Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Thinking of getting something....SxS vs modified golf cart

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-17-2019 @ 09:45 AM
    Thanks

Thinking of getting something....SxS vs modified golf cart

Hello All!

This idea of mine won’t be happening for a couple years, but when my wife and I are finally able to move out to our property, I figure we “need” something to run around the property, and be able to haul some small things like gardening tools, shovels, water, dirt, branches etc.

Growing up, we had a regular gas golf cart on the farm... fun for a teenage boy, and worked ok trapping gophers. We never got a utility bed/box for it, but it was always a want.

Now, our current property is slightly hilly, with a low spot that is sometimes wet. The neighbor out there has some type of 2x4 Gator, which seems to go ok around our property when it is dry. I don’t know what model his is yet, but will know sometime in the future.

My other neighbor has a Harley Davidson 3 wheeled golf cart, and he seems to do chores just fine with it as well...odd machine though.

I had my sights set on a 6x4 Gator, but have learned that I probably don’t really want one of those. I would love 4x4, but I honestly don’t know if I really need it.

So, my question is, is a modified golf cart (bigger engine, posi rear end, bigger tires) with a box on it about the equivalent of a 2x4 Gator?

I figure whatever I end up with will be a project, as money isn’t growing on trees for us, so I am not brand loyal here, but do want the best bang for my dollar...which is why I am asking you all what you would do.
    Last edited by wingrider; 04-21-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    -1967 110 RF with 20 hp V-twin

-1959 Wizard garden tractor

- 1990 870 utility with 440 loader

- 1950 B

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,993 Times in 2,165 Posts
    I will be paying close attention here -

I have 6 acres - 1/2 mowed lawn and 1/2 woods with some trails. I have been thinking about a Gator or similar for a couple years now since I cant walk much anymore.

This is what I have learned - a 6x4 gator would be great but a bit overkill. Main thing to remember is there is no rear suspension. But with those big turf tires it wouldnt be too bad.

Any gas machine - I would use it a lot with very short trips like out to the barn. A gas engine wouldnt be best as it will never have a chance to warm up and get gas into the crankcase and not have time/temperature to burn off.

Diesel machine - this is what I really want as I already have lots of bulk storage. I really do not want to get back to hauling gas cans which I cant lift.

So then I come to electric. This really appeals to me as I am very sensitive to noise. If I take a ride in the woods I want it to be as silent as possible.

Which brings me to an electric golf cart (car?). I would need 4WD but think I could get away without it. In the winter it would only be used on my driveway and I could put a pair of chains on it. I have seen some carts online which had lift kits and aggressive off road tires which would all be perfect for me.

So I am pretty much settled on an electric golf cart with a bed. Another contender would be a Deere TE which is a 4x2 with a dump bed. I cant find any of these golf carts anywhere around me so when I can get some money together I will be looking at a used TE Gator. From what I have heard these things will go just about anywhere a 4WD will because of the weight of the batteries over the rear axle.

jd.rasentrac and Robnik like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

jd.rasentrac(04-22-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:11 PM
    Thanks
    Stan,

At our last acreage property we had both a golf cart and an electric Gator. The cart I bought new for the wife to her specifications with full rain enclosure and a rear seat that folded down into a pretty good deck/bed for carrying stuff -- this is a more heavy duty setup than the typical folding rear seat. The cart is a Club Car with all aluminum framing so it has the best battery utilization due to its base weight...but these are not cheap. New in 2006 with all the extras it was north of $5K and here are some pictures of it doing guest tour services during a champagne brunch. Side curtains are off, but the canopy is in place -- and i did not even have the wheel covers on it in these pictures yet. Our property is hilly and that was no issue for this cart.
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	cart tour 2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	596042 Click image for larger version.

Name:	cart tour - champagne brunch.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	596050

The electric Gator was one I bought used for $1200 with 1000 hours on the clock, so it needed a set of batteries and I replaced the tires and seats as well. The Gator is a real work vehicle with electric dump bed and I never had any traction issues on my gravel paths and driveways, some of which were a bit steep. It too had a windshield and a canopy (highly recommended in the wet Pacific Northwest...) and was a pleasure to use on the 2.4 acres when we owned it. I made a matching trailer from a re-purposed Gator bed and a small HF trailer frame. Here are some pictures:

Name:	Gator capacity times two.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	596058 Click image for larger version.

Name:	battery_bank.jpg
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	596066 Click image for larger version.

Name:	Gator chores.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	596074

The electric Gator has no fumes so keeping it in the attached garage and using firewood from its bed as needed was no issue...

Chuck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckv For This Useful Post:

jd.rasentrac(04-22-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Chuck, how far do you think you could go with the E-Gator? I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to one, but do hate pushing dead battery powered stuff around.
    Last edited by wingrider; 04-21-2018 at 04:38 PM.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, Robnik and 1 others like this.

- 1950 B

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,993 Times in 2,165 Posts
    Chuck - now I know where I've seen the pic of the TE and trailer!

One of those would be perfect for me. A lot of duties for it would be picking up sticks/limbs from the lawn area like I've been doing for days now. My tractor is really hard for me to get on and off so I just did it the last few days just walking. Also have a lot of stone I would like to harvest along the creek upstream a bit - a power dump bed would be awesome for that. Do all the TE's have the power dump bed?

I have never looked at the golf carts since there is no place around here that sells them. $5k sounds really reasonable for a new top-of-the-line one to me. I see some ads where they want that much for used ones.

But a Gator would suit me much better as I need it as primarily a work vehicle. Would also be used to fetch the mail every day plus help with my multiple trips to the barn. All my tools are in my shop which is about 100 yards away. It always works out that I have to make multiple trips when working on something in the house but after the first trip I can barely make it anymore.

I've pretty much got my heart set on a TE but they are impossible to find around here. I would likely have to buy it online and have it shipped. There is one I see which is about 200 miles to my south - this is pretty much average as far as price goes in my general area.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...deere-gator-te
    Robnik and Herminator like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:11 PM
    Thanks
    Wingrider,

I was never concerned about running the charrge down on my property and often went a few days without an overnight recharge. The vehicle weighs 1400 pounds without a windshield or canopy, so you WON'T push it far even on the level...

Stan, that $5K cost for the Club Car cart was in 2006...so I expect to find them about double that now (certainly the batteries are at least double the price that they were a decade ago...) And, it was not the most expensive model at the time, either... For the most part the "lifted" and otherwise modified carts you can find used are ones that I would steer clear of since they have been treated as toys and not tools.

I got a smokin' deal on my Electric Gator even though it was a 1999 model that I bought when it was about a decade old. I made money when I sold it when we moved from that acreage...

The one you linked to is not that outrageous a price for a 2010 year unit, but the 1900 hours might be a concern. Check out the steering, the wheel bearings and the brakes as that is about all that can get neglected in the way of periodic maintenance on these models...at that price you should insist on new tires and batteries.

Chuck

...and Stan -- all the TE models have the power lift bed as an option...in fact the video in this thread shows a manual lift bed with the support rod being used. The regular turf Gators that have electric lifts are 12 volt like the gas/diesel engine system charging voltage...but the Electric Gator has a 48 volt electric lift to match the electric drive system. Don't be lulled into thinking you can just get a used lift from another Gator unless it is the TE series...
    Last edited by Chuckv; 04-21-2018 at 06:24 PM.
    coaltrain, Robnik and Herminator like this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,126 Posts
    There is a place near me that deals in new and used golf carts. They seem to do a lot of all-terrain golf carts. The ones below are not theirs but are similar to the type they offer. Some are more plain looking but have knobby tires and high ground clearance.

Name:	al_terrain_cart.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	596194 Click image for larger version.

Name:	al_terrain_cart2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	596202
    BigJim55, coaltrain and Robnik like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:19 PM
    Thanks
    I started out years ago with a new 550 Mule: Click image for larger version.

Name:	HPIM1087.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	596450

After 14 years of use it was time to upgrade. Not wanting to pay the price for new, I found a 2007 used "TS" Gator on CL: Click image for larger version.

Name:	HPIM1211.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	596490

I've been very happy with it over the past five years! It didn't have the electric bed lift when we bought it, but it wasn't hard to add later.
    Lowell

1944 JD LA, 1953 JD 40S, 93-755 w/60" deck, '04-790 w/300 loader, 2000-F725, '07 "TS" Gator, 80-314 & numerous attachments!, 1980-2418 Power King, 1948 AC "G" & 1961 International Cub Lo Boy

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Lowell,

Did you notice any difference between the two machines that you have had? On paper they seem to be fairly close comparisons.
    Gizmo2, grnspot110 and BigJim55 like this.

- 1950 B

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Thanks

But you must be as fit as a fiddle to ride such a .... , an .... (no name, just horriified)
    Gizmo2, DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.
    LANZ D 1906 | John Deere LANZ 510 | John Deere 112 | John Deere 3120 | John Deere CR 125 | Gator XUV 550 | 18S Cart | Gldner AZK

Wolfgang Gustav, regards from beyond the pond!

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast