Thanked 2,993 Times in 2,165 Posts

First time in a side by side - Kubota RTV-X1120D

This is what I looked at yesterday - Kubota RTV-X1120D in camo -

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	59FBD3FE-8A18-45BA-AC64-24618EFCB192.png†
Views:	8†
Size:	481.7 KB†
ID:	604105

While Iíve had nothing but Deere equipment all my life, my hand is forced now to look elsewhere. My nearest dealer is now a 4 hour round trip.

We were in a city yesterday for an appointment so I ventured into a Kubota dealer. This place is primarily a heavy equipment dealer so they didnít have much as far as compact diesel tractors and zero turn mowers. As far as utility vehicles they had none of the small 500 series - only a few 1100 series.

So I got to try one out. My preference is for a diesel anyway although my budget says otherwise. It was very easy to get myself in and out which is a very important,thing for me. Then when I started it I was basically sold - the purr of that little diesel.

Took it for a quick slow spin around the lot. I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the diesel was and especially how quiet it was - very easy to carry on a conversation. And the transmission - I think they call it a variable hydrostatic - was great. Mostly impressive to me was when you let off the fuel it slowed down. Hill decent control at its finest.

In this video the guy from Messickís explains it very well:

Being I am not a serious buyer yet I only spent a couple minutes on it but did get a starting price from the salesman. I will say that I am throughly impressed with all aspects of the machine. It would be hard for me to settle for anything less now. And this dealer is only a 2.5 hour round trip - much closer than Deere in case of issues.

Oh - and for Big Jim - they had a cabbed version on the lot with HVAC just like in the video.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    This is what I looked at yesterday - Kubota RTV-X1120D in camo -

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	59FBD3FE-8A18-45BA-AC64-24618EFCB192.png†
Views:	8†
Size:	481.7 KB†
ID:	604105

While Iíve had nothing but Deere equipment all my life, my hand is forced now to look elsewhere. My nearest dealer is now a 4 hour round trip.

We were in a city yesterday for an appointment so I ventured into a Kubota dealer. This place is primarily a heavy equipment dealer so they didnít have much as far as compact diesel tractors and zero turn mowers. As far as utility vehicles they had none of the small 500 series - only a few 1100 series.

So I got to try one out. My preference is for a diesel anyway although my budget says otherwise. It was very easy to get myself in and out which is a very important,thing for me. Then when I started it I was basically sold - the purr of that little diesel.

Took it for a quick slow spin around the lot. I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the diesel was and especially how quiet it was - very easy to carry on a conversation. And the transmission - I think they call it a variable hydrostatic - was great. Mostly impressive to me was when you let off the fuel it slowed down. Hill decent control at its finest.

In this video the guy from Messickís explains it very well:

Being I am not a serious buyer yet I only spent a couple minutes on it but did get a starting price from the salesman. I will say that I am throughly impressed with all aspects of the machine. It would be hard for me to settle for anything less now. And this dealer is only a 2.5 hour round trip - much closer than Deere in case of issues.

Oh - and for Big Jim - they had a cabbed version on the lot with HVAC just like in the video.
    Think you can put a 7 Iron mower deck under it and slap some 997 decals on it?!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:04 PM
    Thanks
    Nice looking machine there CT! Could you have a super loud exhaust switch put on it to interrupt the unwanted loud fireside chat noise you get to hear?

Quote Originally Posted by goodworkstractors View Post
    Think you can put a 7 Iron mower deck under it and slap some 997 decals on it?!
    I bet OC could do it!

And for the super deluxe version i bet he would put a rare earth magnetic bar on the front of the deck to pick up any odd bits of metal laying in the yard before they hit the blades......just odd bits of metal.....nothing specific in mind here.......

332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,337 Times in 1,045 Posts
    glad u liked it -coal train---and that u found it was easy to get in and out. but that wasn't the same for me. and yeah the pimped out one i looked at is way.....................cheaper than the newer deere model i fell in love with for sure. the dealer i stopped at and tried getting in and out of-told me he would bring one here for me to try out for one week---of course he was figuring i wouldn't send it back-oh.

i found a jd one yesterday that just came off a rental lease deal with only like 50 hrs on it. price is real good. called today. i fell asleep finally-so maybe he will call tomorrow morning. no cab-in fact no goodies at all except power dump-but it's a start. wouldn't bother with it-except its so new and has warranty with it.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    glad u liked it -coal train---and that u found it was easy to get in and out. but that wasn't the same for me. and yeah the pimped out one i looked at is way.....................cheaper than the newer deere model i fell in love with for sure. the dealer i stopped at and tried getting in and out of-told me he would bring one here for me to try out for one week---of course he was figuring i wouldn't send it back-oh.

i found a jd one yesterday that just came off a rental lease deal with only like 50 hrs on it. price is real good. called today. i fell asleep finally-so maybe he will call tomorrow morning. no cab-in fact no goodies at all except power dump-but it's a start. wouldn't bother with it-except its so new and has warranty with it.
    The one I rode in actually didnít have doors on it - not even the stock half doors like in the pic. Maybe that is why it seemed easy to get in and out.

I think what impressed me the most being my first time was the hydro transmission - it acted a lot like our tractors in a way. Maybe the familiarity of the way it felt did something for me. Of course I will try a Deere and some other models before I would buy - I am 8-12 months out before it is even possible but figure itís time to start looking around when I get a chance. Itís not like I have a bunch of dealers near by....

And also depends on Mrs. Cís outsome with upcoming surgery(s) - she really needs to start driving again because she really needs to start spending some time with her parents who will be in their 80ís soon. So a new car might be in order which of course will take precedence over a buggy like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Thanks
    I like the looks of it. I would not need the fancy wheels, camo, or 1/2 doors. The only thing I see lacking is a roof.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    I like the looks of it. I would not need the fancy wheels, camo, or 1/2 doors. The only thing I see lacking is a roof.
    The 1/2 doors are standard on that model but would probably take them off for easier ingress.

After watching Gizmoís Gator trials I had the guy quote it with a roof and windshield.

I though about the fancy wheels. The steel wheels on my tractor are showing use now and really could use repainting so I would opt for the aluminum wheels. You wouldnít think of my area as a humid environment but it is because of the many tall trees. The canopy traps the moisture.

And the Camo - being I am so used to green I just donít know if I could look at orange every day. The camo is only a $600 option.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Levi and 4 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 2,824 Posts
    The 1/2 doors are standard on that model but would probably take them off for easier ingress.

After watching Gizmoís Gator trials I had the guy quote it with a roof and windshield.

I though about the fancy wheels. The steel wheels on my tractor are showing use now and really could use repainting so I would opt for the aluminum wheels. You wouldnít think of my area as a humid environment but it is because of the many tall trees. The canopy traps the moisture.

And the Camo - being I am so used to green I just donít know if I could look at orange every day. The camo is only a $600 option.
    My JD dealer told me the aluminum wheels are stronger than the steel wheels, on the Deere models.
    ColonyPark, PaDave, Levi and 5 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Thanks

I agree 100% on the orange! I would definitely have to have camo if I opted for a Kubota.
    I think the Kubota diesel is as good as it gets. The hydro tranny would be nice in allot of ways, one being great hill descent control.
    I can't really think of any disadvantages with hydro.

Like you mentioned, I too was struck by how easy the SxS's are to get in and out of. That's why I don't pay too much attention to the "why don't you just get a jeep" comments...Jeeps aren't exactly the easiest vehicle to enter and exit if you need to keep jumping out to pick up sticks in the yard. Plus no power dump box.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, PaDave and 6 others like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

12. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 2,824 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    I agree 100% on the orange! I would definitely have to have camo if I opted for a Kubota.
    I think the Kubota diesel is as good as it gets. The hydro tranny would be nice in allot of ways, one being great hill descent control.
    I can't really think of any disadvantages with hydro.

Like you mentioned, I too was struck by how easy the SxS's are to get in and out of. That's why I don't pay too much attention to the "why don't you just get a jeep" comments...Jeeps aren't exactly the easiest vehicle to enter and exit if you need to keep jumping out to pick up sticks in the yard. Plus no power dump box.
    IMO the Gator 625i or 825i was/is really tight to get in and out of.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast