Green Tractor Talk banner

825i Parking Brake and question on painting wheels

9K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Herminator 
#1 ·
Friends,

I’ve purchased my first Gator— 2013 825i. Upgrading from a Kubota RTV500, the Gator is a beast!

It’s only problem is the parking brake. It doesn’t work at all. Cable is good. Fluid level looks good. Seller said he thought it was something in the transmission. From my reading, it looks like I may need a new parking brake assembly. Part number I’m seeing is AM148453. Part cost is fairly high ($400) so I’m hesitant to buy without some insights from others. Anyone tried to replace this before? It is a DIY project?

Second question. My 2013 825i has the silver wheels. Anyone tried spray painting these black? My Gator is the olive color and the black wheels seems to look better on these. I’m thinking about removing the wheels from the gator, taping off the tires, center wheel cover, and lug nuts, and painting the wheels using a flat or glossy black from rusteoleum. Anyone tried this before?

As always, thanks...

#2 · (Edited)
It works. Of course JD wheels are yellow. These were done in 2010 and I was not sure how the paint would stick to aluminum but I have not had any peel.

Attachments

#3 ·
Haven’t had to mess with the parking brake on mine yet, so can’t help you on that one.

Which wheels do you have. Mine is olive color with bleach wheels. They are the stock steel wheels and came in black. I would think you could paint them, which ever wheels you have. Pic of mine if you wonder what black wheel look like.

Attachments

#4 ·
You can remove the center cap and lug nuts, so need to tape them. If you want to break the bead you can put something (paper, cardboard, etc.) between the wheel and tire. Do tape off the valve stem.

I would not use flat black, too hard to clean. Use semi gloss or gloss black.

I agree black will look better than silver for the wheels :good2:

#7 ·
Thanks all for the feedback. Here's a picture of my current setup:

Obviously, not too bad but I think the black glossy wheels might look better.

By chance do you know the part number of the center wheel caps? I'm missing one of the four.
Cap is P/N AM148357

Black or even matching Olive green would look better. Those are the wheels I thought you had.

Neighbor's new 835i lost a cap in the first week. The dealer gave him another under warranty :good2:

#9 ·
Looks great!!

Reactions: Herminator
#13 ·
I agree, aluminum wheels looks good on cars but stick out on a gator IMO. Yours look great that color.:good2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.