No spark to JD Gator 6 x 4 - help?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: No spark to JD Gator 6 x 4 - help?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-23-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks

No spark to JD Gator 6 x 4 - help?

Hi friends - once again I need to ask you for help. While driving the gator to the neighbors yesterday the engine stalled and wouldn't start again. Had to tow it in. Here's what little info I can provide: Engine cranks strong but it won't fire. Fuel pump is engaging, filter seems fine. Tested at plugs and problem seems to be no spark at EITHER cylinder. We put a tester on the plug end and cranked engine and nothing. Pulled leads off what we think is the primary coil (not sure) and used volt meter. Resulted in 12v coming through line when engine was turned over. Checked all fuses under dash.

1) Does this then point to the ignition module? if so how do you test it?

2)Is there a way to test primary coil? And would you test this while trying to start or unbolt from housing and remove to test?

3)Could there be an issue with the pulse coils?

The fact that there isn't a spark at either cylinder seems suspicious? Its been running great so its not like only one has been firing. Any suggestions on where to test next is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    Laura
    JD Gator 6x4 (gas), JD 1070 with 80 front end loader and 72 mower, JD F-911, JD RX-73, (2)JD RX-75, JD Brushhog, Woods landscape rake, Woods back blade

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Thanks
    Did you replace the plugs?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kbar For This Useful Post:

Lauraleigh(08-17-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Hi Kbar - Thanks, but there is nothing registering at the end of the plug wire that would create a spark. We did check plugs and they look ok, but again nothing is reaching them to tell them to fire.
    JD Gator 6x4 (gas), JD 1070 with 80 front end loader and 72 mower, JD F-911, JD RX-73, (2)JD RX-75, JD Brushhog, Woods landscape rake, Woods back blade

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Thanks
    I know NOTHING specific about Gator engines, but I used to work on mowers, lawn tractors, etc. so I'll make a couple of suggestions.

It sounds like the engine just quit with no warning, no noise, no nothing. To me, that seems like it's a good chance it's the coil. I've seen them break down when they get warm, but sometimes after the engine cools back off, they'd work again.

Another possibility is that there's something grounding out the coil. Did you check for any bare wires that might be grounding to the frame?

One long shot could be that your ignition switch somehow went bad and it's grounding out the ignition wire inside the switch. I just had to replace a switch on my Gravely for something similar.

How are you testing the plugs? Harbor Freight has a decent one for not much money. I know that you can hold the plug against the engine block and look for the spark, but I've found that these work better, at least for me.

Good luck on this! I really admire your tenacity in tracking down your problems with the Gator!!
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

Lauraleigh(08-17-2019)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Mark02tj! I can go over the wires again and see by chance if there is a bare spot. All good suggestions! We're using a tester that hooks into the plug end and onto the plug with a light in the center that illuminates if there's pwr going to the spark plug, nothing registers.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could test the ignition coils? In a way, it seems unlikely that they BOTH went bad at the same time. Which points more to the Igniter. Talked with the dealership this morning and they were very generous with their advice, but ultimately (and understandably) recommend I bring it in. I'd like to tinker a bit more but will schedule an apt it if need be. A new Igniter runs $225.00, which is fine if that's it, but too expensive to randomly throw parts at this machine. Would love it if anyone out there had an idea as to how to test the igniter?

Thanks!
    Laura

Interestingly, this machine starts in reverse, drive or neutral so while the neutral switch out is something to consider, I'm inclined to rule that out.

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Thanks
    Is there a way to bypass the neutral switch?

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to check the coil. You might be able to call Autozone or some place like that to see if they can check it.

Best of luck on this! I'll be curious to see what you figure out.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

Lauraleigh(08-23-2019)

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Thanks
    Lauraleigh,

Attached is an excerpt from the TM 1518 on the electrical system of the earlier 6x4 units -- not sure what year your Gator is... Maybe this will be of some help. There are some diagnostic tests on page 299.

6x4 electrical from TM1518.pdf

Once you review the document, post back here with any questions you have.

Chuck
    mark02tj and kylew like this.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuckv For This Useful Post:

jd.rasentrac(08-20-2019), Lauraleigh(08-23-2019), Zebrafive(08-18-2019)

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckv View Post
    Lauraleigh,

Attached is an excerpt from the TM 1518 on the electrical system of the earlier 6x4 units -- not sure what year your Gator is... Maybe this will be of some help. There are some diagnostic tests on page 299.

Chuck
    The PDF link isn't working
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kylew For This Useful Post:

Lauraleigh(08-23-2019)

16. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Thanks
    Kyle,

I was able to open it even from your quotation window... It is not a link but an embedded document. Try left-clicking on it and following the dialog box instructions to either open or save the PDF document...

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuckv; 08-18-2019 at 10:02 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckv For This Useful Post:

Lauraleigh(08-23-2019)

18. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckv View Post
    Lauraleigh,

Chuck
    Very helpful, thanks for posting!
    They should start with page 298. Test for power to each coil and the ignition module as directed.
    mark02tj likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast