• 2 Post By Chuckv

Thread: Gator spitting fuel out of carb

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-21-2018 @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks

Gator spitting fuel out of carb

Greetings all,

I'm brand new to the board this evening and hoping you folks can help.
    Just so you know I'm not a complete idiot , I have been working on pre 80's V8 motors for most of my life. (I'm 64)
    Now, with that being said, I'm sure this is going to be one of those "You stupid idiot" moments when you tell me what I did wrong.

I rebuilt the Kawasaki FD620 in a friends 6x4 Gator, It fired up and ran but it was spitting fuel out the carb (a lot of fuel)
    I pulled the engine back out assuming I must have screwed up the cam timing, I didn't, the timing marks were fine.
    I manually ran it through its cycle(s) and deduced that I could possibly be 180 degrees off.

I turned the crank 1 full turn which brought the mark on the crank gear and the cam gear to the 12 o'clock positions, I then pulled the cam out and rotated it 180 degrees to it's 6 o'clock position which then realigned the marks. I put it all back together installed it in the cart and its still doing the same darn thing!

Just so you know what I'm looking at... the mark on the cam gear is about a 1/8" to 3/16" dia hole and the mark on the crank is a punch mark. I do not see any other marks on either gear. And of course the service manual just says "Line up the marks"

When I run it through it's 4 "strokes" with a wood dowel in the spark plug hole, I can see that the intake valve is opening to soon.
    Either the marks aren't right or I'm doing something totally wrong.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated, and please be gentle. "You [email protected]#$#%$ idiot is totaly acceptable" I can take it!

Thanks, Darwell
    Gizmo2 and wildbranch2007 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Thanks
    It is great that you checked the timing and all but did you by chance check the carb? Something simple like a stuck float could cause this. Maybe you did go through the carb but I didn't see it mentioned so I don't want to assume that.
    jd.rasentrac likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    It is great that you checked the timing and all but did you by chance check the carb? Something simple like a stuck float could cause this. Maybe you did go through the carb but I didn't see it mentioned so I don't want to assume that.
    Hi sennister,
    I cleaned the carb twice with no luck so I bought a new one. Still no luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Thanks
    Just a comment ... You know that Einstein said (IIRC) that "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome". When you tried to "reset" the cam timing by rotating the crank one full turn and rotating the cam a half a turn ... and aligning the timing marks again, you basically reset the timing to the same position.

In my minimal experience, gas coming out of the carb is caused by either wrong cam timing, or a leaky intake valve. Did you check compression and/or do a leakdown on the cylinder(s)?

You seem to know quite a bit about engines, and if you feel that the intake is opening too early, I may agree and think that the timing marks may be wrong. It wouldn't hurt to move the cam one tooth to the right direction and see. I would suggest checking free rotation at least a few revolutions to make sure a crash will not occur before starting.

Good luck, and let us know.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Tomfive; 02-20-2018 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added "direction" to text.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfive View Post
    Just a comment ... You know that Einstein said (IIRC) that "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome". When you tried to "reset" the cam timing by rotating the crank one full turn and rotating the cam a half a turn ... and aligning the timing marks again, you basically reset the timing to the same position.

In my minimal experience, gas coming out of the carb is caused by either wrong cam timing, or a leaky intake valve. Did you check compression and/or do a leakdown on the cylinder(s)?

You seem to know quite a bit about engines, and if you feel that the intake is opening too early, I may agree and think that the timing marks may be wrong. It wouldn't hurt to move the cam one tooth to the right direction and see. I would suggest checking free rotation at least a few revolutions to make sure a crash will not occur before starting.

Good luck, and let us know.

Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks Tom,
    Einstein was quite right about that insanity theory because every night when I have a beer I assume I'll be able to stay awake for the evening news but for the last 10 years it hasn't worked I always fall asleep.
    When I reset the timing I wasn't quite sure whether I was doing the same thing or whether I was moving the timing from cylinder one to cylinder two or vice versa.
    I have to face reality and acccept that the timing is off. I guess what I'm hoping for is that some knowledgeable person will come on and say," oh yeah a few years back the Kawasaki assembly line got screwed up and the timing punch machine punched all the dots 90° off , so to time this engine, the crank dot needs to be at 12 and the cam dot needs to be at three."
    I know, I'm dreaming!
    Tomfive likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Thanks
    Something else came to mind and that is to make sure the cam and crank gear are clean, then look again for timing marks. I only have limited experience, but I have only seen "V" or "XX" timing marks, don't recall ever seeing a hole as a timing mark, only blind holes for balancing. Doesn't hurt to look again now that what you thought were timing marks didn't work well.

Maybe an after the fact question, but I guess you didn't match up the timing marks before you disassembled.

You can always try a google search or youtube search ... I've found some good (and bad) information on-line. Maybe you'll luck out and find the "magic" timing mark answer.

2 cents, good luck.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Thanks
    First, do you have the manuals? Here is the FD620 section from the Gator TM and should cover the carburetor adjustments and the timing info as well...

FD620D section from TM1518 manual part1.pdf
    FD620D section from TM1518 manual part2.pdf

You should be able to see enough of the relative movements of engine parts by removing the spark plugs to see piston travel and take the valve covers off to see valve movement...

Keep the faith -- your fix is going to be simple once you find the root cause of the issue.

Chuck
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Chuckv; 02-21-2018 at 08:21 PM.
    Tomfive and jd.rasentrac like this.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements