Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 865M 4x4 issues

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-07-2019 @ 06:25 AM
    Thanks

865M 4x4 issues

I don't know if there is something I'm missing but you push the 4x4 switch and thats it right? Because that sure didn't work for me.

Was checking on some irrigation after a heavy rain with my 7 year old daughter and we got stuck. Pushed the 4x4 switch and... nothing. Front tires never moved an inch. Tried the transfer lock and nothing different. I tried forward, reverse, high and low and those front wheels never turned at all.

I was already upset that this JD is a underpowered expensive piece of garbage but now this is just too much. We had to walk a mile in the mud to get a tractor to pull it out.

I absolutely abhor this machine
    bhill, BigJim55 and JD4044M like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,945 Times in 2,908 Posts
    Using Four Wheel Drive

4WD On-Demand enables the front wheels to drive, but torque will not be applied until rear wheels begin to slip.

4WD On-Demand greatly increases traction and may make dangerously sloped terrain accessible, increasing possibility of a tip-over.
    Use extra caution when driving on slopes. Use 4WD On-Demand when driving on slopes to increase traction.
    Use 4WD On-Demand when driving on icy, wet or graveled surfaces; reduce speed to avoid skidding and loss of steering control.
    Engaging 4WD On-Demand when the machine is stopped and the rear wheels are spinning will damage the gears.

• Push in on top of 2WD/4WD switch to enable the 4WD On-Demand system.
    • Push in on bottom of switch to disable the system.

Front implements may cause decreased traction at the rear wheels resulting in loss of control. Always operate machine with 4WD On-Demand engaged when front implements are attached.

Tips for operating 4WD On-Demand:

Occasionally the 4WD On-Demand system will not disengage after a change in vehicle travel direction. This is known as ďwedging.Ē If this does occur, the vehicle will exhibit higher than usual steering efforts and driveline wind-up. To disengage (un-wedge) the system, reverse the direction of vehicle travel.

• Maintain recommended front and rear tire pressures to ensure optimum performance on all surface conditions.
    • Disable 4WD On-Demand when driving machine on paved or hard packed surfaces to increase front tire life and reduce drive train wear.
    bhill and BigJim55 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

jd.rasentrac†(07-05-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes thats exactly correct and everything was slipping. It just would not go into 4x4 for anything.

I have no idea how a brand new machine like this can already be showing problems.
    Gizmo2, BigJim55 and JD4044M like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by copperline View Post
    Yes thats exactly correct and everything was slipping. It just would not go into 4x4 for anything.

I have no idea how a brand new machine like this can already be showing problems.
    I have no clue how the 4WD actually works, I'd call the dealer.
    DRobinson, BigJim55 and JD4044M like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Thanks
    Yes thats exactly correct and everything was slipping......
    Were you stopped, with the rear wheels spinning or were you stopped without the rear wheels spinning?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2006 JD 3520
    300CX
    I-Match
    Frontier BB2272
    Frontier AF11E-6 Way Snow Blade
    Frontier SS1079 Poly Spreader
    ABI Classic 50 Manure Spreader
    Speeco Model 65 PHD
    Land Pride- Rotary Deck Mower
    Rimguard 610 lbs
    Ballast Box 510 lbs
    Artillan Forks
    Kens Bolt On Hooks.
    2012 JD Gator 825i
    Deluxe Cab with heat

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    I donít know how these systems work....but I know with my pickup with the automatic locking hubs you have to be moving for them to engage. Letís say you park somewhere in 2WD. Come back and itís a sheet of ice and you canít move an inch in 2WD. The 4WD will not engage if the front wheels canít move a couple feet forward.

Maybe the same thing is happening here?
    BigJim55 and JD4044M like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bhill View Post
    Were you stopped, with the rear wheels spinning or were you stopped without the rear wheels spinning?
    We were driving, stopped to check something, got back in after a bit and never got traction. I wasn't expecting for the tires to have gotten bogged down at that moment. So yes it was stopped.

If the front wheels need to be moving for them to lock in then that really stinks.

On my old Kymco when you pressed the 4x4 you heard them activate and that was that. None of the "must slip first" stuff.
    Gizmo2, Zebrafive and BigJim55 like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    We were driving, stopped to check something, got back in after a bit and never got traction. I wasn't expecting for the tires to have gotten bogged down at that moment. So yes it was stopped.

If the front wheels need to be moving for them to lock in then that really stinks.

On my old Kymco when you pressed the 4x4 you heard them activate and that was that. None of the "must slip first" stuff.
    I've said it before on here
    Some reading... https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...-engaging.html
    DRobinson, bhill and BigJim55 like this.
    Keith

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I donít know how these systems work....but I know with my pickup with the automatic locking hubs you have to be moving for them to engage. Letís say you park somewhere in 2WD. Come back and itís a sheet of ice and you canít move an inch in 2WD. The 4WD will not engage if the front wheels canít move a couple feet forward.

Maybe the same thing is happening here?
    yelp i found out the hard way on my 79 ford f-250-that even with locking hubs(the old ones u had to turn by hand) that u had to have the truck move then to engage the short shaft inside. i got stuck on the job one day-got out turned hubs in--got back inside--pulled lever on transfer case-and nuthing. ended up from spinning it messed up threads on the short shaft-this was all after we got my truck unstuck--and it probably hadn't helped that up to that time-i had never taken the hubs apart to clean and replace the old grease inside there.

after that time and too this day-i always shift to neutral to put my truck into 4 wheel drive-if i was going down the road i always slid the tranny into neutral. so far -fingers crossed i have never had any troubles.

on my 835R--i find i used the rear diff lock a lot last winter while plowing snow. but i also had 4 wheel drive on too.
    as far as tire pressure i jack the fronts up to 30 lbs on account of how heavy the new plow felt--and it steered a whole better going over to my aunts place-at 14 psi-front end leaned bad on curves--rears i set at 24 psi with the 100 lbs added in bed for extra weight-or ballast for the plow on.

to the OP-i would think that if rear tires was spinning then front tires should have helped spin--i say take it to the dealer--maybe a faulty switch-sensor broke--something is wrong

good luck-and let su know what u make out on it.
    etcallhome likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    yelp i found out the hard way on my 79 ford f-250-that even with locking hubs(the old ones u had to turn by hand) that u had to have the truck move then to engage the short shaft inside. i got stuck on the job one day-got out turned hubs in--got back inside--pulled lever on transfer case-and nuthing. ended up from spinning it messed up threads on the short shaft-this was all after we got my truck unstuck--and it probably hadn't helped that up to that time-i had never taken the hubs apart to clean and replace the old grease inside there.

after that time and too this day-i always shift to neutral to put my truck into 4 wheel drive-if i was going down the road i always slid the tranny into neutral. so far -fingers crossed i have never had any troubles.

good luck-and let su know what u make out on it.
    On the topic of Ford F250 hubs:

I've had the front hubs fail to engage on old yeller too (lack of maintenance ) sometimes jacking the front up and hand turning the wheel will get the hub to engage. The grease gets hard and the engagement spring in the hub is not strong enough to engage the hub internals to the axle end.

Now I leave my hubs locked all winter. Fulltime 4x4 trucks of that era came with hubs you could not unlock. Then years later Ford changed to auto locking hubs. Then they went to an axle disconnect. Now I think hubs are non unlocking and the transfer case is where the engagement for 4x4 happens. I glad I have a 40+ year old truck.

OK, back to topic
    BigJim55 likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements