Used Gator buying advice needed.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree13Likes
  • 7 Post By 56FordGuy
  • 1 Post By coaltrain
  • 4 Post By 56FordGuy
  • 1 Post By jd.rasentrac

Thread: Used Gator buying advice needed.

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts

    Used Gator buying advice needed.

    Sorry if this is has been asked/answered before, my search abilities are weak.
    I'm just looking for advice on buying a simple 2WD Gator, gas engine, that I can use to haul firewood out of the woods, yard waste and general hauling around a couple of acres. I was thinking used 2WD, gas 2 seater, manual dump bed in the 2-3K range. I do see some 825i s on CL for mid teens to thousands, what gives with these?

    Thanks,
    David

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    56FordGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    10,020
    Thanks
    479
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 1,085 Posts
    I have the type of Gator you want. Mine is an older 4X2 model, two wheel drive, single cylinder 10 hp Kawasaki engine and manual dump bed. It's a good, solid machine that can be found well within your price range.

    It does have some drawbacks. The only suspension is in the front so the ride can be a bit bumpy at times, and top speed is under 20 MPH. If a previous owner was too gentle with the shifter there could be some worn parts in the transmission, but it's not a terribly involved fix if you're mechanically inclined. They all grind a little when shifting, the trick is to shift firmly and don't baby it or try to ease it into gear.

    As for things to watch for, other than the transmission just general condition. Good brakes, tight steering, check the bottom of the bed for rust. Let us know what you find.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 4 others like this.
    -Blake

    Your mileage may vary.

    JD 6410
    Some other stuff

    YouTube- Life in Wyoming

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    I have the type of Gator you want. Mine is an older 4X2 model, two wheel drive, single cylinder 10 hp Kawasaki engine and manual dump bed. It's a good, solid machine that can be found well within your price range.

    It does have some drawbacks. The only suspension is in the front so the ride can be a bit bumpy at times, and top speed is under 20 MPH. If a previous owner was too gentle with the shifter there could be some worn parts in the transmission, but it's not a terribly involved fix if you're mechanically inclined. They all grind a little when shifting, the trick is to shift firmly and don't baby it or try to ease it into gear.

    As for things to watch for, other than the transmission just general condition. Good brakes, tight steering, check the bottom of the bed for rust. Let us know what you find.
    Thanks! Just wanted to make to check if there were some years or models to avoid.
    I'll see what I can find.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Location
    Lehigh Valley PA
    Posts
    3,228
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 201 Times in 195 Posts
    It does have some drawbacks. The only suspension is in the front so the ride can be a bit bumpy at times, and top speed is under 20 MPH. If a previous owner was too gentle with the shifter there could be some worn parts in the transmission, but it's not a terribly involved fix if you're mechanically inclined. They all grind a little when shifting, the trick is to shift firmly and don't baby it or try to ease it into gear.



    I had to read that 3 times. lol Usually slamming the shifter is what causes transmission problems. Information like this is sold gold.

    No suspension in the back is rough. Good thing they don't go over 20 mph.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

  7. Top | #5
    MDrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Location
    S.E. WI
    Posts
    3,792
    Thanks
    267
    Thanked 615 Times in 394 Posts
    56Ford is correct. They really are made to be stuffed into gear. I have an 07 HPX 4x4 with power dump. I love the power dump. I found it on MachineFinder and picked it up pretty cheap.
    Mike

    Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

    300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

  8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:38 PM
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    33,630
    Thanks
    5,606
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 2,824 Posts
    We had a CX 4x2 GREAT little machine.
    I agree with all 56FordGuy wrote.
    Keith

    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

  9. Top | #7
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:32 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    19,191
    Thanks
    1,033
    Thanked 2,993 Times in 2,165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
    Sorry if this is has been asked/answered before, my search abilities are weak.
    I'm just looking for advice on buying a simple 2WD Gator, gas engine, that I can use to haul firewood out of the woods, yard waste and general hauling around a couple of acres. I was thinking used 2WD, gas 2 seater, manual dump bed in the 2-3K range. I do see some 825i s on CL for mid teens to thousands, what gives with these?

    Thanks,
    David
    The 825i starts at $12k and can quickly become over $15k with a few accessories. One outfitted with a lot of goodies becomes $20k.
    grnspot110 likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  10. Top | #8
    56FordGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    10,020
    Thanks
    479
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 1,085 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    I had to read that 3 times. lol Usually slamming the shifter is what causes transmission problems. Information like this is sold gold.

    No suspension in the back is rough. Good thing they don't go over 20 mph.

    It's counter intuitive for sure. One of, maybe my first post ever on GTT was about this very issue and turned into a complete teardown and rebuild. http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...nsmission.html


    The 4X2 transmission does not have any synchronizers to help the gears mesh when shifting. What I have found is that when shifting from neutral, use the choke to idle down and then shift firmly into the direction you want. You don't have to jerk the shifter into gear, but you want to hear a good solid 'clunk'. You can then open the choke and take off. When shifting between directions without stopping in neutral, I hold the brake pedal and shift straight across without choking the engine down.
    Gizmo2, bhill, flyweight and 1 others like this.
    -Blake

    Your mileage may vary.

    JD 6410
    Some other stuff

    YouTube- Life in Wyoming

  11. Top | #9
    jd.rasentrac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Location
    Felsberg, Hessen, D
    Posts
    896
    Thanks
    318
    Thanked 229 Times in 126 Posts
    Wow, Blake, this post is from 2012 - you're a real old Ford guy (can't remember if I was Born in 2012...)
    56FordGuy likes this.
    LANZ D 1906 | John Deere LANZ 510 | John Deere 112 | John Deere 3120 | John Deere CR 125 | Gator XUV 550 | 18S Cart | Güldner AZK

    Wolfgang Gustav, regards from beyond the pond!

  12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •