Is adding chains to my 6x4 gator a good idea?
Like Tree20Likes
  • 3 Post By Lauraleigh
  • 3 Post By JD4044M
  • 2 Post By jd.rasentrac
  • 1 Post By Zebrafive
  • 2 Post By Herminator
  • 5 Post By jd.rasentrac
  • 2 Post By Chuckv
  • 2 Post By Lauraleigh

Thread: Is adding chains to my 6x4 gator a good idea?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    05-02-2019 @ 08:08 AM
    Thanks

Is adding chains to my 6x4 gator a good idea?

Hi friends! Here in Michigan, we had quite a week of winter weather - bitter cold and a decent accumulation of snow. I brought the big tractor out to plow a path from my horse barn to my manure pile for the gator. I then took off in the gator, back end loaded with manure, with all the confidence in the world knowing the 6x4 was essentially a Sherman Tank, only to quickly have my confidence shattered, lol. I slipped and spun and ground to a halt. Huh? I was on my plowed path!? I locked the rear differential in and struggled to the manure pile and back. What I learned is as long as I don't "dilly-dally" I can make it to the pile and back, but if I stop at all I'm done for. Three days in a row I've been stuck while trying to turn the gator around as I back it into the barn. It seems the back 4 heavy lug tires seem to sit on top of the snow pack and just spin away without going anywhere!

So my questions are these: Will chains help? Are actual tire chains or cable style chains preferable? I'm not sure how to select a size given the back tires are so wide? Do I put them on the rear most tires or the next axel up? And MOST importantly, are these going to do any damage to my concrete barn aisle????? A friend mentioned a style of chains that have heavy rubber straps that cross the tread area of the tires. Would those be a good idea?

Thanks so much in advance for any guidance!

Laura
    JD Gator 6x4 (gas), JD 1070 with 80 front end loader and 72 mower, JD F-911, JD RX-73, (2)JD RX-75, JD Brushhog, Woods landscape rake, Woods back blade

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:46 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauraleigh View Post
    Hi friends! Here in Michigan, we had quite a week of winter weather - bitter cold and a decent accumulation of snow. I brought the big tractor out to plow a path from my horse barn to my manure pile for the gator. I then took off in the gator, back end loaded with manure, with all the confidence in the world knowing the 6x4 was essentially a Sherman Tank, only to quickly have my confidence shattered, lol. I slipped and spun and ground to a halt. Huh? I was on my plowed path!? I locked the rear differential in and struggled to the manure pile and back. What I learned is as long as I don't "dilly-dally" I can make it to the pile and back, but if I stop at all I'm done for. Three days in a row I've been stuck while trying to turn the gator around as I back it into the barn. It seems the back 4 heavy lug tires seem to sit on top of the snow pack and just spin away without going anywhere!

So my questions are these: Will chains help? Are actual tire chains or cable style chains preferable? I'm not sure how to select a size given the back tires are so wide? Do I put them on the rear most tires or the next axel up? And MOST importantly, are these going to do any damage to my concrete barn aisle????? A friend mentioned a style of chains that have heavy rubber straps that cross the tread area of the tires. Would those be a good idea?

Thanks so much in advance for any guidance!

Laura
    Yes chains will help and the Gator will be a different machine running them to you traction wise. On Ice tires do not dig in chains lift the tire up and it sits on a little narrow chain that can get a bite on the ice. The big fat tires are like a sled on ice very little pressure per sq inch on the ice. To bad you can't run narrow tractor tires in the winter and regular fat type ones in the summer. If I owned a Gator I would have 2 sets of tire for that reason. I don't think the light weight gator will hurt the cement but it is a barn and a little scratching is not going to hurt anything.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 02-04-2019 at 08:56 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JD4044M For This Useful Post:

Lauraleigh (02-04-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks
    Hi Laura. What's the tire pattern of your 6x4 - and how heavy was the manure load?! Have you used the differential lock? And... the 6x4 has no front wheel drive! If the streets are slippery here, I only use the 4wd and if it's getting icy, I use the diff lock. But than I don't drive with heavy weights
    BigJim55 and Gebada22 like this.
    LANZ D 1906 | John Deere LANZ 510 | John Deere 112 | John Deere 3120 | John Deere CR 125 | Gator XUV 550 | 18S Cart | Güldner AZK

Wolfgang Gustav, regards from beyond the pond!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jd.rasentrac For This Useful Post:

Lauraleigh (02-08-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Thanks
    I knew two owners of 6x4 Gators. Both go rid of them because of steering problems on ice/snow. The went to 4x4 versions that the front tires were powered. Where the 6x4 excels is treading lightly.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone! Silly question but, which axel is the drive one in back? The fartherst axel back or the middle axel? That’s the one I assume I would want the chains for?

Laura
    JD Gator 6x4 (gas), JD 1070 with 80 front end loader and 72 mower, JD F-911, JD RX-73, (2)JD RX-75, JD Brushhog, Woods landscape rake, Woods back blade

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    07-14-2019 @ 11:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauraleigh View Post
    Thanks everyone! Silly question but, which axel is the drive one in back? The fartherst axel back or the middle axel? That’s the one I assume I would want the chains for?

Laura
    Both rear axles drive 6x4 (6wheels x 4 driven) like 4x4 or 4x2 in a truck. I think you could get away with just one axle but that is really an interesting question. When you go over a raise or berm only one of the rear axles will be on the ground at a time. If you have diff lock that locks up all four tires it might make sense to chain a front on one side and a rear on the other. Otherwise I would do the rear axle only as starting up a hill they would be the last ones in contact and going down a hill at the bottom they would also be the last in contact. They would only not be touching when cresting a ramp so to speak.
    BigJim55 and Gebada22 like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Herminator For This Useful Post:

Lauraleigh (02-11-2019)

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks
    Here you see how the drive works

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unbenannt.JPG  
    Kennyd, BigJim55, mark02tj and 2 others like this.
    LANZ D 1906 | John Deere LANZ 510 | John Deere 112 | John Deere 3120 | John Deere CR 125 | Gator XUV 550 | 18S Cart | Güldner AZK

Wolfgang Gustav, regards from beyond the pond!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jd.rasentrac For This Useful Post:

Gebada22 (02-09-2019), Lauraleigh (02-11-2019)

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks
    Part of your traction issue is likely due to having TOO MUCH contact area on those 4 rear tires for your load weight. This is also known as "flotation" and is what gives your 6x4 such a light touch on turf for its size...but it does interfere with traction on ice. You might try taking off a pair of rear tires and put chains on the remaining pair. If it were me, I would retain the rear tires since you probably will still want to use the dump bed feature...

Chains on all four drive wheels would of course be ideal, but you still may skate around a bit when empty. It has not been mentioned yet in this thread, but you want to use "two link" chains -- chains with a cross chain every two links of the sidewall chain. Most highway chains are four link...

Chains on the steering axle tires are a good idea if you find that normal steering is too slippery on the ice. those must be the two link style as once in skid, the tire/chain combination is not rotating and a four link chain may not be presenting any traction cross bars to the ground surface due to the increased distance along the tire's circumference.

Here are some examples... Garden Tractor Tire Chains | Free US Shipping

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuckv; 02-09-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    BigJim55 and jd.rasentrac like this.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckv For This Useful Post:

Lauraleigh (02-11-2019)

16. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone! Great information. To answer a few of your questions, the rear tires have the heavy “farm tractor” style tread while the front are turf tires. I agree, too much surface area allows it to sit on top of the snow/ice rather than grip into it. Kinda like a dually truck vs std. one. Thanks also for the tip on the 2 link style chains - I never would nave known that!

You guys are such awesome help! Really, really appreciate it!

Laura
    BigJim55 and mark02tj like this.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements