dead. I assumed dead battery. I put a charger on it. While charging, the cooling fan is staying on. I assume this is what is dragging it down and it wont charge. Any Suggestions? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    Here is what the TM1518 manual says the radiator fan switch is SUPPPOSED to do regarding coolant temperature -- what year is your 6x4 and does is have the gas engine?
    Radiator Core Temperature Switch:

Early Models (To Model Year 2002)
    Closes (Continuity - Radiator Fan ON) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 71 ± 4° C (160° ± 7° F) Opens (Infinity - Radiator Fan OFF) . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 60 ± 4° C
    (140° ± 7° F)

NOTE: The radiator core temperature switch closes when the coolant heats to 89° C (192° ± 7° F)
    raising the outer radiator core temperature to 71° C (160° ± 7° F). The outer radiator core
    temperature is approximately 20° C (36° F) lower than engine coolant temperature.

Later Models (From Model Year 2002)
    Closes (Continuity - Radiator Fan ON) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 93 ± 3° C (200° ± 5° F)

Here is some more information:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6x4 cooling fan theory of operation.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	22221

Is your coolant temperature light lit? does the fan stop if you unplug the temp sensor??

Let us know what you find...

Chuck

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

Sensor

I do not know the year. When I unplug the battery charger, the fan stops. Where would I locate the temp sensor to try that?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    And yes it is GAS!

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    This excerpt from the TM1518 shows where components are located on your gas 6x4 gator on the first two pages. The temp sensor is in the upper right hand corner of the radiator housing when viewed from under the passenger seat... The rest of the pages show both the wiring diagram and the individual harness pictorials and component outlines. Let me know if you have additional questions.
    gas 6x4 gator electrical from TM1518.pdf

Chuck

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok, so one step at a time. I took the cables off the battery and charged the battery by itself. When I hooked the battery back up, the fan came on immediately. I looked at the switch on the wall by the passenger side back wheels. There are 2 boxes, according to the one in back, it is the heater core switch but the connector is built in (wont slide out). I removed the passenger seat and unhooked the wire going to the fan for now so it wont run.
    There is a red/black wire coming from the fan and going through the harness to the back. I could NOT trace where it went. I am not the mechanic.... This is why I take it to John Deere and pay too much to get it fixed!!

Based on this can you tell me which switch I need to replace? Could it be in the ignition switch as well?

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    If you look in the document I attached to my last post on its page 312 you will see a line drawing of the coolant temp switch in the lower left hand corner -- it appears to screw in like an oil pressure switch, but there are apparently two versions.

Elsewhere in the large TM1518 (it is a 56.5 MB file with 692 pages...) there are three pages that show how to remove this temperature switch and illustrates each of the two versions. I will attach an excerpt with these pages to let you know how to remove and test the temp switch. Hopefully the photos included on these pages of the manual will help you identify and replace your failed switch.

remove and test temp switch 6x4 Gator from TM1518.pdf

The ignition (key) switch cannot be an issue in your symptom as it is not in the circuit. The fan motor is separately powered through the fusible link F2 such that it can run after you shut the rig off until it cools properly (much like a modern automobile...) You can see this wiring on pages 277 and 278 of the TM1518, which are the 4th and 5th pages of the attachment to my last posting above...

Let us know what you find and if you have additional questions...

Chuck

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements