Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Gator 620, building a glass windshield and roof

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-29-2017 @ 08:32 AM
    Thanks

Gator 620, building a glass windshield and roof

Hi. New member here. I've undertaken a project to build a laminated glass windshield in metal frame and a metal roof for a 620i gator.

My current hurdle is that I need the dimensions for the front roll bar. I'm building this as a surprise gift for a friend and I cannot drive 4 hours each way to take the measurements. I've tried to find a 620i gator locally but had no such luck

The front windshield area has an odd shape in so much as it angles out and back in, width wise.

If anyone can please take a few minutes and measure the dimensions of the front roll bar openings, I'd be incredibly grateful. And I can post up pictures of my build and any specs folks would want.

Basic specs for now will be 14 gauge steel frame with 1/4" laminated glass mounted with windshield gasket. Roof will also be 14 gauge and will have fore and aft LED flood lights with an overhead interior switch panel and some dome lights. Budget is $300. I might add a wiper if I have time.

Really appreciate any help!! The attached sketch shows the dimensions i would ideally have. If someone is able to measure for me, couldyou please do so from the outside of the roll bars?

Thanks again for any assistance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1510281429273716110451_1510281556180.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    05-04-2019 @ 12:39 PM
    Thanks
    Read my post regarding the DFK cab kit that I fitted to a 620i and contact them for pricing of individual components such as the windshield,as these units have been reduced to a fraction of their original prices.
    BigJim55, jd.rasentrac and PJR832 like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMinIN View Post
    Read my post regarding the DFK cab kit that I fitted to a 620i and contact them for pricing of individual components such as the windshield,as these units have been reduced to a fraction of their original prices.
    I read your recommended post and those prices are still much higher than I can build one for.....

Your post mentions you did a lot of measuring etc. If so do you still have the measurements handy? I'd very much appreciate them, if so.

I was able to find a local 825i and measure it today. Does anyone know if the 825i roll bar has the same front dimensions as a 620i?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 15103386769761591879533_1510338692478.jpg  
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    I was able to find a helpful local and now have the information I needed. Soooo time to get welding!

Moderators - please feel free to close or delete this thread.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 1,046 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokiegator View Post
    I was able to find a helpful local and now have the information I needed. Soooo time to get welding!

not yet-we want some pics when ya get it all fixed up some. u can't just bait us on-and then shut the door on us
    etcallhome, Gizmo2 and PJR832 like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Thanks
    But why? Next time - or in two years - we'll have a similar request and than this thread can be a reminder And every thrad is a chance to proof our thoughts...

AND - I hope it's no sign that you'll leave the community. GATOR riders in forums are few and far between - we need every rider to talk about our hobby
    etcallhome likes this.
    LANZ D 1906 | John Deere LANZ 510 | John Deere 112 | John Deere 3120 | John Deere CR 125 | Gator XUV 550 | 18S Cart | Güldner AZK

Wolfgang Gustav, regards from beyond the pond!

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post

[IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif[/IMG]not yet-we want some pics when ya get it all fixed up some. u can't just bait us on-and then shut the door on us[IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/door-close.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/1/lol.gif[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by jd.rasentrac View Post
    [IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/1/hi.gif[/IMG] But why? Next time - or in two years - we'll have a similar request and than this thread can be a reminder [IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/1/thumbup1gif.gif[/IMG] And every thrad is a chance to proof our thoughts...

AND - I hope it's no sign that you'll leave the community. GATOR riders in forums are few and far between - we need every rider to talk about our hobby [IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/1/drinks.gif[/IMG]
    My apologies! Not trying to leave anyone hanging - just didn't seem to be much interest.

Once it's finished I'll post up the final product. Plans changed already due to material availability. Frame is 1/8" steel flat bar.

Cost is shaping out to be:
    -Steel: $30
    -1/4" laminated glass cut to size $70
    -Install/weatherstrip $TBD
    -Led lights/switches/wiring $60 (some stuff I already had laying around)
    -Paint/finishing: $20 (finish will be done in bedliner for durability)
    etcallhome and jd.rasentrac like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quick update. Frame is done. Dropping it off tomorrow at the windshield shop. Used 1/8"x2" flat bar, prepped primed and painted. Welded in small radius in the corners so they can run one strip of gasket instead of having to cut the corners. Looks nicer too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171117_175823_1511150580541.jpg   20171118_200507_1511150831452.jpg  

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:26 PM
    Thanks
    Nice frame!
    etcallhome, pcabe5 and Cjet69 like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Got the glass installed. Used trim lok 1 piece locking gasket. Thing is VERY stout. Heading to Pennsylvania with it and the canopy on Friday to install this weekend. So I should have some finished pictures afterwards.

Cost ended up increasing due to the supplier screwing up and sending me the wrong gasket. Total windshield cost installed was $150 including gasket and glass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171122_144337_1511395842413.jpg  
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Chuckv and 4 others like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast