Any alternative ideas for putting an aftermarket radio in a 835r?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Any alternative ideas for putting an aftermarket radio in a 835r?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks

Any alternative ideas for putting an aftermarket radio in a 835r?

I am in the midsts of trading my 825i with the deluxe cab for the 835r. I am picking out the options I want in it and the radios that they have to offer seem a little high in price for what they are. Has anyone put something other than what John Deere has to offer in their 835r or 835m. If so what did you install?
    Gizmo2 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Thanks
    While Im not familiar with putting radios in Gators, I looked at the JD website and they are just using aftermarket JENSEN single din radios.
    But Ive installed raidos in anything with wheels and, they are all basically the same.
    The radios they list are plain jane-nothing special radios.
    Non-JD prices are as follows:
    The SWJHD1130 is $159
    The SWJHD1635BT is $259
    SWJHD36AMIC is 249
    Im not saying they are crap but if you are looking for better features,Im sure you could do better with pricing.

Also, all radios of that nature wire in exactly the same. 8 speaker wires, red (switched power), yellow (memory retention), black(ground), blue/purple for antennas. Its not hard to install the stereo of your choice.

Hope this info helps.
    Last edited by Toughsox; 03-02-2019 at 09:05 PM.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
    While Im not familiar with putting radios in Gators, I looked at the JD website and they are just using aftermarket JENSEN single din radios.
    But Ive installed raidos in anything with wheels and, they are all basically the same.
    The radios they list are plain jane-nothing special radios.
    Non-JD prices are as follows:
    The SWJHD1130 is $159
    The SWJHD1635BT is $259
    SWJHD36AMIC is 249
    Im not saying they are crap but if you are looking for better features,Im sure you could do better with pricing.

Also, all radios of that nature wire in exactly the same. 8 speaker wires, red (switched power), yellow (memory retention), black(ground), blue/purple for antennas. Its not hard to install the stereo of your choice.

Hope this info helps.
    Thanks for the information, any idea where the antenna would go on this particular model?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-04-2019 @ 10:27 AM
    Thanks

Alternatives

Have you considered a Sirius radio? I know there is a subscription cost, but I enjoy the variety of channels. I also pay for it on an annual basis. When it's time to renew, I shut it down for a few weeks and they will call with offers of a lower yearly/monthly rate.

The other option that I use is a Altec Lansing Life Jacket blue tooth speaker connected to my phone. I have a couple of music apps that are subscription free, not to mention loading music into the phone to play. I also have a set of blue tooth noise suppression headphones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2371.JPG
    Chris
    2018 1025R TLB, (260b) 60d mmm, HF iMatch, PHD, rear blade, trailer mover, Ken's BoHs, Traveler LED rear and front work lights.
    2018 3046R w/FEL, HF iMatch, 60" Titan tiller, 60" Titan rotary cutter, pallet forks, rear blade, Ken's BoHs, trailer mover, Traveler LED lights.
    1994 F911 Lawnmower 72" deck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CG3315 For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2†(03-03-2019)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerefarmer View Post
    Thanks for the information, any idea where the antenna would go on this particular model?
    Again, while totally unfamiliar with Gators other than the plain-Jane ones we have at work which dont have radios nor a place to put one, I'm totally unsure. But at the same time, all vehicle radios have the old style jacks in the backs of them, so plugging in a standard antenna wouldn't be a problem. You could either drill a hole to fit it where you wanted or, while your at the JD dealership, see where they are mounting it. Its quite possible they already have the hole there with a plastic plug covering the hole.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-R...YaAq2tEALw_wcB Im sure they make a ton of other choices that would fit your choosing, as they dont have to be 3 feet long like that one.

At worse, you could just get yourself a 2 inch wide piece of bendable metal or thin angle iron / aluminum like this crappy drawing I just did, and secure it to your location of choice. Click image for larger version.†

Name:	zX422VN.png†
Views:	43†
Size:	6.0 KB†
ID:	674672 Don't judge my Microsoft Paint skills.... I'm still waiting for my morning coffee to finish brewing.

PS, they also make antenna wire extensions so you could easily mount an antenna as far back as you wanted to.
    SulleyBear likes this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Toughsox For This Useful Post:

Deerefarmer†(03-03-2019)

10. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 2,824 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerefarmer View Post
    I am in the midsts of trading my 825i with the deluxe cab for the 835r. I am picking out the options I want in it and the radios that they have to offer seem a little high in price for what they are. Has anyone put something other than what John Deere has to offer in their 835r or 835m. If so what did you install?
    Not a radio but we use a wireless bluetooth speaker with our smart phones.
    The speaker is sitting in the cup holders on/in the dash...
    Last edited by Gizmo2; 03-03-2019 at 05:20 AM.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

628SCF†(03-03-2019)

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:10 AM
    Thanks
    Sorry to post another non gator specific answer but I suggest any generic mechless radio with bluetooth. I have gone mechless in everything. I prefer the ones with an SD or Micro SD slot. You can put gobs of music on a SD card or small form thumb drive. Bluetooth will alert you of phone calls and some folks use that function for music also.

For the antenna in my backhoe I bored the hole in one of the side pods. I installed one of those old fashioned rubber antennas and used a zip tie to secure the tip to one of the window brackets. Works fine and keeps it out of my way. I didn't really need an antenna because all my tunes are on the SD card that stays in the unit.
    John Deere 4310 tractor, New Holland 575E backhoe, John Deere F725 mower

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CG3315 View Post
    Have you considered a Sirius radio? I know there is a subscription cost, but I enjoy the variety of channels. I also pay for it on an annual basis. When it's time to renew, I shut it down for a few weeks and they will call with offers of a lower yearly/monthly rate.

The other option that I use is a Altec Lansing Life Jacket blue tooth speaker connected to my phone. I have a couple of music apps that are subscription free, not to mention loading music into the phone to play. I also have a set of blue tooth noise suppression headphones.
    Thatís a good alternative...Thanks!
    SulleyBear likes this.

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 AM
    Thanks
    If I were to put a stereo in my 825i with a deluxe cab, I would definitely want a stereo with Bluetooth and the capability to add a microphone.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    2006 JD 3520
    300CX
    I-Match
    Frontier BB2272
    Frontier AF11E-6 Way Snow Blade
    Frontier SS1079 Poly Spreader
    ABI Classic 50 Manure Spreader
    Speeco Model 65 PHD
    Land Pride- Rotary Deck Mower
    Rimguard 610 lbs
    Ballast Box 510 lbs
    Artillan Forks
    Kens Bolt On Hooks.
    2012 JD Gator 825i
    Deluxe Cab with heat

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
    Again, while totally unfamiliar with Gators other than the plain-Jane ones we have at work which dont have radios nor a place to put one, I'm totally unsure. But at the same time, all vehicle radios have the old style jacks in the backs of them, so plugging in a standard antenna wouldn't be a problem. You could either drill a hole to fit it where you wanted or, while your at the JD dealership, see where they are mounting it. Its quite possible they already have the hole there with a plastic plug covering the hole.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-R...YaAq2tEALw_wcB Im sure they make a ton of other choices that would fit your choosing, as they dont have to be 3 feet long like that one.

At worse, you could just get yourself a 2 inch wide piece of bendable metal or thin angle iron / aluminum like this crappy drawing I just did, and secure it to your location of choice. Click image for larger version.†

Name:	zX422VN.png†
Views:	43†
Size:	6.0 KB†
ID:	674672 Don't judge my Microsoft Paint skills.... I'm still waiting for my morning coffee to finish brewing.

PS, they also make antenna wire extensions so you could easily mount an antenna as far back as you wanted to.
    On my Gator Iím trading in I did make a bracket on the back of the roof where a LED light could be mounted and I hid the cable under the liner inside ( Iíll show a couple of pictures). When I was looking at the Radios reccomended for the newer 835r itís almost looks like they were using a hidden power antenna that they left behind the dash. Iím not sure how good that setup works but Iím thinking of just going the traditional route, that way I know I wonít have reception issues. Thanks for your ideas!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CE718D17-A8F1-4374-9568-D4CA0FFDA496.jpeg AFB9C677-03C5-407C-AD3A-A1E661EC2EE4.jpeg
    Gizmo2, bhill, SulleyBear and 1 others like this.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast