Green Tractor Talk banner

2016 HPX Gator

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Herminator 
#1 ·
I have a 2016 HPX Gator that has a problem maintaining a battery charge, it has to be jumped to start and after 10-15 minutes it stops running. Installed a new battery, didn't fix the problem. Now, the next step is to check the alternator and it's output. My next problem is I can't find the alternator. I have a worker who is an excellent mechanic and he says there is no alternator. Is this correct? I've checked the JP Parts for a Gator HPX and it shows an alternator and belt. I bought the Gator 6 months ago from a dealer in Oregon and shipped it to Hawaii. It was a used Gator that had 65 hours, still has a warranty. I'm very reluctant to take it to the local JD dealer, I don't have a lot of confidence in their repair technicians.

Here is a video showing the engine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdxqkvoxsdg59lr/2017-08-07 11.03.27.mov?dl=0

#2 ·
The alternator is an option. If it has it, it is on the passenger side bottom side front of the engine. Looks like a car alternator.

It has a flywheel alternator like other small engines. I doubt this failed they usually don't on something that new, but I would check the electrical connections or the regulator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.