Installed Rubber Edge on Snow Blade today before snow coming in on Gator 835M
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree31Likes
  • 8 Post By 628SCF
  • 4 Post By nastorino
  • 4 Post By 628SCF
  • 2 Post By bhill
  • 4 Post By mark02tj
  • 3 Post By SulleyBear
  • 2 Post By SulleyBear
  • 1 Post By Zebrafive
  • 3 Post By 628SCF

Thread: Installed Rubber Edge on Snow Blade today before snow coming in on Gator 835M

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 09:41 AM
    Location
    southern illinois
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 24 Times in 14 Posts

    Installed Rubber Edge on Snow Blade today before snow coming in on Gator 835M

    Installed Horse Mat material to the blade today, seen where some say it will protect backtop some. Made it so I could flip it over when one side wears out. Tried it out tonight and it work pretty good. Just have to see how it last. Bought a 4' x 6' 3/4 inch mat for 39.00. I use a 5 inch strip each time, so I can make alot of pieces for my money.

    Cut it with a jig saw, need to use a better straight edge next time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BLADE MAT 1.JPG   BLADE MAT 3.JPG   BLADE MAT 2.JPG  
    Bill
    2018 JD Gator 835m
    2017 Kubota BX2680
    2017 Kubota F2690

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    613
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 50 Times in 39 Posts
    Nice work! I've only used my JD squeegee once on the 54" plow and it was great. Granted I didn't run over any of the snow and pack it down so i didn't need a hard edge to loosen it. On the wet stuff it's excellent. I had my entire driveway clean and left it only wet. Sun was out for a couple hours and the whole thing was perfectly dry.

    I sold that plow and have a new one on the way. The new one will be delivered with a UHWM poly scraper on it. I will be pulling it off and putting another rubber edge on it.

    If you get tired of making your own you could always get one made also. I will go this route myself. Rubber Wear Strip
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to nastorino For This Useful Post:

    Zebrafive (01-21-2019)

  5. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 09:41 AM
    Location
    southern illinois
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 24 Times in 14 Posts
    Those strips are nice. Probably will keep butting mine Ica get around 8 or 9 out of the mat I paid 39.00 for. So that should equal out to 16 or 18 edges.

    If these wear out fast I do have your option.

    Thanks
    Bill
    2018 JD Gator 835m
    2017 Kubota BX2680
    2017 Kubota F2690

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. Top | #4
    bhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 AM
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    300
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 53 Times in 41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 628SCF View Post
    .....If these wear out fast I do have your option.Thanks
    I believe the (reinforced) conveyor belt will hold up much better than a non reinforced stall mat. Just my .O2
    ColonyPark and mark02tj like this.
    2006 JD 3520
    300CX
    I-Match
    Frontier BB2272
    Frontier AF11E-6 Way Snow Blade
    Frontier SS1079 Poly Spreader
    ABI Classic 50 Manure Spreader
    Speeco Model 65 PHD
    Land Pride- Rotary Deck Mower
    Rimguard 610 lbs
    Ballast Box 510 lbs
    Artillan Forks
    Kens Bolt On Hooks.
    2012 JD Gator 825i
    Deluxe Cab with heat

  8. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Online
    07-17-2019 @ 07:05 PM
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    3,145
    Thanks
    969
    Thanked 724 Times in 530 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 628SCF View Post
    Those strips are nice. Probably will keep butting mine Ica get around 8 or 9 out of the mat I paid 39.00 for. So that should equal out to 16 or 18 edges.

    If these wear out fast I do have your option.

    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bhill View Post
    I believe the (reinforced) conveyor belt will hold up much better than a non reinforced stall mat. Just my .O2
    You're probably right, bhill. At the end of this season I'll post up how well my stall mat has held up. Hopefully 628SCF will do the same. So far this year, I've plowed 4 times. I have a 20x60 concrete pad and a strip of asphalt that's 10' wide and 342' long. The cutting edge is still looking good.

    628SCF - I used a utility knife to cut my stall mat. Probably not as clean of an edge as you got with the jig saw, but good enough for what this is for. Plus I didn't have to sweep up any black rubber "saw dust". I cut and drilled a total of 4 strips so I'd be ready if these did wear out fast. I really didn't want to have to worry about making another one if the weather was cold.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

  9. Top | #6
    SulleyBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Location
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Posts
    6,579
    Thanks
    1,346
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    You're probably right, bhill. At the end of this season I'll post up how well my stall mat has held up. Hopefully 628SCF will do the same. So far this year, I've plowed 4 times. I have a 20x60 concrete pad and a strip of asphalt that's 10' wide and 342' long. The cutting edge is still looking good.

    628SCF - I used a utility knife to cut my stall mat. Probably not as clean of an edge as you got with the jig saw, but good enough for what this is for. Plus I didn't have to sweep up any black rubber "saw dust". I cut and drilled a total of 4 strips so I'd be ready if these did wear out fast. I really didn't want to have to worry about making another one if the weather was cold.
    I guarantee you it has worn to an edge shaped like the angle on the bottom of the plow. If it was jagged, it's likely not anymore........Did you see the picture of the old edge I replaced a few days ago with over 1,000 plows on it.....? Here it is in case you missed it. How's that for a wear pattern?

    Second picture shows the new edge in the background held up against the worn one..................It's starts out in a nice rectangular shape, but developed the "rounded edge" with a lot of use...............The old edge still worked, I had torn the end where it got thin.

    The edges don't wear uniformly if you keep the plow angled often, it wears the leading edge more. It seals tight against the pavement for it's entire width, it's just the way the hitch angles the plow which causes the outer edges to have an angle to them.........

    Your strip will last years unless you tear it as it wears down. Too much down pressure when back dragging is the easiest way to tear them.



    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190117_140540617_HDR.jpg   IMG_20190117_134720409.jpg  
    ColonyPark, rtgt and mark02tj like this.

    1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

    John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

    ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products





  10. Top | #7
    SulleyBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Location
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Posts
    6,579
    Thanks
    1,346
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 628SCF View Post
    Installed Horse Mat material to the blade today, seen where some say it will protect backtop some. Made it so I could flip it over when one side wears out. Tried it out tonight and it work pretty good. Just have to see how it last. Bought a 4' x 6' 3/4 inch mat for 39.00. I use a 5 inch strip each time, so I can make alot of pieces for my money.

    Cut it with a jig saw, need to use a better straight edge next time.
    628SCF,

    Nice job on the rubber plow edge. You will really like the results it can provide.

    The rubber will prevent marring of the blacktop, plus it cleans the surface really well, which prevents ice build up and allows the sun to clear the pavement, reducing the need to use snow melt products like salt, sand, etc.

    Keep an eye on the rubber edge as it will wear to the metal strap pretty quickly and you don't want to have the strap making contact with the pavement. Also, watch the plow shoes as you want them adjusted so the shoes are just off the driveway and the rubber edge is carrying the whole plow. Otherwise, the shoes will lift the edge off the driveway and not clean it as it can and will if adjusted to keep the shoes up slightly and the rubber edge in contact across the plow.

    Here is a series of pictures of the amount of rubber I suggest under the strap, and it will work pretty well......

    As far as flipping the strap over when it wears, with as many spares as you have, I would just throw the worn edge away and put on a new one. For the next strap, I would suggest drilling the holes not in the center, but in the upper 1/3rd of the edge and providing more wear edge under the plow. Often, they get pretty worn and when I tried flipping them, they didn't last as long because of the wear towards the center, somewhat like in the picture I posted above.....When worn, they will rip easier if you catch them on something.

    I would suggest about 2" to 3" maximum of actual rubber edge, measured from the bottom of the actual plow, not necessarily the strap. If you put much more than 3" beneath the plow, the rubber can flex too much and it might tear or even cause the plow to "skip" across the pavement. While I built my plow so the mounting edge is lower than the Deere 54" plow, you want the rubber edge to be able to flex as it helps with scraping and also back dragging. My black metal strap is actually square with the bottom edge of my plow, so the rubber edge shown beneath the metal strap is actually the width of the rubber under the plow.

    Also note how I have a little extra strap hanging off the end of the plow on each end, this is very helpful in preventing the plow making contact with the wooden door frames when back dragging from garage doors. But don't extend the ends off the plow more than about 4" or it will cause the rubber edge to really flex when used and can rip it across the bottom of the plow. Then you have to throw it away and start over, as the torn rubber strip folds under the weight of the plow.

    The rubber extending out past the end of the plow prevents the metal plow from contacting the wooden door frame, and permits the plow to back drag most of the actual door width. My plow is 87" wide (7'3") it back drags much of the door width with a single pass, which is what I usually do unless it's a double door.



    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190118_150957608_HDR.jpg   IMG_20190118_151011446_HDR.jpg  
    Zebrafive and mark02tj like this.

    1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

    John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

    ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products





  11. Top | #8
    Zebrafive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Location
    South West Michigan
    Posts
    6,955
    Thanks
    1,486
    Thanked 577 Times in 506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
    Nice work! I've only used my JD squeegee once on the 54" plow and it was great. Granted I didn't run over any of the snow and pack it down so i didn't need a hard edge to loosen it. On the wet stuff it's excellent. I had my entire driveway clean and left it only wet. Sun was out for a couple hours and the whole thing was perfectly dry.

    I sold that plow and have a new one on the way. The new one will be delivered with a UHWM poly scraper on it. I will be pulling it off and putting another rubber edge on it.

    If you get tired of making your own you could always get one made also. I will go this route myself. Rubber Wear Strip
    Thanks for the link. I wonder how this would work on my 8' Western plow on my '78 Ford F250 (Old Yeller). My driveway is all concrete. This my second plow (first was a 7 1/2' that rusted out) and second metal wear edge (first one has flipped and replaced when it was worn almost to the plow.
    bhill likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

  12. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 09:41 AM
    Location
    southern illinois
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 24 Times in 14 Posts
    Use the new edge 3 times so far, very pleased with the results, cleaned 3 drives this morning (mine, 100 year old neighbor, and neighbor fighting cancer). 2 blacktop drives and one gravel, worked great on all three. Will have to monitor the edge like everyone said. I like the idea of extending past the edge but the mat I am using is 72 inches long the same as my blade.

    Jig saw didn't make too much of a mess, but one of the small tools with a saw blade really stinks when cutting and plenty of smoke. So will stick with jig saws. I will cut more strips to have on hand. I mainly wanted to see how it did first. I can also just use the other edge when this one wears.

    So overall I am happy with what I am using, only think better would be 75 degrees and sunny out.
    Bill
    2018 JD Gator 835m
    2017 Kubota BX2680
    2017 Kubota F2690

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •