Like Tree12Likes
  • 12 Post By SAMinIN

Thread: BOLENS Lawn Keeper

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-04-2019 @ 12:39 PM
    Thanks

BOLENS Lawn Keeper

Posting this thread because of the ... "Other Recreational Vehicles"..... description of this forum section (lol).

The basis for this project were three mid-60's Bolens articulated riding mowers that i wanted to 'resto-mod' into transportation for the various swap meets that my wife and I attend. The 'Lawn Keeper' design featured a Peerless 2 speed transmission(w/ reverse) ,foot clutch,foot brake,automotive type of differential, and the novel 'hinge in the middle' design with a 32" (3 blades) deck attached to the front of the chassis.

They were well made, and expensive @ $600 plus,selling for as much (and more) than some garden tractors at that time. I know of two LK's still being used for mowing(!).

So,after the usual disassembly,cleaning,refurb,replace,repaint,re-power(w/ e-start 6HP B&S),they were ready to transport us 'round the events,which they have done very well for the past 6 years. Both fit easily inside a full size short bed P/U truck,so no trailer BS to contend with.

The articulation feature was a bit odd to get used to at first, giving a unusually 'tight' turning radius to say the least. The only downside of these little vehicles is likely the constant interest and conversations they generate when driven at events.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LK (2).jpg camo LK 2.jpg My Pics 209.jpg My Pics 196(1).jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:02 PM
    Thanks
    Never have seen this Bolens model before -- nice re-purposing to show transport!

A very obvious "his and hers" paint motif going on there...

Chuck

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    07-17-2019 @ 07:05 PM
    Thanks
    Those are REALLY COOL!! Back in the late 70's, early 80's I used to repair lawn equipment. I don't think I ever saw one of those (but I never worked for a Bolens dealer either).

Are they electric start so you can shut them off / restart them easily?
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements