Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Looking at new ride

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,546 Posts

Looking at new ride

Wife bought a 12 xuv 550 S4 3 yrs ago , have about 185 hrs and it has been a fair to good machine. Been thinking of trading it or selling straight out and buying something else.
    Been looking at either the Honda 700 Pioneer 4 seater or Polaris Ranger Crew 570. Main thing looking at getting a water cooled and maybe power steering, and staying around the 11-13000 range.

I know not JD
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,469 Posts
    Have you looked at the Kubota RTV's?
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Some what ,,,If we do this ,, after today looking at both machines it would be the Honda Hands down.. With a 3 speed transmission same as driving a car. No comparison to the CVT .

After getting home this afternoon , my dealer called me and gave her trade in amount. So she asked me why I was wanting to trade and I told her because of the SH_ _ e motor or carb on the motor that is a PIA .
    She says wait a minute ,,"What are you talking about , why didn't I tell her when it was in warranty. " Told her I had been talking to the shop foreman and he claimed he or JD wouldn't and couldn't do anything to replace the carb or the engine"

So after a few more minutes of telling her how the machine was acting and not idling at times backfiring at times she is contacting her TM OR what ever her Fat. Tech is called.

I told her wasn't asking for a free fix but this thing has run this way since new.

So now waiting to her from her and see what or if JD will do anything. If you try to tramp the gas pedal it will back fire sometime stalls , or might run might not.

Oh and I've run just about every type of gas treatment since day one ,even running prem fuel now instead of reg see no differences.

It will be 3yrs old Fri of this week and , maybe the right person here on site can get Deere to do what they should have 35 mos ago. I'm even willing to pay some amount just don't think we should have to pay for a deft B&S engine.

I'm done.
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 2,866 Posts
    etcallhome, Suppose they get it fixed, would you keep it?
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 989 Posts
    Sounds like you'd be happy with the rig if it were running properly. Looks like you've got a v-twin engine on the 12 JD XUV 550 S4. Before I'd do anything rash and expensive there are a couple of things I'd check:

• Remove both spark plugs and check condition and gap. Insulators should be near white to light tan color. Check gap to spec and adjust if necessary. If the plugs are dark / black replace them.
    • Check spark using a spark tester which is an adjustable gap test plug. You can buy one for $15 at an auto parts store. You should be getting a nice blue spark and should have 15-25 KV potential.
    • Check and / or replace the fuel filter.
    • Remove the carburetor and fully disassemble it. Clean all passages. Check float drop and level. Adjust if necessary. You may want to remove the idle mixture screw limiter to allow for a slightly richer idle mixture adjustment.
    • Check compression. Each cylinder should be within 10% of each other.
    • Valves may be tight and need adjustment

If you're not comfortable with the carb work you could send it to me and I'd be happy to look at it for you.

Frank
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 07-08-2015 at 06:06 AM.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, 5304 and 4 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Superglidesport For This Useful Post:

etcallhome (07-08-2015)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:39 PM
    Thanks
    I have Kubota RTVs at work that I maintain and use. They are a great workhorse with a strong dump box. However they a very heavy for a side by side. Great around the yard but not something to be doing trail rides or riding fence lines with.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    etcallhome, Suppose they get it fixed, would you keep it?
    Oh, we like the machine , it seems to be built like a full size Gator just in a smaller size. Yes we would keep it if we can just the carb ---engine trouble fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    Sounds like you'd be happy with the rig if it were running properly. Looks like you've got a v-twin engine on the 12 JD XUV 550 S4. Before I'd do anything rash and expensive there are a couple of things I'd check:

• Remove both spark plugs and check condition and gap. Insulators should be near white to light tan color. Check gap to spec and adjust if necessary. If the plugs are dark / black replace them.
    • Check spark using a spark tester which is an adjustable gap test plug. You can buy one for $15 at an auto parts store. You should be getting a nice blue spark and should have 15-25 KV potential.
    • Check and / or replace the fuel filter.
    • Remove the carburetor and fully disassemble it. Clean all passages. Check float drop and level. Adjust if necessary. You may want to remove the idle mixture screw limiter to allow for a slightly richer idle mixture adjustment.
    • Check compression. Each cylinder should be within 10% of each other.
    • Valves may be tight and need adjustment

If you're not comfortable with the carb work you could send it to me and I'd be happy to look at it for you.

Frank

In order,
    I would think the dealer had checked the plugs , it was in the shop at least 5 times for the same issue

Have a spark plug tester,,, I didn't think to take the plugs out and see how they looked.

Just replaced the fuel filter Monday afternoon .. After replacing the filter noticed the new filter didn't fill up wasn't pumping fuel. At that time just had one of the clamps up on the filter. Took the filter back off made sure it was on the correct way , it was , put both clamps on and then it did start to fill the filter. Still missed, added some fuel stabilizer remembered I hadn't went I put a couple of gallons in tank.. When I bought the prem fuel I had added stabilizer and didn't think it would hurt since it was 2 maybe 3 mos old.

Neighbor has a good friend that does lawn mower repair, if Deere won't help me out , going to see if he would be willing to check the engine.

Last evening started the Gator, after the third cranking,,,sometimes it will start on the first cranking. Every since it was new, the choke has a strange (at least to me) filling. Other engines I've owned with a pull choke the choke cable would stay in the position it was pulled to, not this one you pull the choke release the handle and it goes back to the original position. ????
    As for running rich ,,I think it has ben running rich since new. Since we have the full canopy we can smell or get the burning stinging in our eyes from the exhaust in the cab.
    Yes have mentioned this to the shop and mechanic everytime it was in the shop. Shop foreman even stopped one evening and said he changed the carb settings.

Once the engine is running as in earlier postings , one time it will idle for say 15 min, if break is set and forget it is set give it gas it will stall sometimes backfire before it stalls.
    Next time it may idle 15 secs try giving it gas , backfires still same results.

Thanks for all the helpful tips , just waiting to hear now from dealer. The machine seems to be a well made machine. Will admit they had to change the shift cable and the belt setup for hard shifting issues . Since these were changed a total different machine for shifting from R to L or D.
    Going on vac at the end of the week , so not planning on getting anything done for a couple of weeks.

Will keep updating and depending on Deere or the friends mechanic ,may take you up on the offer of sending you the carb.. Thanks for the offer.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 989 Posts
    10-4. Typically these small air cooled gas engines tend to run lean as set from the factory or when the carb accumulates some debris. Yours would have to be extremely rich to the point of causing a "misfire" before you could smell it though. Too rich = Excessive CO which is colorless & odorless. If yours is running rich the color of the plugs would indicate that. They'd be dark-black. If they're white - tan it's not rich. If the plugs look OK and you can smell exhaust you may have a "lean misfire" due to a vacuum leak or too lean mixture.

After about 10 years my DR Brush Mower w. 17 HP Kawasaki V-Twin started running funny. Surging idle and slow ramp up and occasional back-fire to full throttle rpm. I checked it out and everything looked OK. Compression was good. Plugs looked like new. Drained the carb and it was clean as a whistle, no debris. I pulled the valve covers and found all the vales to be tight. I readjusted the valves according to spec and now we're A-OK. No plugs, carb work or anything else required.
    Zebrafive and Levi like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Talked with BIL last evening ,x auto mechanic, now coal miner, his first response and same as the dealer ,,,OH ITs the gas causing all the problems. Strange, have used the daughters FIL x585 and three different push mowers always put fuel stabilizer and have had no issues.
    Yes will agree the fuel is not like the old days but it should not be running the way this piece of SH_ _ has been running. Agree if all Deeres run like this , they all need to be shot and get them out of there misery.

Thanks again , might take the plugs out and see what they look like.
    Levi likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!

13. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 2,866 Posts
    etcallhome, Back in 2002 I had an issue with our Kohler Command Pro (from day one)..........
    You never know and the dealers may or may not know, my Toro dealer didn't know of any issues. The eXmark Rep knew about it and sent me the service bulletin. Just sayin.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=32463
    Levi likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast