Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Oil change on 835R

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-08-2019 @ 07:37 PM
    Thanks

Oil change on 835R

I did my first oil change today on my gator and it took me forever to get the factory installed oil filter off. I used every imaginable oil filter tool I had including the one that goes on a ratchet that is the size of the back of the filter, the strap style that also fastens on the end of a ratchet and other traditional oil filter wrench’s. After I was going to give it a break I tried my larger channel lock wrench and it finally broke loose. I was just wondering what you guys used the first time you had to take the factory tightened oil filter off. I should have posted this before I tackled this task but maybe the next guy will have better luck.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    2019 835R Gator, JD Plow ( 72” hydraulic straight blade )
    2018 1025R SCUT, 120R Loader, HLA 42’” Pallet Forks, JD Ballast Box, Speeco Quick Hitch, JD 647 Rototiller, 3 pt. Finish Mower, 6 Ft. 3 Pt. Rear Blade - More to come.
    2016 JD X350 Lawn Tractor

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,986 Times in 2,159 Posts
    It’s not only Gators that are affected by this. I think everyone has done the same as you - did what you had to to get the factory filter off.

It is what it is.
    Gizmo2, bhill, arlen and 3 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Thanks
    I have a filter wrench that is basically a Channel Lock with big round jaws. Once you crush it, you can get enough force to turn it. My issue with my gator if I recall, it was damn tight AND only had a couple degrees of access.
    It will be easier next time.
    I have to change the oil in the front and rear end soon. I’m sure that will be a treat.
    Gizmo2, North585, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    I have a filter wrench that is basically a Channel Lock with big round jaws. Once you crush it, you can get enough force to turn it. My issue with my gator if I recall, it was damn tight AND only had a couple degrees of access.
    It will be easier next time.
    I have to change the oil in the front and rear end soon. I’m sure that will be a treat.
    I think I’ll have to look for the channel lock filter wrench since I had to use the regular channel locks to break it free. I only hand tightened it this time so it’s got to be easier next time. Let me know how the front and rear oil change goes and if you have any suggestions after doing it.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2018 1025R SCUT, 120R Loader, HLA 42’” Pallet Forks, JD Ballast Box, Speeco Quick Hitch, JD 647 Rototiller, 3 pt. Finish Mower, 6 Ft. 3 Pt. Rear Blade - More to come.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    I don't have a gator, but generally speaking of oil filter wrenches. I like a rubber strap oil filter wrench. I clean the filter and rubber strap with alcohol before I use it, so it will have the best grip. As long as their is room for it around where the filter is located, it has always works great for me.
    North585 and Deerefarmer like this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    07-12-2019 @ 09:33 AM
    Thanks
    Well I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who had a problem with the first oil change on the 835 (mine is a 835m). I couldn't get it off and finally had to call the dealer, he came by with a set of different size oil filter (caps) and found one that fit tight enough to get it off.

Going to have them do the 100 hour and do a checkup of the vehicle. They will pick it up and deliver for free. They are 60 miles away. Can't beat the service at Sloan's John Deere.
    bhill, BigJim55 and Deerefarmer like this.
    Bill
    2018 JD Gator 835m
    2017 Kubota BX2680
    2017 Kubota F2690

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylh View Post
    I don't have a gator, but generally speaking of oil filter wrenches. I like a rubber strap oil filter wrench. I clean the filter and rubber strap with alcohol before I use it, so it will have the best grip. As long as their is room for it around where the filter is located, it has always works great for me.
    I like using the rubber strap ones also and I tried it on this one with no luck. Like you mentioned there wasn’t much room around it. You could get the strap around it but you needed to get a tight grip on it from the get go and be able to move it without much play.
    BigJim55 likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 628SCF View Post
    Well I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who had a problem with the first oil change on the 835 (mine is a 835m). I couldn't get it off and finally had to call the dealer, he came by with a set of different size oil filter (caps) and found one that fit tight enough to get it off.

Going to have them do the 100 hour and do a checkup of the vehicle. They will pick it up and deliver for free. They are 60 miles away. Can't beat the service at Sloan's John Deere.
    I also had the ratchet filter cap and it fit snug but it kept slipping off. When I got my channel locks around it it had a firm enough grip to where it wouldn’t slip and I could move it enough to start turning it. I think Arlen was right as far as buying the channel locks oil filter wrench for this application. Sounds like you bought yours from a good dealer and they are more than willing to make sure that you are happy. I hope you didn’t let them put it on extra tight again as I only tightened mine as hard as I could by hand so next time I won’t have such a difficult time getting it off 😁
    arlen and BigJim55 like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerefarmer View Post
    I also had the ratchet filter cap and it fit snug but it kept slipping off. When I got my channel locks around it it had a firm enough grip to where it wouldn’t slip and I could move it enough to start turning it. I think Arlen was right as far as buying the channel locks oil filter wrench for this application. Sounds like you bought yours from a good dealer and they are more than willing to make sure that you are happy. I hope you didn’t let them put it on extra tight again as I only tightened mine as hard as I could by hand so next time I won’t have such a difficult time getting it off
    I have one like THIS that I bought at napa. It's really only good for removal, but that's OK. It also works good for the cogged locking rings for fuel filters.
    Last edited by arlen; 06-04-2019 at 03:21 PM.
    Gizmo2, BigJim55 and Deerefarmer like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    07-12-2019 @ 09:33 AM
    Thanks
    Dealer told me that he didn't believe they put oil on the rubber seal on the factory filter. He thought that might cause the problem with getting it off. Anyway dealer got it off and I am happy about it.
    BigJim55 and Deerefarmer like this.
    Bill
    2018 JD Gator 835m
    2017 Kubota BX2680
    2017 Kubota F2690

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast