• 2 Post By bhill
  • 1 Post By Phanes

Thread: Need advice on shocks and a new machine

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-26-2017 @ 05:54 AM
    Thanks

Need advice on shocks and a new machine

So just to give a bit of background we have a few acres where I live and about 10 miles of logging roads. My son and I for the last few summers have been riding quads on the logging roads but we have gotten a bit bored with them. We have a five month old and a two year old as well as our eight year old son. This summer we decided to get a campsite in northern New Hampshire and ride coos county. Our first weekend up my son and I did a 100 mile trail ride, coos country has over a thousand miles in connected trails, and it was a real eye opener. We both came back exhausted from the manual steering on our quads and pretty beat up. I also spent a lot of time pulling him out of the mud.

What I noticed on the trails was almost everyone was in a side by side of every make and model I did not see a gator however. I did a lot of research and test drove Polaris, Can Am, Artic Cat, and many others. What I did not like about most side by sides is how loud they were. My wife did not like it either and neither did my 2 year old. In the end we got a 590I S4.

The last three weekends we have done trail rides over 100 miles long. We can't take the five month old out yet even in a good seat it is just too bumpy for his little head. My two year old goes between being asleep or yelling wheee and my son loves riding shotgun. The 590i is a very capable trail rider.

I do bottom out occasionally sometimes just operator error not picking the right path through the rougher areas and sometimes we are bouncing on the shocks and go down to low and bottom out.

I was looking for some advice on the following.

1. What happens if I use the spanner wrench to stiffen the shocks. I realize less bounce but will it mean feeling every bump even more? On all three trail rides I only bottomed out due to bounce once or twice per trail ride. However with the shocks on a the factory setting it is a pretty smooth ride over all the bumps. I can probably avoid most bottoming out as my skill level increases and I get better with the machine.

2. Is there a lift kit for the gator? If so what effect does it have on the machine itself? The Gator was designed to ride at a certain height I am afraid adding a lift kit may interfere with it's performance or make it dangerous to operate.

3. Do the off road tires offer more clearance? The turf tires have had no problems running the trails, mud, and sand. The official gator off road tires are $1500 bucks that seems like a lot to spend to replace tires that work really good. Is there a better choice of tires where I can just get the tires online somewhere and pay a mechanic to switch the tires and not the rims as well?

Finally next year we will need a second side by side as my five month old will be able to ride, he can't right now even in a good seat too many bumps for his little head, I was thinking of getting an 825i RSX two seat model. However after doing some research a new outfitted 825i starts getting into the price range of 1000cc RZRs. The RZRs have better ground clearance and more power than the 825i so if I am in the price range of one of those I might as well go with an RZR. My son and I can deal with how loud they are but my wife and younger ones do not like it.

I like the idea of sticking with Gator because I only have to learn one type of machine in terms of parts, dealers, etc. However the RZRs seem like a more capable machine in terms of trail riding.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 2,824 Posts
    Congratulations on the 590i and welcome to GTT.
    I would take the spanner wrench with you on a trail ride and play with the adjustments.
    Can you measure your ground clearance from the floor board down? I'll compare it to our 560 that has off road tires.
    jd.rasentrac likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome to the GATOR side and enjoy
    LANZ D 1906 | John Deere LANZ 510 | John Deere 112 | John Deere 3120 | John Deere CR 125 | Gator XUV 550 | 18S Cart | Güldner AZK

Wolfgang Gustav, regards from beyond the pond!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 2,824 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Congratulations on the 590i and welcome to GTT.
    I would take the spanner wrench with you on a trail ride and play with the adjustments.
    Can you measure your ground clearance from the floor board down? I'll compare it to our 560 that has off road tires.
    13"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1352.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	415898
    jd.rasentrac likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    I did some research and there is a couple places on line that sell off road tires. However they are the same height inflated as the stock tires so I don't think they will give more ground clearance. The turf tires do pretty good even in mud so I am going to stick with them.

I will take the spanner out on the trails with me next time I go for a run.

Anyone have any feedback on the 825i RSX?
    Gizmo2 likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phanes View Post
    So just to give a bit of background we have a few acres where I live and about 10 miles of logging roads. My son and I for the last few summers have been riding quads on the logging roads but we have gotten a bit bored with them. We have a five month old and a two year old as well as our eight year old son. This summer we decided to get a campsite in northern New Hampshire and ride coos county. Our first weekend up my son and I did a 100 mile trail ride, coos country has over a thousand miles in connected trails, and it was a real eye opener. We both came back exhausted from the manual steering on our quads and pretty beat up. I also spent a lot of time pulling him out of the mud.

What I noticed on the trails was almost everyone was in a side by side of every make and model I did not see a gator however. I did a lot of research and test drove Polaris, Can Am, Artic Cat, and many others. What I did not like about most side by sides is how loud they were. My wife did not like it either and neither did my 2 year old. In the end we got a 590I S4.

The last three weekends we have done trail rides over 100 miles long. We can't take the five month old out yet even in a good seat it is just too bumpy for his little head. My two year old goes between being asleep or yelling wheee and my son loves riding shotgun. The 590i is a very capable trail rider.

I do bottom out occasionally sometimes just operator error not picking the right path through the rougher areas and sometimes we are bouncing on the shocks and go down to low and bottom out.

I was looking for some advice on the following.

1. What happens if I use the spanner wrench to stiffen the shocks. I realize less bounce but will it mean feeling every bump even more? On all three trail rides I only bottomed out due to bounce once or twice per trail ride. However with the shocks on a the factory setting it is a pretty smooth ride over all the bumps. I can probably avoid most bottoming out as my skill level increases and I get better with the machine.

2. Is there a lift kit for the gator? If so what effect does it have on the machine itself? The Gator was designed to ride at a certain height I am afraid adding a lift kit may interfere with it's performance or make it dangerous to operate.

3. Do the off road tires offer more clearance? The turf tires have had no problems running the trails, mud, and sand. The official gator off road tires are $1500 bucks that seems like a lot to spend to replace tires that work really good. Is there a better choice of tires where I can just get the tires online somewhere and pay a mechanic to switch the tires and not the rims as well?

Finally next year we will need a second side by side as my five month old will be able to ride, he can't right now even in a good seat too many bumps for his little head, I was thinking of getting an 825i RSX two seat model. However after doing some research a new outfitted 825i starts getting into the price range of 1000cc RZRs. The RZRs have better ground clearance and more power than the 825i so if I am in the price range of one of those I might as well go with an RZR. My son and I can deal with how loud they are but my wife and younger ones do not like it.

I like the idea of sticking with Gator because I only have to learn one type of machine in terms of parts, dealers, etc. However the RZRs seem like a more capable machine in terms of trail riding.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Yes there are lift kits for Gators, Super ATV offers a 2" lift .
    You should check out Discount Tires Direct online for tires. They are a site sponsor and are off-road enthusiasts, so they really practice what they preach.
    And finally JD offer 825i XUV and 860 RSX models as well as others. The 825i is a great all round machine, it offers some great utilitarian features such as a large cargo bed with an electric dump. The 860 is really setup more as a trail machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2 and jd.rasentrac like this.
    2006 JD 3520
    300CX
    I-Match
    Frontier BB2272
    Frontier AF11E-6 Way Snow Blade
    Frontier SS1079 Poly Spreader
    ABI Classic 50 Manure Spreader
    Speeco Model 65 PHD
    Land Pride- Rotary Deck Mower
    Rimguard 610 lbs
    Ballast Box 510 lbs
    Artillan Forks
    Kens Bolt On Hooks.
    2012 JD Gator 825i
    Deluxe Cab with heat

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    I did see the super ATV lift kit but it did not say if it fits the 590i. I assume the spacers go in the bottom of the shocks. There are a few ATV dealers near me I was thinking of just calling them and seeing if they can fabricate something.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements