• 1 Post By BigJim55
  • 2 Post By 628SCF

Thread: Time for me to decide on Extended Warranty on 835M

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 09:18 AM
    Thanks

Time for me to decide on Extended Warranty on 835M

Well end of next month I will have a year on my 835M HVAC. Really no issues to speak of, but?

With this be a first year for the AC, I am leaning toward purchasing the extended. I believe the extra 2 years would take care of any problems that might occur with the new model. You never know.

I've read so many pro and con positions on extended warranties, that in the end I guess it is your own personal feelings about it. It feels kind of nice if you have a problem, give the dealer a call and it will be fixed (my dealer picks up and delivers at no charge).
    bhill and BigJim55 like this.
    Bill
    2018 JD Gator 835m
    2017 Kubota BX2680
    2017 Kubota F2690

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,988 Times in 2,945 Posts
    How much $ for the extended?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,426 Posts
    Have you read the actual warranty document for the factory warranty, so you are aware of what's covered and also what the exclusions are of the warranty?

It appears the Gator has a 1 year or 1,000 hour warranty.

Here is the link to the warranty document.

https://www.deere.com/assets/pdfs/co...US%20FINAL.PDF

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,426 Posts
    I am near the end of the two year warranty period (base warranty, not the power train warranty which is 6 years) so Deere has been sending me the information regularly for the last 4 months.

How many hours have you put on your Gator?

Have you had any issues thus far which required any warranty work?

Does the extended warranty offer for the Gator's have the same options as it does for the SCUTS, where you can choose to extend it 1 year, 2, years, 3 years or 4 years, with total machine hours also a limiting factor?

Here's how I look at this issue;

1. What is my typical use of the machine been in terms of hours per year? In my case, 200 hours per year.

2. Does the extended warranty have limitations where if my total machine hours exceed a certain number, the warranty would expire due to hours before months? Yes, see details below.

3. What have my warranty repairs been thus far? A windshield which cost about $600 because it shattered when the loader bucket level indicator impacted the corner of the glass. Other than the windshield, I have had one hydraulic hose which was replaced, at a cost of about $80 if I had to purchase it.

Here is the offer John Deere has made me for my 1025R;

1 additional year or up to 600 total hours, (whichever comes first) $778
    2 additional years or up to 800 hours, $874
    3 additional years or up to 1,000 hours, $1,284
    4 additional years or up to 1,000 hours, $1,686

They allow you to break the total purchase cost down into 4 equal payments which would be

1 year - $195.50 (for 4 consecutive months for each of the following payments)
    2 year - $219.50
    3 year - $322.00
    4 year - $422.50

While this makes the bite size payments a little easier to "swallow", its still the same cost, just spread out to help with cash flow.

My analysis of the offer
    At the end of my warranty, I will have put an average of 200 hours per year on my tractor. My tractor will have 400(+ or -) hours when the extended warranty would commence.

That means that at the end of the 1 year extension, I am very likely to have hit the 600 hour limit before the 12 months were completed.

That also means that at the end of the 2 year extension, I am likely to be at 800 hours

3 Years, I am likely to be at 1,000 hours (400 hours plus 3 more years of 200 hours per year = 1,000 total hours)

4 years, I would likely hit the 1,000 hour limit in year 3 or even earlier, which would mean for me, the 4 year warranty would be a particularly poor bet as I am likely to be paying a premium for a year of coverage which I will not achieve due to the accumulated hours.

In my case, the only option which would make sense based upon historical actual machine use /hours, would be the 3 year option, up to a total of 1,000 hours for the $1,294 purchase price.

My decision
    When I look at the use of these machines which others have experienced, I am not inclined to feel the $1,294 is a good use of my money for the peace of mind. Obviously, anything can happen. I do know that the pricing of these warranties is done to assure John Deere a profit on the sale of these as a component of their business.

Does that mean I will have zero mechanical claims or an amount which would exceed the price paid for the extended warranty ($1,294)? In my experience, its likely the costs to maintain and repair my machine during the same period for expenses which would be covered under the extended warranty would economically favor John Deere.

With that said, its also the comfort level of the owner in coming up with the money to make any repairs if you don't have the extended warranty.

I look at this and say "Eventually, I am going to have to be "self insured" for repairs when the warranty, either basic or extended, expires. I feel I would be better off to save the $1,294 and have it towards any repairs, if needed.

I will also openly admit that I bought a "Demo TV" from best Buy and as part of the purchase, to encourage me to buy the set which had been delivered to a customer but they couldn't get it in the location where the buyer wanted it located, the store manager included an extended warranty at no cost.

Sure enough, in the last month of the extended warranty, the TV died and under the terms of that warranty, once they were given their opportunities to repair the TV and were unable, they had to give me credit for the new purchase price of the TV towards a replacement. I used a portion of the warranty proceeds to purchase a much larger TV and a small amount to purchase another extended warranty. Sure enough, the second TV died under the extended warranty and I got credit for another new television.

I did not purchase an extended warranty on that TV and its been at least 5 years and the TV runs excessively and hasn't had any issues. At this point, if it did break, I would throw it out and buy a new one as TV's keep dropping and dropping in price. So, while I came out very good on the TV warranty, the reason I even had the extended warranty coverage was because it was an inducement to purchase the set at the very beginning.

Such is not the case with Gators and Tractors, they aren't dropping and dropping in price. Plus they aren't giving away extended warranties, in fact, far from it.

In Summary, Each person has to do what they are comfortable with. In my case, unless something dramatic happens before the end of October, I plan on passing on the extended warranty offer and keeping my cash and dealing with any repairs my self.

If someone is unable to perform any of their own repairs and would have to send the vehicle to the shop for any repairs, then perhaps they want to look at this differently than some one who can handle most repairs on their own.
    BigJim55, Herminator and Yank like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,099 Posts
    628cf--i bought the extra 2 yr warranty on my gator(aka-the Cadillac)

why did i buy it? well because of all the thumping idot lights that come on in the dash when u first start it up-and............the A/C stuff-heater-etc. just scares the bejesus out of me if something might burn out on it.

now i was told it is only good up to 600 hrs or 2 yrs which ever comes first-well it will be 3 yrs now-but still only 600 hrs total is what the saleslady told me. i still bought-she claimed its covered front to back-except brake shoes, and the belt.

cost;$700 something-i think it was $724

628--i have been searching for ur tiires u bought for urs-i found the pics u showed us-and i coulda swore u posted a link to them-but here is what i had saved is this what u bought??https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N14L1CW...ctortalkcon-20

i have to go to town tomorrow and want to sto at tire shop to see if he can get these in-so can u tell me if i saved the correct link. thanks
    Gizmo2 and Herminator like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Product Description Part # Price Quantity Subtotal
    These Items Have Shipped from our Winchester, KY warehouse.
    Tusk Terrabite Radial Tire 27x9-14 Medium/Hard Terrain 1630210026
    $109.50 2 $219.00
    Tusk Terrabite Radial Tire 27x11-14 Medium/Hard Terrain 1630210027
    $124.50 2 $249.00

Bigjim bought these tires from Rocky Mountain ATV.

Bill
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.
    Bill
    2018 JD Gator 835m
    2017 Kubota BX2680
    2017 Kubota F2690

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 628SCF For This Useful Post:

BigJim55(09-12-2019)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,099 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 628SCF View Post
    Product Description Part # Price Quantity Subtotal
    These Items Have Shipped from our Winchester, KY warehouse.
    Tusk Terrabite Radial Tire 27x9-14 Medium/Hard Terrain 1630210026
    $109.50 2 $219.00
    Tusk Terrabite Radial Tire 27x11-14 Medium/Hard Terrain 1630210027
    $124.50 2 $249.00

Bigjim bought these tires from Rocky Mountain ATV.

Bill
    thanks for the info---rocky mountain's price beats Amazon by 4 bucks yet. if i didn't have the amazon credit card i could save another 50 bucks on the price. called my regular tire shop and nope they can't get these ones-so i'm currently waiting on another shop to call me back as i told them i only want this brand. probably gonna have to get mine the same way u did.

my big horns are wore down by half now with around 1,200 miles on them, and i swear they are getting louder now more than ever.
    are u still as happy now-as u was when u first installed them?
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I still really like them.

I was even thinking about regular highway tires if available next time. I don't go offroading or anything like that. Push snow during the winter but that is it.

Probably going to get the extended warranty in the next couple of weeks. I don't like working on anything anymore.

Bill
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.
    Bill
    2018 JD Gator 835m
    2017 Kubota BX2680
    2017 Kubota F2690

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements