Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Bought a.... Comparing two lower priced side by sides

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 09:11 PM
    Thanks

Bought a.... Comparing two lower priced side by sides

As I've posted in recent months, I've been looking to add a second side by side. Our first side by side, a Kawasaki Mule 610 4x4 XC-SE was purchased for use at our 13 acre cabin in the Ozark's, with limited hunting use on our 40 acre ranch which is leased out for cattle grazing. With the move last summer to a 20 acre property in NW Missouri, the Mule moved from the Ozark's to our new place. It was not long before we realized how much we depended on the UTV for wood hauling, checking and cleaning the property and relaxing rides on the country roads. So, a search for a second SXS was in order.

Our needs include:
    A unit that will easily fit in the back of our full size pickup.
    A good utility box that tilts easily
    A price point under $10K
    A machine that has a good reputation for quality
    A machine that will allow the addition of a jump seat (hey, we've got grandkids...)
    4 wheel drive
    Storage area for ax, small chain saw, etc...
    Roof

Our needs DID NOT include:
    Having to go over 25 MPH
    Sound systems, cab, heater or (good grief...) A/C
    Super suspension (a must for faster machines)
    Diesel
    Quad cab (negated ability to fit into truck)

My first thought was the John Deere mid-size models, but we decided to do some shopping. Thus, we looked at the Polaris Ranger 500, John Deere 560E and Kawasaki SX. I immediately discounted the "off brands" sold at the farm stores and Walmart. I'm sure some of them are great machines, but not what I am looking for.

For the first time, I included my wife in the decision process, and her comments influenced the process for than I thought. To her, the Polaris Ranger 500 looked "cheap," and more like a toy. I liked the specs (suspension travel, engine), but did agree it looked cheap compared to the JD or Kawasaki. Price, with discounts, was the lowest, but only by $200.

The 560E looked nice, but had "too much plastic" according to the budget committee. The price, with required accessories, brought it right to the budget limit. The bed was smaller than the Kawasaki. The two dealers I talked to didn't want to discount much, even when I showed them ads from other dealers selling them for $1000 less. Of course, cost really didn't matter, as the budget committee had already spoken.

The Kawasaki SX, which is a facelift of the older 610 series, the was last one we looked at. The XC-SE edition provided LED lighting, roof, nice paint, nice wheels and larger tires that give greater ground clearance and better ride. It also was at a great price, $8200 "out the door." This is the unit we ordered. It will be a week or two before it arrives (they are built near Omaha, Neb).

I would have been happy with any of the brands we looked out, but note the following:
    There is very little plastic on the Kawasaki SX. Lots of plastic on the John Deere and Polaris. Plastic is not a bad thing, but I like the "built like a Mule" feel of the Kawasaki.
    The factory 3 year warranty beats the one year warranty offered by the others.

As for performance, if one wants to go 30 mph or more, the Polaris is the answer in the new "under 10K" category. For utility and fun, the John Deere would provide the best balance, wth a top speed of 28 mph. For utility alone the Mule is hard to beat, and has a reputation that backs up this claim. Its top speed is 25, which makes it a "no go" for many users.

I'll post some pictures when it arrives.
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 356 For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (06-08-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 AM
    Thanks

Bought a.... Comparing two lower priced side by sides

After reading your post, it sounds like you and your wife did some solid research.

Best of luck !! Be sure to post some photos of the Kawi in the back of your truck.
    Last edited by bhill; 06-07-2018 at 08:40 AM.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, Levi and 4 others like this.
    2006 JD 3520
    300CX
    I-Match
    Frontier BB2272
    Frontier AF11E-6 Way Snow Blade
    Frontier SS1079 Poly Spreader
    ABI Classic 50 Manure Spreader
    Speeco Model 65 PHD
    Land Pride- Rotary Deck Mower
    Rimguard 610 lbs
    Ballast Box 510 lbs
    Artillan Forks
    Kens Bolt On Hooks.
    2012 JD Gator 825i
    Deluxe Cab with heat

5. Top | #3
    Big
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Thanks
    May want to check out Honda Pioneer's. I have a 2014 700. Has 2k miles on it and only routine oil changes. Very nice machine.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, rtgt and 5 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Thanks
    Did you look at Yamaha? I have a rhino 660, which I highly recommend. They are very simple, with a carbureted engine, so you can fix them easily.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, rtgt and 5 others like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 1,165 Posts
    My wife and I have a '12 610 XC, great machine for what you are looking for, I think you'll be happy and made a good decision. Congrats
    Gizmo2, grnspot110, rtgt and 4 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:26 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,317 Posts
    Congratulations on your new purchase. I am sure you are going to enjoy it. Any of the final 3 machines would have been great choices and it sounds like you got a good deal on a high quality unit.

Having your wife's perspective on a fairly large purchase is the respectful thing to do, in my opinion. Especially if she is going to be using the item or dealing with it. I always give my wife the chance to be involved and she can decide whether or not she wants to be involved. If it's something she isn't interested in, she usually defers.

It's always interesting to get Mrs. Bear's opinion on something which she really isn't "into". Her judgement is rock solid and the way she sees things is always insightful. While we almost always agree, the things we see are often very, very different.

Also, my wife tends to be really good at "challenging" the sales person. She has a very high respect for great salespeople who really are very good at what they do (after all, she married one.....). But if the sales person is poor at explaining things, or just glosses over them, Oh boy, are they in for a time.

We had a slick sales guy at our house giving us a quote on two new furnaces and two new 5 ton central air units. We had already done our research so we knew what these units really cost. The sales guy was pushing towards a particular one and kept throwing out "code lingo" like "The 577 is much better than the 466." So, she would ask him "What's the difference between them?" And his reply was at first a real flippant " $1,200".

So she said "I can see the price difference, but specifically How is a 577 better than a 466, is it faster, slower, taller, shorter, what's the difference"? Which I thought seemed like a fair question.

His reply "Well, it's just better...."

She replied "Better HOW?"

Oh boy....there is a storm brewing and I am getting a front row seat......

She asked him 3 more times and he failed to answer. She stood up and said "Thank you for your time but since you can't or won't answer my questions, we are done." He looked at me like "seriously?" I looked at him and said "You would do your career a huge favor if you listened much better and talked far less and actually answer the questions when someone asks you." He pleaded for another chance, but then I pointed out he had already wasted the 3 chances she gave him when she kept asking for clarity.

So, the salesman leaves and as if he hadn't already blown his opportunity, he did EXACTLY the wrong thing......He had his daddy, who owns the business, call ME, asking ME, to give Jr. another chance.......

If Dad would have been smart, he would have called my wife and apologized for Jr's arrogance and immaturity. Instead, he expected me to over ride her actions. I asked the guy on the phone, the father, "Are you married?" He replied "Well, I am married, it's my 3rd and we have been married now for 4 years, why?" I asked him if he would over ride his wife's actions and decision just because someone called him begging him to......He said "Well, I would certainly consider it if she were making a huge mistake."

So I asked the guy, "Why didn't you call my wife instead of me?" His reply "Because women can be unreasonable to deal with."........

Good luck with the 3rd marriage pal, I bet it won't be your last........

He did not get the sale that day......and my wife still mentions it from time to time how poor the sales guy was and how much of a misogynistic pig his dad is. She also said the son is just like the dad. She is 100% right.......
    Gizmo2, North585, arlen and 10 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Thanks
    SB,
    You could not be more right. When we redid our house 20 years ago the contractor just would not listen to my wife. I am pretty particular about my shop and what is in it but the house is much more of a concern to her than me. He got closer to figuring it out when one of the progress payments was due. I told him she’s the one that’s going to write the check out so you need to listen to her. He never really understood but she did get what she wanted.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, Levi and 4 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    May want to check out Honda Pioneer's. I have a 2014 700. Has 2k miles on it and only routine oil changes. Very nice machine.
    I don't think a Honda would come in below budget of $10K
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

12. Top | #9
    Big
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    I don't think a Honda would come in below budget of $10K
    I don't know how much there going for now, but mine was close to 10k.
    Gizmo2, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    -2017 2032R, Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,510 Posts
    Love our 2015 Honda Pioneer 700 close to 1400 miles not one issue with the automatic Transmission or the machine. In a SXS will never own another with CVT transmission.

Yea new 18 is priced at 10599 might be able to get the dealer to come down under $10,000.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast