question about buying out of state jd gator?
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree713Likes

Thread: question about buying out of state jd gator?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 1,046 Posts

question about buying out of state jd gator?

i found a jd dealer who will sell me a gator in Ohio $1,500 cheaper than my dealer will-well in fact $2,000 less.

the owner of my dealership will only budge $500--is it worth the savings of the $1,500 to buy or not.

why am i asking this-well...........because of if i need any warranty work done?

owner told me maybe little things he could get covered..........if bought there. i know this has been discussed on here before-but i need to hear it from u fellas. my head is about tto explode of which way to go here.

i found a left over 2017 825I in WVA for a good price of $14,500-add my doors,heater, and some goodies to it-cause of the cheap interest of.09% thru JD-and i'm at $21,500---so for $3,000 more i can get my Cadillac(835R) in Ohio---or buy here at home at $26,000 WHICH MY DEALER DROPPED DOWN $500

so fellas tell me if i should buy out of state and out of dealership or pay the extra $1,500 here? thanks
    Last edited by BigJim55; 08-17-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-04-2019 @ 12:11 PM
    Thanks
    Big Jim,

I would buy that gator!

Your local dealer should have no issues servicing your new gator. However if they do, you may just have to go somewhere else.

A friend of mine bought one in Illinois, and had Browns do warranty / recall work on it. They did a good job on an axle repair/ recall for him.

R. Brown Supply Co. Inc.: Sales

They shouldn’t be too far from you.
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.
    4044R - H180 - KBOGH - Pallet Forks - 84 Front Blade - I- Match - Fit Rite Top Link - Woods PRD 8400 - Landscape Rake

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JD322 For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (08-17-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:26 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,317 Posts
    In theory, any Deere dealer should be able to perform warranty work. Personally, I always try to buy from the dealer I expect to service the item. To me, its a matter of basic business fairness. I always try to treat others as I would want them to treat me. I want the dealer to be there for me when I need them and since I rewarded the dealer with my business, I expect them to work with me.

From Big Jim's Original Post
    i found a left over 2017 825I in WVA for a good price of $14,500-add my doors,heater, and some goodies to it-cause of the cheap interest of.09% thru JD-and i'm at $21,500---so for $3,000 more i can get my Cadillac(835R) in Ohio---or buy here at home at $26,000 WHICH MY DEALER DROPPED DOWN $500

so fellas tell me if i should buy out of state and out of dealership or pay the extra $1,500 here? thanks

I read this 5 times, let me see if I have got this......

A 2017 gas powered unit in WVA is $14,500 and you are adding $7,000 in "goodies" to get it to $21,500 (that's a lot of goodies)

or

A "Cadillac" 835R in Ohio for $24,500

or

$26,000 at home which the dealer dropped $500 (so is it $26,000 after the $500 drop or is it $25,500 after the drop)

One's Gas, the others are Diesel

One has your doors and other goodies added on, the other two sound like they have the Factory cab and heat and air on the loaded ones,.

You are going to drive yourself NUTS over this.......

If you can get the same Deere financing on all units, then the diesel with the factory cab units are by far the better deal in my opinion. Local or out of state comes down to which unit you like and any costs to get it home, etc.

$1,500 spread into payments is likely a difference on the monthly payments of $25 or less in difference between the two. $2,000 difference would be approximately $38 per month diff in payments.

All I do know, Big Jim is that the amount of time you have spent looking and shopping and searching, if you were paid $1 per hour for all the time you put into your Gator purchase, the time would likely cover the cost to purchase it.....
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 08-17-2018 at 07:51 PM. Reason: changed comments

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:43 PM
    Thanks
    BigJimness -

My only experience with a JD dealer in Ohio was for my used 4720. They would not budge much on the price, did not fully check/fill all fluids as promised, and never provided the service history, also as promised

Caveat Emptor,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    i found a jd dealer who will sell me a gator in Ohio $1,500 cheaper than my dealer will-well in fact $2,000 less.

the owner of my dealership will only budge $1,500--is it worth the savings of the $1,500 to buy or not.

why am i asking this-well...........because of if i need any warranty work done?

owner told me maybe little things he could get covered..........if bought there. i know this has been discussed on here before-but i need to hear it from u fellas. my head is about tto explode of which way to go here.

etcallhome and DRobinson like this.
    Best Regards,

Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft Finishing Mower
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    4X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JD322 View Post
    Big Jim,

I would buy that gator!

Your local dealer should have no issues servicing your new gator. However if they do, you may just have to go somewhere else.

A friend of mine bought one in Illinois, and had Browns do warranty / recall work on it. They did a good job on an axle repair/ recall for him.

R. Brown Supply Co. Inc.: Sales

They shouldn’t be too far from you.
    thanks a lot for the info. my only problem i'm having is.....if say a part is iffie on a warranty item. but jeepers to save another $1,500 is a lot. now i would have my gas for both ways( roughly $140 out and back) that is my only hold back for me.
    and yes the owner of west central who i have talked with many times over the yrs., already told me he would service it. but it would be last in line-i said fine with me as long as ur fair about being last in line. twice now over the yrs i have sat last in line for 90 days or so. all while the fellas who was buying new equipment was placed ahead of me. i had no problems about that.

heck several yrs ago i got kicked off the service list because of curtis couldn't deliver their cabs on time that fall. the owner sent me a check for a $100, after our little chat in his office.

now he claimed he was only making a 8% profit on these machines to begin with-i said just spilt that difference with me-he only gave in to $500 for me. i will have to think about this some. thanks a lot. p.s. browns is only a little over an hr away from me-no farther than my dealer is.
    etcallhome and Herminator like this.
    jim

king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    It will be a brand new machine with warranty. Any legitimate Deere dealer should be required to provide warranty repairs.
    I would purchase the Ohio machine and do some checking around your local Deere dealers to try and determine which has the most competent repair facility and use them if needed.
    I actually saved about the same dollars buying my little tractor from a neighboring state as my local dealers would not negotiate.

Where ya been big guy, we have missed you lately!
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    In theory, any Deere dealer should be able to perform warranty work. Personally, I always try to buy from the dealer I expect to service the item. To me, its a matter of basic business fairness. I always try to treat others as I would want them to treat me. I want the dealer to be there for me when I need them and since I rewarded the dealer with my business, I expect them to work with me.

From Big Jim's Original Post

I read this 5 times, let me see if I have got this......

A 2017 gas powered unit in WVA is $14,500 and you are adding $7,000 in "goodies" to get it to $21,500 (that's a lot of goodies)

or

A "Cadillac" 835R in Ohio for $24,500

or

$26,000 at home which the dealer dropped $500 (so is it $26,000 after the $500 drop or is it $25,500 after the drop)

One's Gas, the others are Diesel

One has your doors and other goodies added on, the other two sound like they have the Factory cab and heat and air on the loaded ones,.

You are going to drive yourself NUTS over this.......

If you can get the same Deere financing on all units, then the diesel with the factory cab units are by far the better deal in my opinion. Local or out of state comes down to which unit you like and any costs to get it home, etc.

$1,500 spread into payments is likely a difference on the monthly payments of $25 or less in difference between the two. $2,000 difference would be approximately $38 per month diff in payments.

All I do know, Big Jim is that the amount of time you have spent looking and shopping and searching, if you were paid $1 per hour for all the time you put into your Gator purchase, the time would likely cover the cost to purchase it.....
    sulley bear my wife is about crazy with my changing my mind over this. way worse than 30 some yrs ago-picking the shingles for on our roof back then. we ended up back at the first place we stopped at

all gators are gas machines--the one in WVA includes the sales tax with that price-but yes i added some goodies due to the cheaper interest rate.

the 2 835R's is one in ohio for $24,500-no tax yet on that price

my dealer wants $26,000 no tax yet?? i agree on helping my local dealer-ok. but why can that same gator be sold for $1,500 cheaper. thanks for responding -oh. wife says i have till next friday to make my mind up fully
    jim

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Jeff B;3069786]It will be a brand new machine with warranty. Any legitimate Deere dealer should be required to provide warranty repairs.
    I would purchase the Ohio machine and do some checking around your local Deere dealers to try and determine which has the most competent repair facility and use them if needed.
    I actually saved about the same dollars buying my little tractor from a neighboring state as my local dealers would not negotiate.

Where ya been big guy, we have missed you lately![/QU-been sick some due to my darn blood sugars being up to 500 and tad bit higher. got them back down to under 300 last night again. darn sugar pills they gave me this spring-gave me the back yard trots every day-every day--unless i took my pain meds due to all the rain we have had lately. and going back and forth between a used machine or new. i was always taught a new broom sweeps the floor cleaner than an old broom. so a new machine will put me 10 grand deeper in the whole-but i have never really had good luck buying used-bring it home and spend a good bit to make it good then. i guess i'm leaning towards the new one-just which darn one.

i actually called another dealership in their network to see if he would give me a better price today. and they turned around and called the place i always deal withand then they called me at home and said my salesman would be back at work next week-so then when i called them back to talk to that salesman-he put on to the owner so we could talk. i wanted them to split the $2,000--and i said i will buy urs here-in my back door--took over 30 minutes to even get him down #500 bucks.

now i could of had the one where i took Charley Boys pic in -back in early spring-but it's got over 100 hrs on it now-just going to the fairs and stuff. no way i want one like-maybe 10 or so-but not 100-- not for the amount of money i'm spending.
    etcallhome, Jeff B and Herminator like this.
    jim

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,510 Posts
    Big Jim , Have you tried Manor Home Center in Oakland, Md..

Talk to Kristie tell her what you want and where the machine sets. Dealers trade machines all the time.

301-334-2109
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to etcallhome For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (08-17-2018)

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 948 Posts
    I read your first post several times Jim. At first I thought the Ohio one was $2,000 cheaper, but then your nearby dealer came down $1,500. In my math that’s only $500 difference. But upon further reading I think that I’m mistaken, because a $500 difference would be a no brainer. I am thinking now you have a $1,500 difference, period.

So, first I would see if your dealer can budge another $750, split the difference and meet you in the middle. On a machine of that price, it doesn’t seem unreasonable. If they can’t do that, then I would buy the one in Ohio. Oh and either way, I would make sure you buy your Cadillac, forget a different model with all the add ons. Even though we’ve never met, I feel I know you and I don’t think you’ll be happy with anything but your 835R.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast