Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Trying to decide between an 835r and an 865r

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks

Trying to decide between an 835r and an 865r

Well, they have finally invented the Gator I have been waiting for. Now I have to decide between gas and diesel. I would feel better having a Yanmar under the hood as opposed to the Chery engine. Not sure if the feeling is rational or not.
    I like diesel engines for numerous reasons, but I am concerned whether or not the diesel would be under powered. The slower top speed of the diesel doesn’t bother me much, since I will just be running around the area and farm, and 30 mph is plenty fast for that. I wonder if the diesel will pull as good, climb hills is good, and run the HVAC as good.
    I know the 865R is a new model, and there may not be anybody on the forum with one of those, but there should be a few 855’s there. What do you all think about their overall workability?
    Last edited by arlen; 04-14-2018 at 08:44 PM.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,153 Times in 2,521 Posts
    Other than top speed, I would *think* the diesel would be pretty good at all of those tasks. I too would be happy with the Yanmar.

Personally, I think youíve made your decision. You just need to test drive it and seal the deal.

Donít forget to post some pics to drive BigJim up a wall.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Your right, I want a diesel. I would have to have a reason NOT to go that route.
    Maybe I will wait till big Jim gets one, then I will aggressively question him on its merits
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,337 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Other than top speed, I would *think* the diesel would be pretty good at all of those tasks. I too would be happy with the Yanmar.

Personally, I think youíve made your decision. You just need to test drive it and seal the deal.

Donít forget to post some pics to drive BigJim up a wall.
    heck ya-post away-and bring on the thoughts.

if the diesel is or would run as good as my 2520 MCUT has.........then i would be happy to pay the $2,000 difference from gas.

i too don't care about the speed, as even with the window down, still gonna have the A/C on some. and we're just gonna be putzing around my back roads looking for wild animals. i kinda had my mind made up on the gas job-till now-u got me thinking again

and i have yet to drive either one? i just loveit to bits. jd hit a ball park homer for us bigger people of the world-yes-sir-ree. lot's of good room-a window that can be rolled up and down-jeez-just too many goodies to mention.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    heck ya-post away-and bring on the thoughts.

if the diesel is or would run as good as my 2520 MCUT has.........then i would be happy to pay the $2,000 difference from gas.

i too don't care about the speed, as even with the window down, still gonna have the A/C on some. and we're just gonna be putzing around my back roads looking for wild animals. i kinda had my mind made up on the gas job-till now-u got me thinking again

and i have yet to drive either one? i just loveit to bits. jd hit a ball park homer for us bigger people of the world-yes-sir-ree. lot's of good room-a window that can be rolled up and down-jeez-just too many goodies to mention.
    I started out thinking I would go gas too because of the top speed and cold starting, but then I started thinking of the fuel thing....I have 3 diesels already, and I like the simplicity of a diesel, and itís hard to say a bad thing about a Yanmar.
    And Iíll keep it inside with a place to plug in a block heater....heck I might make room for it in my heated shop!
    JD 320D Skid Loader

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    I started out thinking I would go gas too because of the top speed and cold starting, but then I started thinking of the fuel thing....I have 3 diesels already, and I like the simplicity of a diesel, and itís hard to say a bad thing about a Yanmar.
    And Iíll keep it inside with a place to plug in a block heater....heck I might make room for it in my heated shop!
    have u drove either of the models yet? my dealer had one of each a month ago--didn't want to jinx myself just yet. gotta wait till later this summer to purchase one-as some of my savings will be coming due then.

i've thought of going the 835M--for the cab room, and no A/C----there was one fella on here several months ago that said fellas down south was complaining of no power on the hills with the A/C on. he said mother deere told them to tell customer to turn the a/c off till they got to the top of the hill.
    so that's kinda why i was going the gas route-for the more HP-- i don't know if my dealer has even sold any yet?

back in November salesman claimed 3 or 4 guys was wanting to trade their 3 and 4 yr old cabbed gators in for a 2018 yr one-but i have yet to see any of them used gators show up. i figure the price maybe shoohed them away--
    jim

king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,989 Times in 2,162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    have u drove either of the models yet? my dealer had one of each a month ago--didn't want to jinx myself just yet. gotta wait till later this summer to purchase one-as some of my savings will be coming due then.

i've thought of going the 835M--for the cab room, and no A/C----there was one fella on here several months ago that said fellas down south was complaining of no power on the hills with the A/C on. he said mother deere told them to tell customer to turn the a/c off till they got to the top of the hill.
    so that's kinda why i was going the gas route-for the more HP-- i don't know if my dealer has even sold any yet?

back in November salesman claimed 3 or 4 guys was wanting to trade their 3 and 4 yr old cabbed gators in for a 2018 yr one-but i have yet to see any of them used gators show up. i figure the price maybe shoohed them away--
    I know nothing about these Gators. But...more horsepower in a gas engine vs a diesel -diesel is going to have more torque - period. I would think that torque would be a big factor in running the A/C while pulling a hill.

On my wish list are a Gator and a zero turn mower. Both will be diesel if I ever get either one.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

arlen†(04-15-2018)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    07-13-2019 @ 08:40 PM
    Thanks
    I currently own an 855d with the deluxe cab and have owned the kubota 1100 which had ac. Never felt underpowered with either machine compared to gas models. Only thing you give up is top speed. I personally like the low end pulling power of the diese for what I use the machines for.
    I'm also in market for the 865r but my only concern is the cab noise. I have not driven one yet so can't comment. However my 855d with the doors on the cab make it practically unusable due to the noise in the cab. Literally can't hold conversation so the doors were removed permanently. Hope this is better with new cab.
    If you get chance to test drive I would appreciate feedback on cab noise.
    jd.rasentrac likes this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Drcadams For This Useful Post:

arlen†(04-15-2018)

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drcadams View Post
    I currently own an 855d with the deluxe cab and have owned the kubota 1100 which had ac. Never felt underpowered with either machine compared to gas models. Only thing you give up is top speed. I personally like the low end pulling power of the diese for what I use the machines for.
    I'm also in market for the 865r but my only concern is the cab noise. I have not driven one yet so can't comment. However my 855d with the doors on the cab make it practically unusable due to the noise in the cab. Literally can't hold conversation so the doors were removed permanently. Hope this is better with new cab.
    If you get chance to test drive I would appreciate feedback on cab noise.
    what consists of this deluxe cab u have now?

do u have the doors that ur windows crank up and down-or slide back and forth?

i know just adding my canopy to the tractor made more noise for sure.

i'm pretty sure the 2018 models-R-has a interior padding-or i guess a sounding deading--cause i asked if i would be able to hear the AM/FM radio while riding it-claimed it was just like riding inside my pickup truck going down the road

here's a review of one on u-tube. this fella must own a dealer on the side as he has all kind of goodies
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOie5KEzg9s
    jd.rasentrac likes this.
    jim

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-12-2019 @ 10:40 PM
    Thanks
    I have driven both. The R cabs are very quiet. M's are not bad either.

On gas or diesel, the Yanmar is ok. If that is all you've ridden in or have been in a Kubota, you would be ecstatic. That said, the gas is light years more engaging and full of life. Power to spare, top speed if you need it, and just way stronger off the bottom. Resale will be better too I think (I know, the reverse of the usual). We sell basically zero diesels these days since the Cherry engine came to be, and they have been rock solid reliable.

To me, $2K buys a lot of gas. Save it and buy accessories.
    Gizmo2, North585, arlen and 2 others like this.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Displaced Hokie For This Useful Post:

arlen†(04-15-2018), BigJim55†(04-16-2018), lindsey97†(04-29-2018)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast