Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Mowing Brush with your UTV

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 948 Posts

Mowing Brush with your UTV

I haven’t found much online about folks using their UTV/Side by Side with a pull/tow behind mower, particularly a brush mower. There are plenty of promo videos by DR, Swisher, and Kuntz/AcrEase, Dirty Hands, etc., but not much from actual homeowners. Is that because it’s not the way to go? After finishing a large acreage survey this week (the second of which I could have used a Gator on in the last 2 months), and fielding calls about several more, I’m exploring buying a Gator (just to generalize of course).

I would like to get a brush mower as more land I work on goes to brush every year, and I could cut some paths along lines, etc. I would also like to get a brush mower so that I could be ready to mow at pretty much the drop of a hat, seeing that some years we run out of time to use the brush hog, and then it’s time to mow again and I take the brush hog off, unused. I am intrigued by being able to mow our rough field with something with a suspension, and being able to offset the mower so we don’t have to drive through the tall grass (not really any brush in our field). I realize towing a “trailer mower” will have drawbacks from a 3PH type mower. I plan to also put a plow on it for snow removal, but that’s beside the point.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, OxPath and 1 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 2,824 Posts
    A friend of mine uses one similar to this. He pulls it with an ATV, does a pretty nice job.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize.php.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	685886

Keep in mind, double the gas usage.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (05-13-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    A friend of mine uses one similar to this. He pulls it with an ATV, does a pretty nice job.

Thanks. The gas thing is definitely a downside, and these mowers don't have that big of tanks. It does seem that at least one of them could be ordered with a bigger tank though. I figured that by the time Mrs. CP ran a tank of gas through the mower, she'd be ready for a break anyway. Man, how thoughtful of a husband am I? But I figured with us cutting the field twice a year at most, it wouldn't be a deal/bank breaker. And besides, I'll still have the 3PH brush hog on the diesel tractor, just in case.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:16 AM
    Thanks
    I think the tow behind mower would be a pain unless you are in an open area. But It would be nice to be in a heated and cooled UTV cab in the summer while mowing a pasture.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    2018 1023e

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 1023Easy For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (05-13-2019)

9. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 2,824 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    Thanks. The gas thing is definitely a downside, and these mowers don't have that big of tanks. It does seem that at least one of them could be ordered with a bigger tank though. I figured that by the time Mrs. CP ran a tank of gas through the mower, she'd be ready for a break anyway. Man, how thoughtful of a husband am I?But I figured with us cutting the field twice a year at most, it wouldn't be a deal/bank breaker. And besides, I'll still have the 3PH brush hog on the diesel tractor, just in case.
    IMO that's a flaw in your thinking. You get this and someone will be mowing a couple of times a month. Trust me.
    Nobody (including me) wanted to mow here until we got our first ZTR. Now even the horse pastures get mowed pretty regularly.
    ColonyPark, rtgt, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (05-13-2019)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,164 Posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize.php.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	685886

We have one of these pictured though I can't off hand remember the brand because we haven't used it in a few years, 48" cut that can offset to either side. Yes, it is a gas hog but also has a large enough tank for at least 2-3 hrs of mowing. When you say "brush" cutter are you talking about cutting actual brush or overgrown fields? These tow behind units like the one we have are "rough" cut mowers, not a brush hog, but they do work well for grassy areas that don't necessarily need a finished look.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, rtgt and 2 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (05-13-2019)

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    05-31-2019 @ 02:28 PM
    Thanks
    Swisher?
    ColonyPark likes this.

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    IMO that's a flaw in your thinking. You get this and someone will be mowing a couple of times a month. Trust me.
    Nobody (including me) wanted to mow here until we got our first ZTR. Now even the horse pastures get mowed pretty regularly.
    True enough and I’m sure you’re right, but I also want to make sure the Gator gets used so.....

Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    We have one of these pictured though I can't off hand remember the brand because we haven't used it in a few years, 48" cut that can offset to either side. Yes, it is a gas hog but also has a large enough tank for at least 2-3 hrs of mowing. When you say "brush" cutter are you talking about cutting actual brush or overgrown fields? These tow behind units like the one we have are "rough" cut mowers, not a brush hog, but they do work well for grassy areas that don't necessarily need a finished look.
    Yes Pat, the rough cut mowers. My field is all grass except a couple multiflora roses if we skip a year cutting it. On the years we’ve gotten two cuttings in, from our deck 350’ away, it looks finish mowed. That’s plenty good for us. It is wide open, no trees or obstacles to mow around. It sounds like these mowers burn about a gallon an hour?
    Gizmo2, rtgt, OxPath and 1 others like this.
    Jamie

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    True enough and I’m sure you’re right, but I also want to make sure the Gator gets used so.....

Yes Pat, the rough cut mowers. My field is all grass except a couple multiflora roses if we skip a year cutting it. On the years we’ve gotten two cuttings in, from our deck 350’ away, it looks finish mowed. That’s plenty good for us. It is wide open, no trees or obstacles to mow around. It sounds like these mowers burn about a gallon an hour?
    Yes, I've never measured or kept track when we did use ours, I just know that you wanted to have gas on hand. Could you use your tractor with rotary cutter? I can cut our pastures in less time with my tractor than I can with the Mule and that tow behind.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, rtgt and 2 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    Yes, I've never measured or kept track when we did use ours, I just know that you wanted to have gas on hand. Could you use your tractor with rotary cutter? I can cut our pastures in less time with my tractor than I can with the Mule and that tow behind.
    Yes we can use the tractor with the RC and it works great. I’m just trying to justify the Gator!

Often, I finish mowing and then put the RC on, get it adjusted and then it sits all week because life gets in the way. Then poof, its time to mow again and I take it off so I can put the MMM back on. I’d like something that I can have ready to mow the field if I happen to score a few hours at the drop of a hat.

I had also thought of buying something to use as a dedicated mowing machine, leaving the 1026R for tractor duties only. Mrs CP asked if we really needed another tractor. This was after she saw me looking at the Gators at an outdoor show. She commented that that would come in handy around the house and for surveys. Gotta keep momma happy...
    Gizmo2, rtgt, OxPath and 1 others like this.
    Jamie

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast