Green Tractor Talk banner

Deere XUV 835R HVAC System

22K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  sunnyside360 
#1 ·
Looking for a UTV with cab, heat and A/C which will do 40 + mph. It will replace my 2014 Kubota RTV X1100C which has served me well in all categories except for speed. Kubota RTV max speed is only about 25 mph. Much of my property is along 1.5 mile stretch of township asphalt road and I would like to go faster. I’m aware of two options, Polaris Northstar and John Deere XUV 835R, but there may be others. I looked at a Polaris Northstar yesterday and plan to check out the John Deere XUV 835R next week. MSRP prices for the two machines are comparable. Only question/concern is how good is the HVAC system in the two machines? Any HVAC info for either Polaris and/or Deere models would be appreciated.

#3 ·
The hvac system is fantastic. I have an 865r, but the HVAC system should perform the same. The AC system gets it nice and cold even at idle during 90 deg, high humidity, sunny days.
I had my gator out a couple weeks back at -10 deg and I have to turn the temperature knob down even with the fan on low.
There is no doubt it would be good at -20 deg.
The M that Tim mentioned would save you a few bucks, but maybe not as much at it seems by the time you get it optioned out. There are allot of wiring harnesses and interior parts that aren’t standard on the M.
I like the diesel, but it only goes 32, so it may not be good for you young speed demons:laugh:

#4 ·
i got the gas model 835R---late last fall i was finally able to be able to run it out to the governor:airplane: ran up to 47 mph till it shut down to 45 mph's. it wanted to go faster, but puter i guess:dunno:shut it down.

A/C is fantastic on them warm days i had, (bought in September some time:dunno:)

now the heater jeez oh mighty--u gotta turn it down after a bit -at least in mine u do. just wished JD would of put a slower speed on the first notch of knob. way to fast. bad thing i find turning it off and on-even on the temp setting of low.

don't settle on the M model-go the extra length and get the R one. u will not regret it. and don't forget to pimp it out too.:laugh:

#24 ·
why yes i am:good2:i looked at them all before settling

That's great news. For some reason the John Deere dealers (four) within 75 miles of State College, PA do not have an 835R in stock. I can drive on the interstate about 100 miles to see and test drive one. Looking at doing just that later this week. :bigthumb:
did u try west central at martinsburg, Pa.?

I second Arlen... fenders guards both front and rear ( not to be confused with fender extenders) CV joint guards....
yes-indeed go for the fender guards. i wished i had known the tires was gonna throw so much junk onto the back of the cab:banghead: i would of gotten them too. am having the rear's installed when i take it in for some warranty work later this spring.
:unknown:didn't know they had front ones too. guess i better go look on jd parts again.

She will like it.
yes-for sure. my wife fussed around a lot till she got to drive it here at home. i couldn't believe how much she enjoyed driving it then. course it was easier for me to hold charley boy out the window with her driving.:thumbup1gif:
the first night home with it, i was really disgusted on how much noise it made inside the cab. next day i called my salesman and said hey-i'm bringing it back down, and u can have it:lol: never would of thought them tires make so much noise with the windows shut. but now that i got 645 miles on it, the lugs are wore down pretty good, a lot quieter inside, but could be better-imo. defiantly going with different tires on next set.

#7 · (Edited)
I have the 835M HVAC and I would probably go with the R if I had to do it over again. With the R you receive a headliner and rear liner which will help with outside sounds. If you get the R I would probably suggest getting seat covers, especially if you use it for working.

I ordered the floor mats for it also. On my old Kubota X900 I would just use the hose on the inside, don't think I will be doing that with this one.

I also have already started looking at different tires, I don't use my Gator for trail riding, more time on the road than off, I believe the noise from the current tires is loud (maxxis bighorn 2.0)

No AC use yet, but like Jim said, what a heater.

#8 ·
Thanks to all for your replies. I did find one feature which may be a deal breaker. It seems the XUV 835R does not have engine braking (EBS). I have a lot of hills on this old farm land and That is one thing I missed on some previous machines I had. I would very likely be looking for a replacement clutch/belt which incorporated engine braking if I got a 835R.

#14 ·
My wife and I traveled about 100 miles today to look at and test drive a new 835R. It was a great experience. In the end, we wanted to take it home but we have to work with our local dealer on either transferring the machine or ordering another and price.
Visited the local Deere dealer and discussed transferring the 835R we road tested. They put a HOLD on that machine and we're supposed to meet again next week to review what they can do and will include the new John Deere Promo offer which went into effect March 1. So things are looking up so far.

The machine we test drove already had some options installed including: deluxe bed with spray in liner and rear light guards, rear bumper, front bumper, power bed lift, maxi big horn tires on black alloy rims. I'm looking at adding turn signal kit, horn kit, and LED work lights.
Should I be thinking about other options as well like fender extensions, and etc??

#17 ·
I second Arlen... fenders guards both front and rear ( not to be confused with fender extenders) CV joint guards....

#18 ·
I’ve owned a Kubota RTV X1100C for 4 years and last week drove the Polaris Ranger 1000 Northstar and the John Deere 835R. All three UTV’s have cabs with HVAC systems. Features which stand out on the Northstar IMO are it’s power/acceleration, ergonomics, and general appearance. It was about 30 degrees out at the time and the heating seemed very anemic after about 20 minutes of driving when compared to my older Kubota X1100C.

The new John Deere XUV 835R had so-so power/acceleration with top speed of 47 mph which is acceptable for what I want to use it for. Ergonomics and appearance were about on par with the Northstar, again IMO. The heating system seemed very good and about equivalent to the Kubota X1100C. In addition, the 835R cab noise seemed way less than the Kubota and somewhat less than the Northstar.

Down hill engine braking on the Kubota X1100C is far superior to both the Northstar and 835R and I believe the 835R is slightly better than the Northstar in high range but not by much.

Given what I am looking for in a UTV and based on input from forum members, I've decided to go with the John Deere 835R. Just today, I got what I believe is a very good offer on the 835R which helps clinche the deal. It will take about a week to get the remaining options I want ordered, shipped and installed on the new machine.

Thanks to all forum members for your responses.

#21 ·
Good luck with the new 835. I really enjoy my 835M. After changing out the Maxxis to my new tires the noise level has dropped down. If I would of thought about it I would of taken a reading on the noise before and after.

Oh well I just know I like it.

Now trying to decide how I want to proceed with a radio. I like the bluetooth speaker setup, but I think I would also like the in dash radio. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

#22 · (Edited)
Now trying to decide how I want to proceed with a radio. I like the bluetooth speaker setup, but I think I would also like the in dash radio. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
I did not order a radio in this new 835R because I had radios in my last couple of UTV's and rarely ever used them. When I did it was usually to get the weather forecast. I now use the cell phone for weather and just about everything else including music.

Think my wife is more anxious to get this new machine than I am.

#28 ·
“Does the ‘R’ come with rear view mirrors? Our M HVAC does not have any rear view mirrors, outside or inside. This is a necessary option.”

I’m having them added to my 835r for $155.00. I put them on my 825i when I bought it and they are very useful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.