• 1 Post By J3 Driver
  • 1 Post By SouthLake

Thread: new motor for a ts gator

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-09-2019 @ 06:06 PM
    Thanks

new motor for a ts gator

Anyone know what a motor for a ts gator costs? and would a TX motor fit a TS? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kr70 View Post
    Anyone know what a motor for a ts gator costs? and would a TX motor fit a TS? thanks
    Maybe your dealer will know...
    blue87fj60 likes this.
    LANZ D 1906 | John Deere LANZ 510 | John Deere 112 | John Deere 3120 | John Deere CR 125 | Gator XUV 550 | 18S Cart | Güldner AZK

Wolfgang Gustav, regards from beyond the pond!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:41 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...r-TS-Category/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    blue87fj60 likes this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    01-09-2019 @ 06:06 PM
    Thanks
    dealer called today. Short block is $1900. engine is listed as obsolete. 2003 ts. aftermarket list in above post won't guarantee fit with out some changes. pretty much SOL.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:43 PM
    Thanks

if the TS engine is anything like the FE290D in the 4x2 4x6 you have plenty of options for rebuild.
    my 2000 4x2 has about 1800 hours on it and I did some preemptive homework on where I will take it when it finally starts eating oil or dies one day...

Below is my research based on the FE290D....

Small Engine warehouse sells a B&S 1450 Series OHV, kit with the proper taper shaft to accept our old clutches. I think this kit ends up being around $700+- I believe it comes with wiring, starter and charging system. Having put new engines in cars before, there is always some level of fabbing, modding, and adjustments when doing stuff like this. I would expect light use of a welder at some point, possibly some changes to belt length, exhaust ect? I've never seen any posts on the matter so im speculating.
    Pluses: all new everything. Negatives: unknown fabrication and modification.

Another option I discovered was Precision Engineering STL in Missouri. They have a website, as well as ebay store and clearly a ton of experience with these little motors. You ship them your engine and they rebuild the entire thing. Top to bottom and it gets turned around in a week or so. Shipping 80 pounds via ground shipping 2 ways prob isnt cheap I have not priced that out. They replace piston, rings, cylinder bore is straightened and re-bored if needed. Pull the connecting rod and crankshaft, measure and if to specifications reuse them. If they are out of specification, they get replaced or re-machined into specs. Both counterbalance connecting rod bearings are replaced. Re-grind or replace any valves as needed. Charging system flywheel and under-flywheel coil are to be remove before sending the core, so you end up reusing 20 year old parts on your rebuilt engine. If that stuff is off, id like to replace, but have not researched the ancillaries of the FE290. This route is roughly the same as SEW around $600, plus or minus.
    Pluses: all original, reliability, no fabbing, no modding. Cons: re-using old crap like charging system, shipping fees.

Another re-builder right on the east coast in Maryland The Gator Guy. He is a one man shop just doing this in his spare time. http://www.thegatorguy.net
    Speaking with Ron, this is a more comprehensive overhaul than Precision Engineering in Missouri. All you do is remove the clutch, and muffler, then Ron takes the entire lump and overhauls the motor. Also checks / replaces the rest as needed, including charging system, refurbs the carburetor and starter. ~$700

Lastly, a local quote I got from a shop that rebuilds FE290s for golf carts was $1200, which is silly.
    Pluses: local, quick, easy. Cons: costs.

When my number is up, I will use Gator Guy, esp since I can prob just drive to him and back (prob same cost as shipping).
    Last edited by SouthLake; 09-06-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    blue87fj60 likes this.
    2000 4x2 Gator

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements