Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: In depth, 50 hour XUV865M Review - Two stars

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-07-2019 @ 06:25 AM
    Thanks

In depth, 50 hour XUV865M Review - Two stars

I purchased the XUV865M in October, and it arrived mid-Jan. It took quite a bit of time for it to be built. I bought this directly from John Deere.

After a few months and about 50 hours, I have some observations.

1. The 865 is significantly underpowered. From what I understand, some EPA issues somehow restricted the size of the engine. I don't pretend to know or understand any of the detail. I would imagine this had something to do with pollution control. With that said, it is my opinion that John Deere should not have offered the diesel option in its current configuration (especially with the HVAC). Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to test drive any of these machines. I did a significant amount of research, but the 865 was entirely new at the time, and there wasn't much out there in terms of reviews (there still isnt). I thought that considering JD is an agricultural company and 95% diesel powered that the diesel was the way to go. I was wrong. Does JD even make a gas anything (other than the Home Depot mowers)? How can this diesel be such a dud. The engine itself its great, its just too small.

The top end is where the problems lie. On my reasonably steep long driveway, I can hit a maximum of 8 mph (in high gear). With the AC on I can reach a mind-blowing 4 mph. I don't know how they got the top speed of 32 mph, but I can't go more than 25 on a flat level road.

Our use of the 865 is an actual farm vehicle. We don't go sporting or mudding. This is for traveling the farm, pulling trailers, carrying hay and doing farm repairs. I have no interest in going fast, but at the same time, I did have this registered as a slow speed vehicle so that I could travel to my neighbor's farms. On the road, you will be the slowest vehicle by far. It's disconcerting when you have farm tractors passing you.

Speaking of tractors, I have a full-size tractor with a 35hp diesel engine. That tractor is a beast. When I was looking at the 865, I was using that horsepower as a mental comparison for the Gator. The JD is only a few HP less than the big tractor so that's why I thought 23 HP would be more than fine. I was wrong. Honestly, once you have the AC on, it feels like you've lost 30-50% of your overall power. We are often turning off the AC to do any real work (or go up a hill). From what I understand, there is an ac demand feature that cuts off the AC when it needs additional power. That feature has never worked on my unit.

This, to me, is the single most significant detriment of this machine. I don't know why they did this. I very much regret not having purchased the gas model. Sadly, there are no do-overs or Amazon returns for a JD Gator. If I could, I'd return this tomorrow for the gas model. Then I'd be extremely pleased. I will, however, tell you the fuel mileage on this is extraordinary. It goes forever on one tank.

The low end is impressive. It will pull you out of everything and feels like a tank. Albeit a very slow tank. I want to be clear that this is an excellent machine EXCEPT for the anemic diesel engine.

2. It's loud. For those of you that own a tractor, you will know exactly what it feels like to drive this Gator. It is clunky, loud and harsh. We had two-way radios professionally installed, and they are unusable. We have to stop and turn off the Gator to use the 2-way. Same with cell phones. You won't be having a conversation with this thing running. The M version doesn't have the headliner, but I can't imagine that will make that much difference as the sound is coming from the diesel engine below and behind. Maybe it would help some; I don't know. It truly feels like you are driving a tractor vehicle. Not a car-ish vehicle but a true, strong, loud vibrating tractor. It has that classic loud metal pinging sound of a diesel.

3. The John Deere "attachments" are fantastically made, but the instructions/manuals are horrific. I have purchased many of the attachments direct from JD. I purchased several wiring harnesses, winch mount, horn, wiper tank and pump, work lights, etc. The only one of them that the instructions matched anything even remotely close were the floor mats. Everything else would tell you to remove screws that weren't there, lift non-existent latches, connect wires to nondescript connectors and on and on. Oh and if you ever think you might need the wiper tank and pump do yourself a favor and get it installed from the factory. It literally doesn't fit. We had to remove half the side to get the tank installed. My staff and I are proper mechanics, not weekend warriors. That wiper tank was a joke. I'm sure you have experienced this, but the manual will show you a super zoomed in black and white picture which says, "remove this screw." No indication of the orientation of the picture or even what part of the vehicle you are supposed to be looking at. It's immensely frustrating.

4. Cost. This Gator is expensive. Extremely so. Now I did spend the money to buy the best. I didn't want to take any chances and buy some inferior vehicle. That's why we paid $25,000 cash to buy this. Moreover, this is where I get a bit upset. For 25k, they should have figured out the diesel situation. That's it. Everything else I would have been okay with, but this anemic engine is not what you expect in a 25k vehicle. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the diesel has an upcharge. Yes, it does, I just checked, $1,000 more for the diesel.

A few other small comments:

An instrument light dimmer would have been welcome. Yes, the cluster has that feature, but it's a series of button pushes. More of a one-time thing. Not something you would quickly adjust in the evening. That dimmer does not dim any of the switches or other controls.

Some kind of internal vent for releasing air pressure when closing the door. Because of the fantastic build and fitment of the Gator, the cab is tight. Like airtight. So if you have the windows closed you will have to slam the door to get it closed (often more than once). Just be careful if you have a slightly open window you will slam it and think you just ripped the door off the hinges. The is the kind of oversight that bothers me. This is JD not doing real-world testing. That is a fifty cent fix. A large vent grommet anywhere in the cab would have solved this. There are numerous reports of people having this issue.

The parking brake is poorly designed. The spring tension is so tight that when you pull the release lever, the pedal shoots forward at tremendous velocity. Any snow or mud on that pedal will fly right off and into your face. Also, the bang it makes is deafening. We now release the brake with our foot on the pedal to ease it up. It's another real-world testing oversight. Was this never tested? I don't get it.

Rear bumper/hitch. The rear hitch is buried under the truck. It's part of the axle, not the frame. None of our trailers have a tongue long enough to reach the ball without the trailer winch hitting the back of the bed or bumper. We opted for a long receiver extension. The problem with this is now you are adding significant torsion leverage to the axle by having the ball so far behind the axle (reducing your wight capacity). Now the latest problem is that when you tilt the bed, the bumper hits the ball, so we have to remove the hitch to use the dump bed. The bumper is part of the bed, not the frame, so the bumper moves with the tilt bed. Did anyone at JD connect a trailer to this when testing? What happened here? How do you build such a fantastic vehicle and not think that people will tow things with it? You have to get on your hands and knees to attach a trailer with the stock hitch location. No joke.

The odd "slip required" nature of the 4x4 switch. I'm sure there is a good mechanical reason for this, but I don't like it. The 4x4 switch doesn't merely turn on the 4x4. Your wheels have to start slipping before the 4x4 engages (even with the 4x4 switch on). If you are in a position where you need 4x4, the last thing you want is to start slipping. I don't get it. My cheapo Chinese (Kymco) side-by-side just goes into 4x4. You push the button, and you're in 4x4... the end.

The clunkiness of the transmission. This might be a diesel thing. The transmission is very herky-jerky. Loud clunks when the belt engages. Harsh starts and stops. The gear change lever is not smooth at all. It takes much force to get it into gear and its easy to not be in reverse then you hear that awful grind when you check its position. Not sure what happened with the whole transmission setup but it's not a pleasant experience at all.

I also have some compliments.

The forethought with the attachments/accessories is extremely good. They did make it reasonably easy to add things. I love the pre-installed wiring harnesses. They are very well made and laid out. It almost feels like JD wanted you to be able to enjoy upgrading your Gator. I very much appreciate that. It's been fun adding things.

The fitment of the machine is fantastic. Because I'm a wrench, I can appreciate how well built this machine is. I purchased the service manual. It goes into great detail and has been quite helpful with the wiring and attachments.

The controls and layout are excellent. PLENTY of blank rocker switches which again makes it a pleasure to add lights and other equipment.

The heat and AC are a godsend. It's wonderful to have that luxury.

I very much appreciate the non-gouging prices of the attachments. They make the prices reasonable enough that you might end up buying everything possible for your Gator. Turn signals, mirrors, horn, etc. (I have no rocker switch space left from all the add-ons)

Thank you for the olive/black combination. It's beautiful.

The seats are great. The power lift bed is sturdy and easy to use.

I cannot say enough good things about this Gator. It's terrific EXCEPT for the diesel engine. If I were rating the 835, it would be 4.5 stars. The 865 is getting two stars at best.

For those of you with the 835, congratulations, you got a great machine. For those with the 865, we got screwed. For me, It's a 25k regret for sure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Thanks
    I also bought a new gator last year, but I ended up going with the 835M HVAC and couldn't be happier. I really wanted the 865 but knew I'd be unhappy with the lack of power/speed. The E-brake and clunky gear shift are by far my biggest complaints. Other than that, it's hard to find too much I don't like.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    JD 5052R
    JD 5100M
    JD 835M XUV
    JD 650G Dozer
    Kubota KX-057
    Kubota ZD1211

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by copperline View Post
    I purchased the XUV865M in October, and it arrived mid-Jan. It took quite a bit of time for it to be built. I bought this directly from John Deere.

After a few months and about 50 hours, I have some observations.

1. The 865 is significantly underpowered. From what I understand, some EPA issues somehow restricted the size of the engine. I don't pretend to know or understand any of the detail. I would imagine this had something to do with pollution control. With that said, it is my opinion that John Deere should not have offered the diesel option in its current configuration (especially with the HVAC). Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to test drive any of these machines. I did a significant amount of research, but the 865 was entirely new at the time, and there wasn't much out there in terms of reviews (there still isnt). I thought that considering JD is an agricultural company and 95% diesel powered that the diesel was the way to go. I was wrong. Does JD even make a gas anything (other than the Home Depot mowers)? How can this diesel be such a dud. The engine itself its great, its just too small.

The top end is where the problems lie. On my reasonably steep long driveway, I can hit a maximum of 8 mph (in high gear). With the AC on I can reach a mind-blowing 4 mph. I don't know how they got the top speed of 32 mph, but I can't go more than 25 on a flat level road.

Our use of the 865 is an actual farm vehicle. We don't go sporting or mudding. This is for traveling the farm, pulling trailers, carrying hay and doing farm repairs. I have no interest in going fast, but at the same time, I did have this registered as a slow speed vehicle so that I could travel to my neighbor's farms. On the road, you will be the slowest vehicle by far. It's disconcerting when you have farm tractors passing you.

Speaking of tractors, I have a full-size tractor with a 35hp diesel engine. That tractor is a beast. When I was looking at the 865, I was using that horsepower as a mental comparison for the Gator. The JD is only a few HP less than the big tractor so that's why I thought 23 HP would be more than fine. I was wrong. Honestly, once you have the AC on, it feels like you've lost 30-50% of your overall power. We are often turning off the AC to do any real work (or go up a hill). From what I understand, there is an ac demand feature that cuts off the AC when it needs additional power. That feature has never worked on my unit.

This, to me, is the single most significant detriment of this machine. I don't know why they did this. I very much regret not having purchased the gas model. Sadly, there are no do-overs or Amazon returns for a JD Gator. If I could, I'd return this tomorrow for the gas model. Then I'd be extremely pleased. I will, however, tell you the fuel mileage on this is extraordinary. It goes forever on one tank.

The low end is impressive. It will pull you out of everything and feels like a tank. Albeit a very slow tank. I want to be clear that this is an excellent machine EXCEPT for the anemic diesel engine.

2. It's loud. For those of you that own a tractor, you will know exactly what it feels like to drive this Gator. It is clunky, loud and harsh. We had two-way radios professionally installed, and they are unusable. We have to stop and turn off the Gator to use the 2-way. Same with cell phones. You won't be having a conversation with this thing running. The M version doesn't have the headliner, but I can't imagine that will make that much difference as the sound is coming from the diesel engine below and behind. Maybe it would help some; I don't know. It truly feels like you are driving a tractor vehicle. Not a car-ish vehicle but a true, strong, loud vibrating tractor. It has that classic loud metal pinging sound of a diesel.

3. The John Deere "attachments" are fantastically made, but the instructions/manuals are horrific. I have purchased many of the attachments direct from JD. I purchased several wiring harnesses, winch mount, horn, wiper tank and pump, work lights, etc. The only one of them that the instructions matched anything even remotely close were the floor mats. Everything else would tell you to remove screws that weren't there, lift non-existent latches, connect wires to nondescript connectors and on and on. Oh and if you ever think you might need the wiper tank and pump do yourself a favor and get it installed from the factory. It literally doesn't fit. We had to remove half the side to get the tank installed. My staff and I are proper mechanics, not weekend warriors. That wiper tank was a joke. I'm sure you have experienced this, but the manual will show you a super zoomed in black and white picture which says, "remove this screw." No indication of the orientation of the picture or even what part of the vehicle you are supposed to be looking at. It's immensely frustrating.

4. Cost. This Gator is expensive. Extremely so. Now I did spend the money to buy the best. I didn't want to take any chances and buy some inferior vehicle. That's why we paid $25,000 cash to buy this. Moreover, this is where I get a bit upset. For 25k, they should have figured out the diesel situation. That's it. Everything else I would have been okay with, but this anemic engine is not what you expect in a 25k vehicle. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the diesel has an upcharge. Yes, it does, I just checked, $1,000 more for the diesel.

A few other small comments:

An instrument light dimmer would have been welcome. Yes, the cluster has that feature, but it's a series of button pushes. More of a one-time thing. Not something you would quickly adjust in the evening. That dimmer does not dim any of the switches or other controls.

Some kind of internal vent for releasing air pressure when closing the door. Because of the fantastic build and fitment of the Gator, the cab is tight. Like airtight. So if you have the windows closed you will have to slam the door to get it closed (often more than once). Just be careful if you have a slightly open window you will slam it and think you just ripped the door off the hinges. The is the kind of oversight that bothers me. This is JD not doing real-world testing. That is a fifty cent fix. A large vent grommet anywhere in the cab would have solved this. There are numerous reports of people having this issue.

The parking brake is poorly designed. The spring tension is so tight that when you pull the release lever, the pedal shoots forward at tremendous velocity. Any snow or mud on that pedal will fly right off and into your face. Also, the bang it makes is deafening. We now release the brake with our foot on the pedal to ease it up. It's another real-world testing oversight. Was this never tested? I don't get it.

Rear bumper/hitch. The rear hitch is buried under the truck. It's part of the axle, not the frame. None of our trailers have a tongue long enough to reach the ball without the trailer winch hitting the back of the bed or bumper. We opted for a long receiver extension. The problem with this is now you are adding significant torsion leverage to the axle by having the ball so far behind the axle (reducing your wight capacity). Now the latest problem is that when you tilt the bed, the bumper hits the ball, so we have to remove the hitch to use the dump bed. The bumper is part of the bed, not the frame, so the bumper moves with the tilt bed. Did anyone at JD connect a trailer to this when testing? What happened here? How do you build such a fantastic vehicle and not think that people will tow things with it? You have to get on your hands and knees to attach a trailer with the stock hitch location. No joke.

The odd "slip required" nature of the 4x4 switch. I'm sure there is a good mechanical reason for this, but I don't like it. The 4x4 switch doesn't merely turn on the 4x4. Your wheels have to start slipping before the 4x4 engages (even with the 4x4 switch on). If you are in a position where you need 4x4, the last thing you want is to start slipping. I don't get it. My cheapo Chinese (Kymco) side-by-side just goes into 4x4. You push the button, and you're in 4x4... the end.

The clunkiness of the transmission. This might be a diesel thing. The transmission is very herky-jerky. Loud clunks when the belt engages. Harsh starts and stops. The gear change lever is not smooth at all. It takes much force to get it into gear and its easy to not be in reverse then you hear that awful grind when you check its position. Not sure what happened with the whole transmission setup but it's not a pleasant experience at all.

I also have some compliments.

The forethought with the attachments/accessories is extremely good. They did make it reasonably easy to add things. I love the pre-installed wiring harnesses. They are very well made and laid out. It almost feels like JD wanted you to be able to enjoy upgrading your Gator. I very much appreciate that. It's been fun adding things.

The fitment of the machine is fantastic. Because I'm a wrench, I can appreciate how well built this machine is. I purchased the service manual. It goes into great detail and has been quite helpful with the wiring and attachments.

The controls and layout are excellent. PLENTY of blank rocker switches which again makes it a pleasure to add lights and other equipment.

The heat and AC are a godsend. It's wonderful to have that luxury.

I very much appreciate the non-gouging prices of the attachments. They make the prices reasonable enough that you might end up buying everything possible for your Gator. Turn signals, mirrors, horn, etc. (I have no rocker switch space left from all the add-ons)

Thank you for the olive/black combination. It's beautiful.

The seats are great. The power lift bed is sturdy and easy to use.

I cannot say enough good things about this Gator. It's terrific EXCEPT for the diesel engine. If I were rating the 835, it would be 4.5 stars. The 865 is getting two stars at best.

For those of you with the 835, congratulations, you got a great machine. For those with the 865, we got screwed. For me, It's a 25k regret for sure.
    Contact JD Clutch Doc at [email protected] we can help with the hard to shift issues, and hand tune the clutch to operate as it should.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    2006 JD 3520
    300CX
    I-Match
    Frontier BB2272
    Frontier AF11E-6 Way Snow Blade
    Frontier SS1079 Poly Spreader
    ABI Classic 50 Manure Spreader
    Speeco Model 65 PHD
    Land Pride- Rotary Deck Mower
    Rimguard 610 lbs
    Ballast Box 510 lbs
    Artillan Forks
    Kens Bolt On Hooks.
    2012 JD Gator 825i
    Deluxe Cab with heat

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:00 PM
    Thanks
    The hitch issue exists on the 825i too, and this has been out for 7 or 8 years.

I am also hearing the same complains for the Kawasaki Mule Pro DX & DXT. That it is too slow especially on hills (4-8mph), noisy, and lacking top speed. It uses a Yanmar 993cc diesel. They should have put a more powerful diesel engine in.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and wildbranch2007 like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebrafive For This Useful Post:

copperline†(05-27-2019)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks
    (I will, however, tell you the fuel mileage on this is extraordinary. It goes forever on one tank.)

I got the 835R and mine is very easy on gas also and with the 11 gallon tank it worries me that the gas will go bad if I fill it up all the way. I use it a few times a week and I take it down the township roads and open it up, it goes 48 MPH.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and wildbranch2007 like this.
    2019 835R Gator, JD Plow ( 72Ē hydraulic straight blade )
    2018 1025R SCUT, 120R Loader, HLA 42íĒ Pallet Forks, JD Ballast Box, Speeco Quick Hitch, JD 647 Rototiller, 3 pt. Finish Mower, 6 Ft. 3 Pt. Rear Blade - More to come.
    2016 JD X350 Lawn Tractor

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks
    It isnít a speed demon for sure, but you should be able to get your 30-32 mph on flat ground. Given that you canít reach the specified top speed, and can only get 4-8 mph up a steep hill, and your complaints of rough shifting and erratic clutch operation has me wondering if you have some clutch issues that should be investigated by your dealer.
    I donít notice much of a power loss with the AC. I remember noting on one of my threads that I could scale a steep hill at 11-12mph with the compressor off, and 9-10mph with the compressor on.

Given your complaint on noise, you may have been better served by the 865r. Iím not sure to the extent of the differences in interior finishes, but for sure the headliner, and back panel. I donít have any trouble talking on the phone or carrying on a conversation.

I also hate the fact that you have to start spinning before the 4wd engages. I find myself using the diff lock more often instead, and it seems to do the job most of the time.

It would be nice if it had about 35hp. There is a guy over on gatorforums.net that is turbocharging his 865r. He did his old 855d before and said it worked great.
    I donít mind the 32mph top and iím usually crawling around the woods and pastures at 4 or 5 mph, or running down the road at 15mph anyway, so I donít have much desire to turbo mine.
    All in all, I still prefer my diesel over the 50hp gas engine. I didnít like the 7000rpm revving compared to the little diesel putting around.

You had mentioned the cutout for the compressor when xtra power is needed. I think thatís just on the gas engine with computer controls. The diesel donít have any computer controls to tie into. If itís supposed to have it, it doesnít work on mine either

I also release my park brake while holding my foot on it. I have did that since day one.

Maybe you could trade it for a gasser without taking too much of a beating.
    DRobinson, Tomfive, rtgt and 1 others like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    07-07-2019 @ 06:25 AM
    Thanks
    I posted an extremely condensed version of my review on the John Deere website under the XUV865M model. They only seem to allow 300 or so characters. Not sure how anyone would do a decent review with barely a paragraph.

Anyway, they did say that they "approved" the review.

"Your review has been approved!

Your opinion is very important to us and the John Deere community. Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Crossover Utility Vehicle. Your review has been moderated and is live on our site."

Interestingly enough, its not only not there, but i cant find even one review on any of the 835 or 865 series models.

Below is the condensed review

Severely underpowered

I have written a full, in depth review of the 865M on several of the John Deere Forums. JD doesn't give you nearly enough room here to write a comprehensive review. Cons: Massively underpowered (this should never have gone to market). There are numerous complaints about how bad the diesel version is. Emergency brake is poorly designed (will shoot mud in your face) Lack of cab pressure venting Shockingly loud. (certainly the diesel engine) Poorly designed rear hitch system Poor 4x4 integration (you have to already be slipping for the 4x4 to engage) Extremely expensive, especially for such a small engine. Pros: Excellent attachements/accessories (horrible instructions) Excellent design and build of the vehicle. Comfortable seats Good upgradeability Olive/Black paint is beautiful. This would have gotten a 4.5 stars if it wasn't for the anemic diesel engine. I can not stress enough how bad this diesel configuration is.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    I am another pleased 835M HVAC owner. Yes I've had a few issues, but I think that is when you have a great dealer to take care of the issues. Sloan's in Effingham IL has taken care of me each time I had an issue. New vehicles you some time think that adjustments need to be made. I am seriously thinking about get an additional 2 year warranty for mine. Will I need it maybe not, but I am getting too old to be crawling around under these things to fix stuff.
    Bill
    2018 JD Gator 835m
    2017 Kubota BX2680
    2017 Kubota F2690

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by copperline View Post
    I posted an extremely condensed version of my review on the John Deere website under the XUV865M model. They only seem to allow 300 or so characters. Not sure how anyone would do a decent review with barely a paragraph.

Anyway, they did say that they "approved" the review.

"Your review has been approved!

Your opinion is very important to us and the John Deere community. Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Crossover Utility Vehicle. Your review has been moderated and is live on our site."

Interestingly enough, its not only not there, but i cant find even one review on any of the 835 or 865 series models.

Below is the condensed review

Severely underpowered

I have written a full, in depth review of the 865M on several of the John Deere Forums. JD doesn't give you nearly enough room here to write a comprehensive review. Cons: Massively underpowered (this should never have gone to market). There are numerous complaints about how bad the diesel version is. Emergency brake is poorly designed (will shoot mud in your face) Lack of cab pressure venting Shockingly loud. (certainly the diesel engine) Poorly designed rear hitch system Poor 4x4 integration (you have to already be slipping for the 4x4 to engage) Extremely expensive, especially for such a small engine. Pros: Excellent attachements/accessories (horrible instructions) Excellent design and build of the vehicle. Comfortable seats Good upgradeability Olive/Black paint is beautiful. This would have gotten a 4.5 stars if it wasn't for the anemic diesel engine. I can not stress enough how bad this diesel configuration is.
    JD seems to have a problem getting their reviews to show up. If you reply to that email saying it was approved, and tell them itís not there, they will correct it.
    Although there are not any 865m reviews posted, there are two 5 star reviews for the 865r. I think if you add the interior panels that you will be happy with the noise.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and copperline like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:00 PM
    Thanks
    I appreciate the review. I was considering a Kawasaki Mule Pro, diesel powered. I found an unsold 2016 for $3K off. Now I know why it's unsold. CROSSED off my want list!!!!

My question is WHY do they (Deere, Kawasaki) NOT source a more powerful diesel? We know they exist!!!! Is it cost? Size? Required emissions? Rest of drivetrain will not hold up?

They would have to DOUBLE the power for me to want one.
    arlen, rtgt and copperline like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebrafive For This Useful Post:

copperline†(05-29-2019)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com