Is there ANYTHING sporty about the performance of a gas powered Gator HPX 4x4?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Is there ANYTHING sporty about the performance of a gas powered Gator HPX 4x4?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks

Is there ANYTHING sporty about the performance of a gas powered Gator HPX 4x4?

Is there ANYTHING sporty about the performance of a 2005 gas powered Gator HPX 4x4?

I'm lookiing for either a quad or a SxS for hunting (trails) and use around the 30 acres with SOME play time for my 12/15 year old boys (dense woods, tight trails so top speed not really an overall concern)

Am I way off base thinking the estimated 25mph top speed would be "fun" or does it take forever to get there and mostly you're putzing around at tractor speed?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5740.jpg   IMG_5742.jpg   IMG_5743.jpg  
    Last edited by sstlaure; 01-15-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks

Plenty fast enough

Quote Originally Posted by sstlaure View Post
    Is there ANYTHING sporty about the performance of a 2005 gas powered Gator HPX 4x4?

I'm lookiing for either a quad or a SxS for hunting (trails) and use around the 30 acres with SOME play time for my 12/15 year old boys (dense woods, tight trails so top speed not really an overall concern)

Am I way off base thinking the estimated 25mph top speed would be "fun" or does it take forever to get there and mostly you're putzing around at tractor speed?
    On 30 acres in dense woods 25 mph is going to be more than enough speed.

If your 30 acres was square, (unlikely I know) it would be about 1,140 on a side or almost 1/5 of a mile. Since you could theoretically go 25 miles per hour, it would only take about 30 seconds to go north to south in a straight line.

Mostly parcels aren't square and you probably don't want to go top speed on tight trails in dense woods so maybe it's 5 minutes. You can enjoy your property for five minutes instead of worrying about getting across it a minute faster.

If I was 15 again, faster was better but I've also seen too many reports of kids injured or killed because of speed on ATVs or SxS. They flip due to unexpected obstacles or hit mud and don't make a turn and meet a tree or fall out for whatever reason. Speed belongs on a track IMHO, that 25 mph would be more than fast enough for reasonable use. Now if you were in Alaska and needed to go 25 miles to get to your homestead, I might have another opinion but for your use it should be fine.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow (01-15-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    That's what I'm thinking treefarmer. My trails are fairly tight and none of them are straight so I think that will limit the "speed" anyway, but I want it to at least FEEL fun to drive for them. It would also be a good slower "starter" off-road vehicle that they couldn't get into too much trouble with.

Most likely this is just my deer/feed/tools hauler, BUT I'm planning a trip to WV for hunting and it's all off-road trail driving (26,000 acres and this would be the vehicle to get me everywhere once on-site) Would this have the power/capability of getting me out there and back or would it get stuck fairly easy.

Looks like ground clearance is decent, it's 4wd.....I don't need to go fast but it's gotta be faster than walking AND it can carry a deer (so that's a plus)

700 hrs and asking price is $4K.
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks

Seems ok but what do I know

Quote Originally Posted by sstlaure View Post
    That's what I'm thinking treefarmer. My trails are fairly tight and none of them are straight so I think that will limit the "speed" anyway, but I want it to at least FEEL fun to drive for them. It would also be a good slower "starter" off-road vehicle that they couldn't get into too much trouble with.

Most likely this is just my deer/feed/tools hauler, BUT I'm planning a trip to WV for hunting and it's all off-road trail driving (26,000 acres and this would be the vehicle to get me everywhere once on-site) Would this have the power/capability of getting me out there and back or would it get stuck fairly easy.

Looks like ground clearance is decent, it's 4wd.....I don't need to go fast but it's gotta be faster than walking AND it can carry a deer (so that's a plus)

700 hrs and asking price is $4K.
    I've never owned a SxS or an ATV so I don't really know much about price or capabilities but with 4wd and decent ground clearance, it will probably go anywhere a reasonable person would try to take it. I would put a winch on it if you are going to that trip in WVA. Lots of S x S owners on here and some of them probably can give you first hand experience.

I know that I've hit hidden groundhog holes on a tractor going 5-6 miles and hour and thought I was going to flip the tractor, bust an axle or pop a tire. Hitting one at 25 mph would be way more exciting than I need in my life.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Missed it....went to drive it last night to see how it performs and apparently someone bought it Tues night.
    BigJim55 and jdforever like this.
    -Scott-

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 06:26 AM
    Thanks
    Utility side by sides are more useful and less sporty. The 4 wheeler alternative will have more sport but be less useful.

In my inventory (for sale) right now is a Suzuki Kingquad 700. It is a great 4wd utility 4 wheeler with winch and racks but will still get after it for fun. But it is less useful than a gator for hauling and working.

I do believe the 15 year olds will get bore real quick with the sport side of a gator.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,510 Posts
    My 2 cents, had a Gator top speed 29 maybe on a good down hill. Fun yes, Grandkids loved it and would drive it all over the place . Wide open most of the time.

Fast forward to Honda Pioneer, top speed 47+ - .. .. Grandkids still run it wide open ,just not as much as before .

Biggest thing , going on trails in the woods top speed most of time ,at least around here, maybe 10mph.. Yea wide open speed is in open fields, one day our granddaughter all but put me thru the windshield. Going across a plowed field and she found the beginning ending of a plowed fielded . To this day I can still hear her laughing, , me to after I figured out me and Pioneer was OK .

and Yes get a winch.. even you only use it 1 time a year.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Thanks
    Life is to short to drive fast
    BigJim55 likes this.
    LANZ D 1906 | John Deere LANZ 510 | John Deere 112 | John Deere 3120 | John Deere CR 125 | Gator XUV 550 | 18S Cart | Güldner AZK

Wolfgang Gustav, regards from beyond the pond!

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    Utility side by sides are more useful and less sporty. The 4 wheeler alternative will have more sport but be less useful.

In my inventory (for sale) right now is a Suzuki Kingquad 700. It is a great 4wd utility 4 wheeler with winch and racks but will still get after it for fun. But it is less useful than a gator for hauling and working.

I do believe the 15 year olds will get bore real quick with the sport side of a gator.
    And long term I intend to get a Polaris ACE or something similar for the boys to truly play with (or maybe some used, beat up 2wd 4-wheelers), but I'm trying to get functional transportation for my WV hunt while still getting the utility I need on the new property while not breaking the bank (in the finishing stages of building my "last" house.....so finances are a little tighter than normal)

I was a little slow on the trigger on this one I think and so I missed it. Also looking at Ranger 570 and the like.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    -Scott-

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Thanks
    25 mph is more than enough unless you are on the road or have wide flat areas to ride on.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com