• 10 Post By arlen

Thread: Got a Donkey...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-01-2019 @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks

Got a Donkey...

Glad I noticed this part of the forum

Anyways, about 2 months ago, I broke down & bought a Kawasaki side by side. I was coming from a Kawasaki Prairie that I had bought new in 2008. It was a good machine, & served me well for 10yrs. My boys loved it, & we certainly had some fun on it.

These days, my boys are all gone. Youngest left for boot a year ago. We're fortunate that two are stationed in NC, & see them fairly regular while my youngest is in Cali. Bottom line, empty nesters now. My other half tolerated the standard 4 wheeler but, she sure didn't love it. She's a much bigger fan of the 1025

I'd been thinking about a side by side for some time. Really wanted one of those Gators with the diesel engine. Well, at least until I saw the price. I mean, I still want/wanted one, just couldn't my wallet to agree. Being as I had such good luck with my Kawasaki, I went & looked at em. I was immediately sold on the Mule. Seems perfect for our needs, & semi friendly to the back pocket, comparatively speaking. So, after selling my Prairie, I picked up this ....

Very happy with it so far. Picked it up beginning of May, & have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. It's no speed demon but, sure is useful. Makes way more sense for us, & pretty handy for maintaining, & getting to all of our property. I live on about 30 acres which is mostly wooded. I am a hunter, & have several hunting areas, a couple of em, I'm currently developing with my 1025.

Bonus is, my wife LOVES it..! She routinely is wanting to "tour" the property now. Granted, makes tending to the orchard, garden, etc... much easier but, I find her joy riding too.

Only thing I've added so far is, the heavy canvas seat cover. Wouldn't ya know... it came in camo too...lol.

One question I've got for those with similar units..... I'm looking for good ideas for clamps, holders, etc. I plan on using the Mule for bow season this year, & possibly rifle season. Looking forward to putting bambi in the back vs. trying to bungee to standard rack.

I'm specifically looking for something that can secure/hold a bow safely, & or something to hold/secure a rifle or two. Other items like lawn maintenance, chainsaw, etc.. would be a bonus. I know plenty have gotten pretty handy with their tractors, & carry all's (planning on doing a custom carry all for the 1025 soon). Was hoping I could tap into the genius minds of the forum, & come up with some ideas, & or solutions that work for me.

Anyways.... thought I'd share my new toy, & look forward to sharing experiences, & or ideas with some of y'all.
    2016 ~ 1025R TLB

JD 647 Tiller / Frontier Box Blade / Frontier 5' Scraper Blade / JD 54" Snow Plow / Heavy Hitch / Ken's BOH / Rebuilt Brinly Plow / BXpanded BH Ripper / JD 8" BH Bucket/ Titan 42" Pallet Forks / Frontier 5' Landscape Rake

2018 Kawasaki Mule SX 4X4 XC Camo

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 09:11 PM
    Thanks
    First, congratulations on the new Mule, and thanks for posting some great photos of your Mule and your property. I have two Mulies (a 2016 and a 2018), and am happy with both--although the one has just 2 hours on it so far!

In regards to your question, I would NOT recommend the Koplin UTV Overhead Gun Carrier (or any overhead carrier). I have this in my 2016 Mule, and it reduces head clearance too much. I will continue to use it, since it cost $$, but for the new Mule I am looking to get the KQR Mount Koplin Gun Boot IV which is an "official" Kawasaki accessory.

For Bow Hunting, I use the Koplin XL UTV Mount. I have two and they work great for my Mathews bow. I am ordering two more for the new Mule.

I highly recommend the factory top...it's not very expensive and provides shade and shelter when needed. Bolts on and off easily.

I noticed you don't have a tailer hitch. Consider the Quadboss Trailer Hitch Item# 997396 from Partsgiant.com. It's under $40 and very well made. I added a $15 2" receiver with hooks from Harbor Freight for added versatility.

If you have "grandkid" duty coming up, a jump seat is amazing. Two pins and it slides out. Comes with safety belts so the young ones don't fall out.
    Last edited by 356; 07-02-2018 at 07:55 PM.
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 356 For This Useful Post:

arlen†(07-03-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 356 View Post
    First, congratulations on the new Mule, and thanks for posting some great photos of your Mule and your property. I have two Mulies (a 2016 and a 2018), and am happy with both--although the one has just 2 hours on it so far!

In regards to your question, I would NOT recommend the Koplin UTV Overhead Gun Carrier (or any overhead carrier). I have this in my 2016 Mule, and it reduces head clearance too much. I will continue to use it, since it cost $$, but for the new Mule I am looking to get the KQR Mount Koplin Gun Boot IV which is an "official" Kawasaki accessory.

For Bow Hunting, I use the Koplin XL UTV Mount. I have two and they work great for my Mathews bow. I am ordering two more for the new Mule.

I highly recommend the factory top...it's not very expensive and provides shade and shelter when needed. Bolts on and off easily.

I noticed you don't have a tailer hitch. Consider the Quadboss Trailer Hitch Item# 997396 from Partsgiant.com. It's under $40 and very well made. I added a $15 2" receiver with hooks from Harbor Freight for added versatility.

If you have "grandkid" duty coming up, a jump seat is amazing. Two pins and it slides out. Comes with safety belts so the young ones don't fall out.
    Thanks..! I really dig it.

I have been looking at the Rhino grips. Nice to hear they are working for another bow hunter. I shoot a G2 Quest Primal, that I absolutely love. I bought it in 2012, & have taken my fair share with it. Bow's have come a long ways since my late 80's model Bear, with aluminum arrows...lol. My current set up, should be my last. I'd be really bummed to damage it in transport.

I like that rifle set up too. Little pricey but definitely looks, secure.

I've also considered adding another set of head lights. Looks like should be a straight forward install....
    BigJim55 and 356 like this.
    2016 ~ 1025R TLB

JD 647 Tiller / Frontier Box Blade / Frontier 5' Scraper Blade / JD 54" Snow Plow / Heavy Hitch / Ken's BOH / Rebuilt Brinly Plow / BXpanded BH Ripper / JD 8" BH Bucket/ Titan 42" Pallet Forks / Frontier 5' Landscape Rake

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yo...! That is an awesome add on..! I like it. Reasonably priced too.

I've taken my youngest for a ride already but, she rode on her Daddy's lap. This fall, I'll have three more here for a couple weeks, & they have already notified Papa, that they want to go for a ride in the woods This looks like a perfect fit. Think I'll be picking this up, thanks for the heads up..!
    DRobinson, BigJim55 and 356 like this.
    2016 ~ 1025R TLB

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 09:11 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper21 View Post

I've also considered adding another set of head lights. Looks like should be a straight forward install....
    The LEDs on my new Mule are impressive, so I will not be adding additional lights on this one. Thatís one lighting option, but at $399, a pricy one. On the Ď16, I installed a light bar. Itís perfect for coming home after a late hunt. Cost was around $50, and easy to install. You will need to remove the floorboards. For the bed I keep a magnetic LED light in the glovebox. Itís perfect for loading deer at night and attaches to the rear cargo rails

You may also want a rear view mirror. Itís cheap (under $15 on Amazon) and very handy when backing up or on roads that might have traffic. Note: I have side views on the Ď16 and a rear view on the Ď18. Go with the rear view. The side views get knocked around when in the woods.
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 07-03-2018 at 04:02 PM.
    arlen, BigJim55 and Viper21 like this.
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Thanks

Donkey

I have 2 donkeys, and I really like them. This one was dyno’d at just over 1/2 hp but has lots of low end torque, with a pretty flat curve.
    I have to admit, yours looks better.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arlen's Donkey.jpg
    Last edited by dieselshadow; 07-03-2018 at 05:05 PM. Reason: rotated image
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks

I have the factory top. It's in the 1st pic I shared, leaning up against the wall, in the back. Just haven't installed it yet. We've liked the "open" feel so far. I'm sure as the summer fades, that'll change, & it'll get installed.

I went to partsgiant, & couldn't find the part number you listed. Is it this one...?

Have a pic of your hitch set up ..? I'd like to see yours, if you don't mind.
    2016 ~ 1025R TLB

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements