• 2 Post By Chuckv
  • 1 Post By 56FordGuy

Thread: 6x4 diesel gator motor dead

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-14-2015 @ 11:16 PM
    Thanks

6x4 diesel gator motor dead

While riding gator around, oil light comes on, so we head home, and the way home it keeps losing power, so we get to driveway it dies, so we push it on home. Get home only to find all motor bolts broke off and it looks like one of them pushed a hole through oil filter, so that's why we lost all oil and power. Now we bought new filter and put more oil back in it, it keeps pushing out black smoke, will not stay started, it just chugs and smells like raw fuel burning. Help, does it sound like I need a new motor?
    BigJim55 and eyeboltman like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poole32 View Post
    While riding gator around, oil light comes on, so we head home, and the way home it keeps losing power, so we get to driveway it dies, so we push it on home. Get home only to find all motor bolts broke off and it looks like one of them pushed a hole through oil filter, so that's why we lost all oil and power. Now we bought new filter and put more oil back in it, it keeps pushing out black smoke, will not stay started, it just chugs and smells like raw fuel burning. Help, does it sound like I need a new motor?
    I'd say you're in for some significant repair expense. When the oil light comes on you're expected to shut the engine off. This is a perfect example of a simple fix turning into an expensive lesson. Too bad.

John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:35 PM
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear of your difficulties. The Yanmar diesels are very reliable engines but without oil they will certainly self destruct and from your description it will be substantial internal damage. Plan on several thousand dollars -- you might divide the distance you went with the oil light on by the repair bill to see how many dollars per foot it cost...

Here is the section from the TM1518 that covers the diesel engine:
    diesel gator engine section from TM1518.pdf

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuckv; 06-13-2015 at 03:16 PM.
    BigJim55 and davidiowa like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,086 Posts
    When you began losing power, odds are the engine had run out of oil and was seizing from a lack of lubrication. Occasionally when that happens, you can let things cool down and the engine will loosen up and turn over. The black smoke you're getting is unburned/ partially burned fuel which would also explain the fuel smell you said you had.

Unfortunately, it sounds like there may be severe damage to the cylinder walls and piston. The only way to know how bad it really is will be to tear it down and inspect it. I'm afraid you may find the cost of repairing the Gator will be more money than you can buy a used Gator for.

I'm curious which bolts backed out. Is there any way you could post some photos for us?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:57 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poole32 View Post
    Poole32, sorry to hear of ur bad forturen , but I bet next time oil light comes on anything, ur shut it down now and look things over. Now I hate to ask, but------------is gator for sale now? big jim

8. Top | #6
    Banned
    Last Online
    06-23-2019 @ 04:52 PM
    Thanks
    Yep, you're done, oil light is there for a reason....

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements