Gator engine upgrade

Thread: Gator engine upgrade

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-20-2013 @ 02:37 PM
    Thanks

Gator engine upgrade

Hi all we have three gator 4x2 for various jobs round the farm. Trouble is they are worn, and had a hard life.

I've been toying with the idea of fitting a Diesel engine in one of the gators, for extra torque and the fact that the diesel is half the price being duty free for farm use in the uk, unlike the petrol (gas)

I'd like your opinions on this conversion, has it been done before? Will the diff need changing to cope with the slower speed of the Diesel engine?

If its viable to change the engine to diesel, what size should I be looking for, I was thinking of buying a diesel John Deere mower for the conversion

Any help advice will be most appreciated

Thanks in vice

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-24-2013 @ 11:25 AM
    Thanks

I think it would be just as cheap to buy a new Gator, and you'd have a better equipped machine
    2005 Deere 110 TLB - 3rd function loader, 3 rear remotes, thumb, top n tilt
    2000 Deere 5410 - 541 SL loader, 2 rear remotes, canopy
    2005 Deere Diesel HPX Gator - homemade cab, snow plow, hydraulic dump
    1953 Farmall Cub - front plow
    1984 Ford F8000 - Cat 3208 Diesel, 5+2 transmission, 8 yard dump
    2006 GMC 4500 Topkick Pickup outfitted by Monroe Truck

Everyone has a fair turn to be as great as he pleases - Jeremy Collier

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,086 Posts

If you were in the US, I would advise you to sell yours and purchase good used diesels. However, being in the UK I don't know if there are a lot of used diesels available, or what they cost.

I've toyed with the idea of converting my 4x2 to diesel, but there are a lot of obstacles. First is the size, there's not alot of room to fit anything much larger in there. Two is your crankshaft rotation. If you're looking at the crankshaft end of the Gator's engine, it rotates counter clockwise. I've run across a couple of small diesels that rotate clockwise. While you probably won't have to worry about it, it is worth noting. You would also need to use the clutch assembly off of the factory engine to drive the belt.

Due to the way the transaxle in the Gator is designed, you can't change much inside of it. There isn't a ring and pinion to change out like you would have in a car or tractor. I've seen some high speed kits for the 4x2 Gators, they consist of a different pulley assembly that goes on the transaxle shaft. The other alternative to make it go faster would be larger rear tires, but you'll lose torque doing that. The diesel might make up for it, but it might not. The increased torque of the engine might be more than the gasoline belt system or transaxle could handle.

Changing the transaxle would be a pretty involved project. In addition to the transmission and axle drive assemblies, it also houses the brakes. The axle housings outside the frame would need to be reused, which would mean the new drive mechanism would have to have an output to each side and fit into the space where the old one was.

An engine swap would be possible, but definitely not a weekend project without lots of planning ahead of time. I'd love to see it done, but realistically here in the US it just isn't cost effective for most folks. If you're mechanically able and just want to do it though, it would be pretty cool! Let us know what you decide!
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-23-2016 @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks

Gator Engine Carb Rejet

Last Summer I replaced the carb on my 2001 4x2 Gator. I'd had it in the shop twice for adjustments but it would go back to running poorly, so I replaced the carb. Since then it's been running fine. During my own problem research, I came across an interesting item about rejetting the carb with a bigger jet. I bought the jet as discussed in the article, but haven't gotten around to installing it. According to the article, the stock carb is leaned out and air restricted. By putting the large jet in and removing the air restrictor, the author of the article says, "it really wakes up the engine". Here is the link to the article if you would like to check into it: only runs with choke -- John Deere Gator -- Page 5 If anyone does the upgrade, I'd be interested to know how it works. The old style Gator isn't known for much speed, but it does otherwise lug around the work I give it. Merry Christmas

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 2365 For This Useful Post:

Magnet0604 (12-20-2012)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

Gator engine upgrade

I might try changing the jet first then! Any more info on the carb jet as I'm having trouble locating one over here.

Any idea what size engine I've got in my 4x2 it's dark in the morning and when I get back , to read the engine numbers!

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-09-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    I also considered an engine swap for my Gator, but like others I realized it was more economical to get a different machine. Most of the small diesels will turn 3600 rpm, same as the gas engine, so re-gearing is not an issue. You may need to tweak the centrifugal clutch to work better with the power curve of the diesel, or use a clutch from a diesel Gator. The air cooled Yanmar L100 would probably be the easiest swap but doesn't really gain you much power over the Kawasaki. I'm not sure there's enough room in the 4x2 for one of the larger water cooled engines, I suspect that's why the diesel was only available in the 6x4 Gators of that style.
    2000 355D, 54C MMM
    2008 4120, 400CX FEL

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-23-2016 @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks

Jetsrus Info

Quote Originally Posted by Magnet0604 View Post
    I might try changing the jet first then! Any more info on the carb jet as I'm having trouble locating one over here.

Any idea what size engine I've got in my 4x2 it's dark in the morning and when I get back , to read the engine numbers!
    Here is the email information for Jetsrus in Marsfield Missouri: International Shipping Your shipping will cost you more than their jet. I had mine in less than a week. You might send them an email to get their advise on what you have and what they can do for you. Again, I'm only going on what the article discussed about rejetting the Gator carb. As you know, the US specifications Vs. European standards are different. I hope this helps. Good luck

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks

Gator engine upgrade

Thanks for posts and advice!

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements