INSURANCE - 825i Gator - How are you all handling insurance?
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By etcallhome
  • 4 Post By SulleyBear
  • 1 Post By mikeb
  • 1 Post By SulleyBear

Thread: INSURANCE - 825i Gator - How are you all handling insurance?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-14-2015 @ 08:54 AM
    Thanks

Question INSURANCE - 825i Gator - How are you all handling insurance?

Just bought an 825i. I'm trying to figure out the best way to insure my gator. My insurance agent seems clueless. They are trying to insure it in the same category as a motorcycle or atv, which leads to much higher rates than insuring it as a utility vehicle. They don't seem to understand the concept. I'm trying to explain to them that a motorcycle and atv are designed to be used solely for recreation in somewhat inherently dangerous activities, whereas a utility vehicle is designed for work related purposes. Does anyone have any insight or other knowledge that they can share with me on how they insured their UTV, the coverage and the costs?

-Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    Not sure what your state laws require but here in WV I believe they fall under ATV classification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    I have a Kawasaki Mule. For FAIR week my daughter takes it the Fair. We have to pay a fee for it to be at the Fair and the Fair requires liability insurance. Since it's off my property I had to get special coverage. It cost about $60 for the year. Liability only. No theft,comp, or collision.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 AM
    Thanks
    Just did a quick review of VT laws and it looks like they don't make any distinction between ATVs and UTVs. In fact, it looks like their definition includes golf carts too.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    02-19-2016 @ 11:02 AM
    Thanks
    I had an 850i and it had to have its on insurance but my 825i is covered under my home owners insurance as long as it's on my property.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,545 Posts
    I have Erie Ins and they wrote me a underwriter policy for both the Gator and tractor fel, bh, and attachments. Pd the premium about 10 mos ago and thinking it was around $200 < > $50.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,418 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by masinvt View Post
    Just bought an 825i. I'm trying to figure out the best way to insure my gator. My insurance agent seems clueless. They are trying to insure it in the same category as a motorcycle or atv, which leads to much higher rates than insuring it as a utility vehicle. They don't seem to understand the concept. I'm trying to explain to them that a motorcycle and atv are designed to be used solely for recreation in somewhat inherently dangerous activities, whereas a utility vehicle is designed for work related purposes. Does anyone have any insight or other knowledge that they can share with me on how they insured their UTV, the coverage and the costs?

-Mark
    Tell your agent to check into "Inland Marine Coverage". Yes, I know this has nothing to do with a boat, but this is a broad category used to cover just this type of item. It is often used on construction equipment, tools and a wide variety of items.

This definition should point him / her in the right direction. If they don't know what an Inland Marine policy is, then I suggest getting a different agent.

Look up Inland Marine Insurance in Wikipedia. It explains how the coverage works and why it is called such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_marine_insurance

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 10-13-2014 at 08:33 PM. Reason: added link to wikipedia
    2365, kabic, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    05-20-2016 @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Tell your agent to check into "Inland Marine Coverage". Yes, I know this has nothing to do with a boat, but this is a broad category used to cover just this type of item. It is often used on construction equipment, tools and a wide variety of items.

This definition should point him / her in the right direction. If they don't know what an Inland Marine policy is, then I suggest getting a different agent.

Look up Inland Marine Insurance in Wikipedia. It explains how the coverage works and why it is called such.

Inland marine insurance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps.
    My 2032r is on an Inland Marine Policy. I wanted to make sure it was covered when using it off my property and the financing required it to be insured as well. JD offers insurance with the financing, but the Inland Marine policy has better coverage for almost the same cost. My particular policy does not allow commercial use, but I don't do commercial work with my tractor.
    BigJim55 likes this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeb For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (10-30-2014)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,418 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    My 2032r is on an Inland Marine Policy. I wanted to make sure it was covered when using it off my property and the financing required it to be insured as well. JD offers insurance with the financing, but the Inland Marine policy has better coverage for almost the same cost. My particular policy does not allow commercial use, but I don't do commercial work with my tractor.
    I have found that a good agent and clarification of precisely what we are trying to insure as well as how we use the items and there doesn't seem to be anything which I have not been able to cover.

I even had an inland marine policy which covered the entire contents of my drag racing trailer, which was well over $100k in replacement costs. They would even provide some coverage on the race car itself, but once it hit the track, all bets were mine and not theirs, which was fine with me.

This is precisely why a good knowledgable agent is worth their cost of involvment in my insurance transactions......You could never accomplish this in a "do it yourself online" arrangement.
    BigJim55 likes this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:12 AM
    Thanks
    Old post... However my agent wrote our policy as a street legal utility vehicle. Comp. / Collision/ 25k med/ 500.00 deduct.
    For 38.00 per month.

Sent from my iPhone using my index finger
    2006 JD 3520
    300CX
    I-Match
    Frontier BB2272
    Frontier AF11E-6 Way Snow Blade
    Frontier SS1079 Poly Spreader
    ABI Classic 50 Manure Spreader
    Speeco Model 65 PHD
    Land Pride- Rotary Deck Mower
    Rimguard 610 lbs