Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ronster

Thread: 6x4 TH Gator steering

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-05-2019 @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks

6x4 TH Gator steering

Hi everyone. Thinking about getting the 6x4 diesel Gator for mostly yard work, cleaning up, etc. I like the flotation type tires. Does anyone have any experience with the 6x4? I'd like to know about any problems of the front end having trouble steering when all 4 rear tires are engaged. Maybe more aggressive knobby tires on the front would help the steering. Please let me know.
    Ronster
    JD2520 Kubota KX008

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Hi everyone. Thinking about getting the 6x4 diesel Gator for mostly yard work, cleaning up, etc. I like the flotation type tires. Does anyone have any experience with the 6x4? I'd like to know about any problems of the front end having trouble steering when all 4 rear tires are engaged. Maybe more aggressive knobby tires on the front would help the steering. Please let me know.
    Ronster
    Ok,guess I don't need a 6x4 TH Gator. (Thanks Jon)
    JD2520 Kubota KX008

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:35 PM
    Thanks
    Jon,

I don't know how many folks follow this topic closely enough to see new posts in less than a day, but until it gets a wider viewing I can give you some opinions and direct experiences. I have owned both a 4x2 Turf Gator and also a 5x4 AMT 626 which is the predecessor to the 6x4 configuration. The latter rig has but one front wheel and drives with all four rear tires on chain coupled rear axles...this gives a differential to the left versus right sides but not to the front versus rear member of the tandem. Even with that very constrained geometry, the unit turned pretty well on turf and loose material -- but did exhibit a noticeable tread scrubbing on paved surfaces. This scrubbing is more profound on the front set of rear tires, and if you look at a number of used units you will likely find the tread worn more on those wheels if no wheel rotation has been done.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMT phantom view.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	26759 and here is typical tire wear: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMT 626.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	26758

My personal preference would be to use HDAP tires on all wheels of a general purpose Gator, and would probably suggest against choosing the 6x4 for paved surfaces. Other members here will likely have more and perhaps different experiences to share.

Chuck
    Attached Files Attached Files

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 06:52 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 2005 TH gasser and the only time I lock the rear wheels is if I get in a mess. I will say that unless you have a bunch of weight in it, that is the most useless piece of equipment I have ever owned as it can't even get over a small snow bank and as soon as it sees mud it is stuck. I took the middle set off wheels off mine to put more weight on the other ones and still don't really like it all that much. As a matter of fact when I can afford to it is getting traded for a Polaris Ranger Crew 4x4.
    John

Case 1070 Agri King with Cab loader and 12 Speed Power Shift

JD X485 with 62C deck
    JD 425
    JD 325 With 48 inch Deck and 30 Mechanical Tiller
    JD Gator TH 6x4
    JD 216H 46 mower and 33 tiller
    Stihl MS250, KM130R

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info guys. After talking to a well informed JD dealer, for my needs, I think I'll be better served by the HPX 4x4 diesel.
    Ronster
    JD2520 Kubota KX008

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements